My Budget Build

looking into buying this budget build and want to know what you guys think. mostly playing games from Counter Strike to more demanding games just on lower settings. Is there anything that you recommend i could get cheaper or anything that is too cheap and i should upgrade. Thanks!

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/benkavanagh/saved/#view=2YGypg

You'll need a PSU, but other than that, it looks pretty good.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

it comes with the case

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

do you think 400w is enough?

Just now, BenKavanagh said:

do you think 400w is enough?

yes, but that psu isnt that great

but it'll do for a budget build :)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

another question. This might be really stupid but if i have windows 10 on my current pc will i have to buy windows again?

If you scavenge for a 2nd hand combo (processor+mobo+memory), chances are this combo (or better) will cost less then $150, meaning you save +/-$150 for a better videocard. That is $150+$170=$320 should be atleast a new r9 380 or better. Imho the 750ti is waste of money if you buy it new in a store. I do not want to be a jerk but the 950 (energy efficient model that does not need an extra power connector) is my lowest gpu threshold when i buy new parts. Your budget is so low that buying some stuff second hand is very logical.

Edit: Do youself a favor, search some sites tomorrow for 2nd hand combo's and see if you can find combo's that are atleast as fast as the one you selected. After that make a decision if you want to buy a combo 2nd hand or not. With a similar combo paired with an r9 380, you can game for the next couple of years (even cs:got2go if that ever launches). If you search well, i think that for the same budget you can get a 8320 combo second hand and a r9 380 new or also 2ndhand, whatever you prefer.

Edit 2: Nice example of how you can compare used parts to new ones (it is for gpu's but i hope you get the idea) :

But if you are stubborn, which is fine ofcourse (some people do not like to buy stuff second hand), then i would buy something like below because the cpu and gpu are still upgradable to highend stuff. PSU can handle c7 state and has got enough capacity for a i5-6500+r9 380/960/970, so it is future proof. Simply upgrade cpu+gpu and add an ssd when you feel the need to. If it is possible to squeeze 50 more dollars into this build, get an r9 380 instead of the 950, they start at $260.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($83.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H GSM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($85.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($62.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card  ($211.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($42.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $591.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-18 21:53 EDT-0400

AMD processor it is then! 3 remarks:

1) That motherboard does not overclock processors, it wastes the overclockpotential of the 6300 cpu.

2) Depending on which stockcooler comes with the 6300, a better cpu cooler would help improve overclocking performance en reduce noise levels. if you buy an overclockable chip, you should imho also buy a descent cpu cooler;

3) The motherboard does not have usb3.1 type C (10GB/s). It might be handy to get a mobo that supports that standard for future mobile devices (explanation below).

https://www.pericom.com/assets/Uploads/F3.JPG

AFIAK, there exist 4 am3+ motherboards that have USB-C and can overclock a 6300 processor:

Asrock 970A-G/3.1

Gigabyte Ga-970 Gaming

Fatal1ty 990FX Killer/3.1

Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1

So your amd build should be about $100,-- more expensive. Just so you know, if you go the am3+ (amd) route, you will not be able to upgrade to alot better stuff like you could on an intel based platform. That is the consequence of choosing an am3+ processor (the dilemma is "am3+ short term speedburst" or "1151 longer term usability and performance if you upgrade the processor"). Example: I am also running a dualcore G3258 and i can play cs:go on ultra settings. Intel dualcores are a cheap way of postponing the purchase of a more expensive and alot better processor.

Good luck, so say we all.

Edit/add:

I edited in the 3 remarks:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($137.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($42.35 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($104.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.88 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($62.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card  ($181.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: BitFenix Raider ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.98 @ NCIX)
Total: $659.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-19 08:40 EDT-0400

If you are sure that you want to buy everything new in a store and not 2nd hand, then the question is: Do you prefer a 6300+950 $650 rig or a G4400+960/380 $650 rig (and save in the meanwhile for an intel quad core processor).

13 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

AMD processor it is then! 3 remarks:

1) That motherboard does not overclock processors, it wastes the overclockpotential of the 6300 cpu.

