Best Antivirus? ( Avast Internet Security Replacement)

Go to solution Solved by CyberMist,
6 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

well like he said

So if it's not harming anything you can live with it, mark it as an exception, or do a fresh os install to get rid of it.

scan with https://www.virustotal.com  and if most av's say its safe.. then put your file in exception.  

Fresh os install will not solve problem.. Because if av by mistake think that this process is infected, even after reinstall os it will come with same problem.. But if u have free time u can try do it... I will not hurt.. :) 

I have been using avast for the longest time, but lately its been blocking a malware and it only shows up on avst. I have tried other programs, and they don't detect it. I am assuming I should move on to a different antivirus ( Have malware bites, didnt help for this), so which one would you all recommend?

bl.PNG

Replacing Avast with another AV isn't going to make the Malware go away. A cursory google search of the object detected indicates that you could have Malware embedded in your browser. I would suggest investigating further and taking action to remove the malware.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

11 minutes ago, LunarMagicGaming said:

Have malware bites, didnt help for this

MBAM is not an antivirus

try AVIRA, Kaspersky, Bitdefender - according to AV Comparatives, those are the best AVs around

AVG (free edition)

but remember you also want malwarebytes at the same time, since malware is not the same as viruses :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

22 minutes ago, LunarMagicGaming said:

I have been using avast for the longest time, but lately its been blocking a malware and it only shows up on avst. I have tried other programs, and they don't detect it. I am assuming I should move on to a different antivirus ( Have malware bites, didnt help for this), so which one would you all recommend?

bl.PNG

Try a boot time scan with avast, that can get those out most of the time. 

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

3 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

Try a boot time scan with avast, that can get those out most of the time. 

I tried, didnt get it out at all. Uninstalled then reinstalled chrome, uninstalled, reinstalled avast. Tried numerous other methods on the internet and nothing new came out of it

Just now, LunarMagicGaming said:

I tried, didnt get it out at all. Uninstalled then reinstalled chrome, uninstalled, reinstalled avast. Tried numerous other methods on the internet and nothing new came out of it

okay, then you may just need to completely reset you browser, and run anti root kit removers like JRT and TDSS Killer

32 minutes ago, LunarMagicGaming said:

Sometimes  antiviruses take other programs as threat. For example I used Kasperky and had lots of fake alarms.   Even fraps from official website where considered as threat..   So I scanned that frap with total virus(multi engine av scanner). No threats where found... Also Had situation when by mistake my av killed my win 7 os.. So if u worry is that stuff is virus,, scan it with total virus website... 

29 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

AVG

Avg is ok, when comes performance.  I mean protection rates and how much pc power he consume..  After all there are non of av/ antimalare which can protect u 100%. Some threats pass through even from top av. even from  most overrated malwarebites. 

28 minutes ago, dappy10 said:

Malware Bytes

(and common sense xD)

read comment above.. Its overrated, plus  MB  sucks when comes backdoor virus and mostly on rootkits..  Thats why keep it without other AV  is not good option

22 minutes ago, zMeul said:

MBAM is not an antivirus

try AVIRA, Kaspersky, Bitdefender - according to AV Comparatives, those are the best AVs around

most common av can trace some malwares, some antimalwares can detect some viruses..   But when u need good av u pick av. When u need good scan for malware u pick antimalware software... 

1 minute ago, Paralectic said:

Windows Defender

Windows defender = same as no anvirus... I tested,, removed my current av, and it didn't trace any virus/malware. Even I infected on purpose.  Defender only reacted when I try install some software..  

Some guys claim its great av due it is part of microsoft  security essentials,.  But remember that defender is just small portion of that av...  

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

8 minutes ago, CyberMist said:

Sometimes  antiviruses take other programs as threat. For example I used Kasperky and had lots of fake alarms.   Even fraps from official website where considered as threat..   So I scanned that frap with total virus(multi engine av scanner). No threats where found... Also Had situation when by mistake my av killed my win 7 os.. So if u worry is that stuff is virus,, scan it with total virus website... 

Avg is ok, when comes performance.  I mean protection rates and how much pc power he consume..  After all there are non of av/ antimalare which can protect u 100%. Some threats pass through even from top av. even from  most overrated malwarebites. 

read comment above.. Its overrated, plus  MB  sucks when comes backdoor virus and mostly on rootkits..  Thats why keep it without other AV  is not good option

most common av can trace some malwares, some antimalwares can detect some viruses..   But when u need good av u pick av. When u need good scan for malware u pick antimalware software... 

