Upgrading to a new motherboard?

I'm planning on upgrading from a EVGA Z97 FTW board to something a little bit nicer and that is actually still for sale. Also because the keying on the M.2 slot for that does not match up with anything else on the market and if I were to get an adapter it would cut my PCI-E from 16x to 8x. Are there any motherboards out there that would allow me to use an M.2 SSD without the performance drop on a graphics card. Price does not matter as long as its not outrageously expensive. Thanks in advance. 

What CPU do you have right now?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

5 minutes ago, Spitfire1911 said:

I'm planning on upgrading from a EVGA Z97 FTW board to something a little bit nicer and that is actually still for sale. Also because the keying on the M.2 slot for that does not match up with anything else on the market and if I were to get an adapter it would cut my PCI-E from 16x to 8x. Are there any motherboards out there that would allow me to use an M.2 SSD without the performance drop on a graphics card. Price does not matter as long as its not outrageously expensive. Thanks in advance. 

There's no performance drop going from x16 to x8.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

2 hours ago, HPWebcamAble said:

What CPU do you have right now?

2 hours ago, Samfisher said:

There's no performance drop going from x16 to x8.

Well I guess you learn something everyday. I always thought it was the opposite but I guess that's what I get for not looking into it. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Spitfire1911 said:

Well I guess you learn something everyday. I always thought it was the opposite but I guess that's what I get for not looking into it. Thanks!

Just remember that this is an issue of available bandwidth.

So you might get a measurable drop in benchmark - if you have a top end GPU that could saturate the lanes at x8 -  but even then it would not be an FPS drop that you would notice visually as compared to x16.