2) Depending on which stockcooler comes with the 6300, a better cpu cooler would help improve overclocking performance en reduce noise levels. if you buy an overclockable chip, you should imho also buy a descent cpu cooler;

3) The motherboard does not have usb3.1 type C (10GB/s). It might be handy to get a mobo that supports that standard for future mobile devices (explanation below).

https://www.pericom.com/assets/Uploads/F3.JPG

AFIAK, there exist 4 am3+ motherboards that have USB-C and can overclock a 6300 processor:

Asrock 970A-G/3.1

Gigabyte Ga-970 Gaming

Fatal1ty 990FX Killer/3.1

Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1

So your amd build should be about $100,-- more expensive. Just so you know, if you go the am3+ (amd) route, you will not be able to upgrade to alot better stuff like you could on an intel based platform. That is the consequence of choosing an am3+ processor (the dilemma is "am3+ short term speedburst" or "1151 longer term usability and performance if you upgrade the processor"). Example: I am also running a dualcore G3258 and i can play cs:go on ultra settings. Intel dualcores are a cheap way of postponing the purchase of a more expensive and alot better processor.

Good luck, so say we all.

Edit/add:

I edited in the 3 remarks:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($137.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($42.35 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($104.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.88 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card  ($181.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: BitFenix Raider ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.98 @ NCIX)
Total: $659.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-19 08:40 EDT-0400

If you are sure that you want to buy everything new in a store and not 2nd hand, then the question is: Do you prefer a 6300+950 $650 rig or a G4400+960/380 $650 rig (and save in the meanwhile for an intel quad core processor).

im very interested buying second hand if i could find something. but anyway would you say the 6300+950 would be best for me? Im not too crazy about running games on max settings and just want the pc to last for a while.

Any combo that has the same performance or better as a 6300 is fine. it takes some time to figure out which 2nd hand possibilities you have and which are interesting, i can not help you with that.

11 hours ago, BenKavanagh said:

im very interested buying second hand if i could find something. but anyway would you say the 6300+950 would be best for me? Im not too crazy about running games on max settings and just want the pc to last for a while.

I will give you an example of stuff that i can find in my country offered by sellers with a descent reputation. Remember this is the asking price so maybe some prices will be lower after negotiating:

Cpu+mobo+memory kits

150 euro combo ==> ASUS Sabertooth 990FX + AMD FX-8350 + Scythe Ninja 3b Aftermarket Cooler + 16GB DDR3-1600MHz

Price still negotiable ==> AMD FX-8120BE + Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 + 16 GB (4x4 GB) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9

Gpu

175 euro ==> MSI r9 380 4GB

140 euro ==> Asus TURBO-GTX960-OC-2GD5

120 euro ==> EVGA 670

115 euro ==> Club 3D HD7950 3GB

Although you will not see as much of a performance gain going from a new 150 euro GPU to a used GPU, there is still value to be found here (just like the guide i posted stated).

General build example

Lets assume for a moment that you can find a sweet deals for a processor+memory+mobo+good cpu cooler under 175 euro. Lets add a new case and a new psu, just to be safe and give it a nice look and feel. I choose a Cooler Master N300 case 40 euro & a new 650 Watt 80+ bronze PSU will be around 60 euro. I have only spend 280 euro so far. I like the 7950 deal (it' s performance comes close to the performance of a r9 380 from what i found on the internet for only half the price) or i choose to buy a new gpu aswell.

175 euro ==> 8320+mobo+memory+good cpu cooler

105 euro ==> New case and new psu

220 euro ==> New gpu r9 380 or nvidia 960

115 euro ==> HD7950 3GB

------------ +

500 euro in total with a new case+psu+gpu

415 euro in total with a new case+psu

New price of these exact components is 750 euro in total.

What can these builds do

cs:go max settings 220fps (youtube example)

witcher 3 max settings 50 fps (youtube example)

If you go with the cheapest 415 euro build, you will have 85 euro extra to spend on better mouse+keyboard+headset or even a better monitor. Rigs like this will not perform or look second hand, i am quite sure of that.

thanks i really appreciate the help but i have trouble finding the parts i want in my area (canada) or just anywhere is NA on ebay.