Windows defender = same as no anvirus... I tested,, removed my current av, and it didn't trace any virus/malware. Even I infected on purpose.  Defender only reacted when I try install some software..  

Some guys claim its great av due it is part of microsoft  security essentials,.  But remember that defender is just small portion of that av...  

Thank you for that! You answered everything they replied in the comments. So would you say its a false positive then?

24 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

okay, then you may just need to completely reset you browser, and run anti root kit removers like JRT and TDSS Killer

I just used them, still didnt do anything to stop the popups

2 minutes ago, LunarMagicGaming said:

well like he said

13 minutes ago, CyberMist said:

So if it's not harming anything you can live with it, mark it as an exception, or do a fresh os install to get rid of it.

15 minutes ago, CyberMist said:

Thank you for that! You answered everything they replied in the comments. So would you say its a false positive then?

30 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

1 minute ago, swordsman247 said:

well like he said

It isn't harming anything, but do you think itll try to take my information, such as bank numbers or email account passwords?

6 minutes ago, LunarMagicGaming said:

Your avast found threat. Ok, u tested with other programs. They din't found threat. So there are 2 options.

1) this is not virus, but malware, and thats why other av's do not react to it.  for that u need antimalware..  Malware bites is good option to scan your pc. 

2) this is fake allarm.   To make sure that it's fake, scan your file via website https://www.virustotal.com 
Disable avast,, upload file,, and read report.. That website use multiple anvirus/antimalware engine..  So if its like 70%  of engines say its safe. Then in your avast put that file as exclusion list..  
Thats how I would do... 

6 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

well like he said

scan with https://www.virustotal.com  and if most av's say its safe.. then put your file in exception.  

Fresh os install will not solve problem.. Because if av by mistake think that this process is infected, even after reinstall os it will come with same problem.. But if u have free time u can try do it... I will not hurt.. :) 

2 minutes ago, CyberMist said:

Your avast found threat. Ok, u tested with other programs. They din't found threat. So there are 2 options.

1) this is not virus, but malware, and thats why other av's do not react to it.  for that u need antimalware..  Malware bites is good option to scan your pc. 

2) this is fake allarm.   To make sure that it's fake, scan your file via website https://www.virustotal.com 
Disable avast,, upload file,, and read report.. That website use multiple anvirus/antimalware engine..  So if its like 70%  of engines say its safe. Then in your avast put that file as exclusion list..  
Thats how I would do... 

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/9f9425fe5725e5d9b519e8dd704de02736515845a6d0eff30d2ecab285c727d5/analysis/

Looks like its just a fake popup!

2 minutes ago, CyberMist said:

could just block  from starting it all together in msconfig

Just now, LunarMagicGaming said:

or ad as exception which is a lot simpler. 

7 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

could just block  from starting it all together in msconfig

or ad as exception which is a lot simpler. 

svchost.exe is important process. and do not disable in start up.   So simply put in exception.  

1 hour ago, Julian2000nl said:

I've used it for a long time

this isn't not a reason for it to be the best.

I personally use comodo but recently been giving total security 360 (not norton) which uses bit defender and Avira engines, but you have to enable them.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 hours ago, swordsman247 said:

oh.  but more less is still important task... :) 

3 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

this isn't not a reason for it to be the best.

I personally use comodo but recently been giving total security 360 (not norton) which uses bit defender and Avira engines, but you have to enable them.

its not only matter which av/antimalware is best.. If u using laptop, u want to spent less computer power  for av and keep them for own tasks.... So its matter which av are good and cause least pc load.. If I have to choose, like great internet security, which cause higher load, or free avg I prefer avg. It maybe cause less  load.. and  also av is not responsible for users stupidity and felling for simply virus traps.. :)

If u have like strong desktop pc, then sure u can go with even most hungry security solutions.. 

however, even best protection softwares fail when user is stupid and downloading obvious threats... 

1 minute ago, CyberMist said:

oh.  but more less is still important task... :) 

Yes, definitely, but not all of the things it does are as needed as others. I turn a lot of mine off like auto update features for non Microsoft things.

Just now, swordsman247 said:

Yes, definitely, but not all of the things it does are as needed as others. I turn a lot of mine off like auto update features for non Microsoft things.

some use, some do not.  Well its matter of user, and what the doing with his pc.. And for some stuffs no one can give u advise.. :) I keep it active because I need it for certain softwares...