Router recommendations for fiber connection (100-150$)

erikmidtun

Hi guys!

Yesterday I got myself a networking upgrade. I switched ISP and got rid of ADSL. Now i have a fiber connection with 150/150 mb/s. I used to have 20/5, so quite the upgrade! The problem is that the wifi connection is really bad. And in some parts of the house, the connection isn't even present. The position of the router is the same as before, but this new router's wifi range is to small. There was never a problem before with the old router, but it couldn't handle the new and improved speed. I got this new router from my ISP, it's called: Genexis HRG1000. It has support for dual band which is cool, but the featureset isn't really that big.

Im wondering if you guys have some recommendations for a new router in the 100-150 usd range. Primary focus would be to boost the wifi and make it more stable. Having some new cool featrues wouldn't hurt either. I do like to share/stream my mediafiles from my computer to other devices, so some features with that in mind would be nice too.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have this model myself but if I was looking to buy something for your situation it would go to the top of my list: NETGEAR AC1750

for $150 you won't really get anything good, especially if you're looking for some good wifi solutions. 

If you can raise your price another $150, I can recommend you this http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Gigabit-R8000/dp/B00KWHMR6G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458363337&sr=8-2&keywords=blackhawk+router

I have it and it's pretty nice, especially if you can take advantage of the gigabit ports. Wifi is also tri-band, so if you have a lot of family members, it will be slightly less irritating trying to play games when they're on ;)

5 hours ago, Mornincupofhate said:

for $150 you won't really get anything good, especially if you're looking for some good wifi solutions. 

If you can raise your price another $150, I can recommend you this http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Gigabit-R8000/dp/B00KWHMR6G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458363337&sr=8-2&keywords=blackhawk+router

I have it and it's pretty nice, especially if you can take advantage of the gigabit ports. Wifi is also tri-band, so if you have a lot of family members, it will be slightly less irritating trying to play games when they're on ;)

I don't think i can spare another $150, at least not yet. Isn't there anythink good in the $200 range either? or would it be a better investment to buy homeplugs or an accespoint?

28 minutes ago, erikmidtun said:

28 minutes ago, erikmidtun said:

Edited by erikmidtun
woops

8 hours ago, Robert.pvf said:

I don't have this model myself but if I was looking to buy something for your situation it would go to the top of my list: NETGEAR AC1750

there is currently a really good deal on the AC1900, do you know if that one i better or worse? it's 83 usd off, so now it costs 143 usd. 

6 hours ago, erikmidtun said:

there is currently a really good deal on the AC1900, do you know if that one i better or worse? it's 83 usd off, so now it costs 143 usd. 

If you are streaming multiple HD movie streams to wireless clients then the faster the better. But also realize most wireless devices can't even handle the 802.11ac speeds these routers can put out yet. My suggestion would be to go to Bestbuy or something and grab a comparable router and test it at home and see how well it works for what you want then just return it (or keep it if you really like it and price was good). For use cases on different models I usually scroll through reviews on Amazon or Newegg to see what results people have had.