Corsair 380T on a plane?

Pawz2142

Has anyone done this? What was your experience like?

I'm putting together a 'portable' VR rig that I'll be able to transport with me on a plane to use as a LAN machine as well as have the ability to show off a VR headset. So far the 380T seems like the prime candidate to be able to do this with. Other case suggestions are welcome but keep in mind that i still need a full ATX PSU, I refuse to run on a SFX until a reliable 700-800w comes out.

1 minute ago, Pawz2142 said:

I'm putting together a 'portable' VR rig that I'll be able to transport with me on a plane to use as a LAN machine as well as have the ability to show off a VR headset. So far the 380T seems like the prime candidate to be able to do this with. Other case suggestions are welcome but keep in mind that i still need a full ATX PSU, I refuse to run on a SFX until a reliable 700-800w comes out.

Is the Core 500 not smaller?

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

1 minute ago, Pawz2142 said:

Reliable SFX PSUs of about 600W exist from Silverstone which are enough to power non-overclocked 980tis in SLI... just to spook you.

So you can bring a PC on the plane if it fits in a carry-on bag and TSA can have a friendly chat with you. If a 380t fits in your carry-on bag then go for it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Reliable SFX PSUs of about 600W exist from Silverstone which are enough to power non-overclocked 980tis in SLI... just to spook you.

So you can bring a PC on the plane if it fits in a carry-on bag and TSA can have a friendly chat with you. If a 380t fits in your carry-on bag then go for it.

Asus STRIX GTX980Ti OC takes around 400-450w under full load a, that's cutting it too close for my liking. It's what I have at the moment so no SFX is not the solution I need. 

As for the 380t isn't exactly a normal shape for carry on baggage, hence why I asked for people that have already done this.

4 hours ago, TheGhzGuy said:

Is the Core 500 not smaller?

That looks like a winner, thanks.

9 hours ago, Pawz2142 said:

Asus STRIX GTX980Ti OC takes around 400-450w under full load a, that's cutting it too close for my liking. It's what I have at the moment so no SFX is not the solution I need. 

As for the 380t isn't exactly a normal shape for carry on baggage, hence why I asked for people that have already done this.

Lol, you'd easily be able to use a 5960X with a 980ti on a 600W PSU. http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-980-ti-lightning-review,9.html 600W is actually the recommended amount of a 980ti. Hell, even 980ti SLI would function without OC on a 600W PSU 

You'll live on an SFX 600W PSU, I promise. No idea who told you that 450W is a reasonable assumption for what an overclocked 980ti will use on its own but that's an overestimate by a good amount.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||