Gpu sag

Go to solution Solved by done12many2,

I'm not sure that it would fix the overall sag of the card completely, but that backplate is not adequately supporting the PCB or waterblock which seems to be twisting everything out of shape.  I don't see any backplate screws with the exception of those at the corner of the card.  Is that correct?

DSC_0184.thumb.JPG.1dd56316c7586168a9ee1e61149d9cf4 (1).JPG

DSC_0101.thumb.JPG.ed14435b7ff6f220c92c4DSC_0022_2.thumb.JPG.5088583404753bb4d4dFor the better part of 8 months I have had gpu sag and can not handle it anymore. I'm looking into gpu support brackets to fix the problem. There is two on the market that I see are quite popular(Puget) & (Mnpctech) but I'm not sure if they will fit/ support my particular gpu setup.

I am not sure if the riser will be high enough or if I even need it.. I have a 980 gtx hof edition with a custom water block.. The original gtx 980 hof is a very thick card and now with waterblock it's roughly 1/3 the size.. 

So my questions are is there any other brackets other then the one's I stated you would recommend?  Is there any other recommendations instead of brackets?  And is there anywhere to buy these in Canada?  I am going for something esthetically pleasing,  no wire hangers!! This is a white and black theme build.. 

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

Maybe you can plastidip white a metal hoseclamp and run it round your reservoir so the extra that sticks out holds up the gpu.

Intel 5820K OC@4.7 / MSI Raider X99 / 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200mhz / x2 EVGA 980Ti Hybrid OC @1468 / Corsair Vengeance C70 (OD Green) / 2x Samsung 840 Evo in Raid 0 / Corsair RM1000x / Corsair H110i GTX  - Firestrike Score – 26156 (so far, lol)

Wow, that's a pretty extreme case of it... honestly I'm amazed this is even physically possible without twisting the PCIe slot off the motherboard

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, dubdub said:

the most famous, stealthy fix would be to tie a fishing line to it near the power plug to the top of your case to pull it up

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

There's a huge gap between the block and the PCB and another between the PCB and the backplate. Are you sure it's not busted? That doesn't look like normal sag to me.

I have seen the fishing line trick but u can still see it and it would drive me nuts..

10 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

There's a huge gap between the block and the PCB and another between the PCB and the backplate. Are you sure it's not busted? That doesn't look like normal sag to me.

No its actually not much of a gap at all, it kinda of deceiving in that pic 

lol that wall table how can you trust it to hold your baby?

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Storage: Intel 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 4TB SSHD II PSU: Thermal Take 700w II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

15 minutes ago, dubdub said:
8 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

lol that wall table how can you trust it to hold your baby?

I actually installed that two days ago.. 32 inch long solid wood shelf that is drilled into two studs x 4 screws.. This holds 80 pounds and the wood is rated for 200 pounds.. It is kinda scary but quite sturdy, shouldn't go anywhere.. Lots of desk space now

I used the power cables to address my gpu sag, granted it was much less, just run the wires in above the cpu plug. But could also hide some fishing line in the wires and use that to get support without straining your power lines

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

20 minutes ago, dubdub said:

No its actually not much of a gap at all, it kinda of deceiving in that pic 

I have what it could look like and what it is like..  The PCB are made to flex and it certainly does with this solid nickle block... 

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG

DSC_0188.JPG

DSC_0180.JPG

I have the 970 G1 Gaming edition 3 fans with back plate my brother has the strix version 2 fans with back plates and he gets GPU sag and i don't and he has the same case as you OP but i don't think its the case i haven't  figured out yet why its sagging

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

7 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

I have the 970 G1 Gaming edition 3 fans with back plate my brother has the strix version 2 fans with back plates and he gets GPU sag and i don't and he has the same case as you OP but i don't think its the case i haven't  figured out yet why its saggingDo you know what board he is using?  The Galax series is notorious for sag.. They are one of the heavier gpus on the market 

I'm not sure that it would fix the overall sag of the card completely, but that backplate is not adequately supporting the PCB or waterblock which seems to be twisting everything out of shape.  I don't see any backplate screws with the exception of those at the corner of the card.  Is that correct?

1 minute ago, dubdub said:
8 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

I have the 970 G1 Gaming edition 3 fans with back plate my brother has the strix version 2 fans with back plates and he gets GPU sag and i don't and he has the same case as you OP but i don't think its the case i haven't  figured out yet why its saggingDo you know what board he is using?  The Galax series is notorious for sag.. They are one of the heavier gpus on the market 

he is using an AsRock fatality cant remember what model it is.

The Mnpctech support bracket works great. I am using it on my water cooled 980ti Classified. Make sure you buy the Riser kit to raise the bump stop higher. It wouldn't reach my block without it. Also you will have to buy 1 screw. 10-32 I believe it was. The one that goes through the bumper isn't long enough with the 4 extra washers installed. I've had the Puget Bracket before and I can tell you the Mnpctech version is better IMO.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Nice Catch.

Edit: Take that screw out and see if the Pcb lays back down. If it does you might need a longer screw.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

Even in this picture with you supporting the rear of the card, you can still see a bow in the PCB especially to the front of the water connections.  With that much flex I'd also be concerned that the mating surface between your block and GPU aren't absolutely perfect not to mention what may be happening with your VRM and memory contacts with the block.

DSC_0188.thumb.JPG.5779dafd2157c94094842099d8326e29.JPG

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The back plate itself yes is a little wonky due to the install but in this case is pure estics.. It serves really no purpose besides looks..  You are right there is no center screws.. U can add small and bigger sized washer risers to get the even space in between the PCB and the plate.

There is something wrong with something else... Things do NOT bend like the way your card is just by the force of gravity and cables.

Hell, my 7950 that has the WORST PCB made and then an MSI TwinFrozr III cooler (which is more massive and less supportive compared to the original XFX cooler) only allows for a little bend at the corner of the card that has the power connectors.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

9 minutes ago, dubdub said:

The back plate itself yes is a little wonky due to the install but in this case is pure estics.. It serves really no purpose besides looks..  You are right there is no center screws.. U can add small and bigger sized washer risers to get the even space in between the PCB and the plate.

That is a very thick backplate compared to your PCB.  I would venture to say that it serves more purpose than pure aesthetics.   Even if you add washers to the current mounting locations, all that's going to do is raise the height of the backplate but it will not correct the bowing of the PCB unless that backplate is pressing against something on the top of the PCB near the center?  

I would figure out how to better clamp the center section of the card before perusing the sag issue.  Once you get the PCB and backplate squared up, whatever you decide to do to fix the sag should end up being a lasting solution.

25 minutes ago, shawn finkenstead said:

Nice Catch.

Edit: Take that screw out and see if the Pcb lays back down. If it does you might need a longer screw.

I will try That and see if it works.. All the contact with heat sync and vram is fine.. It is well placed in the center of the card..  PCB flex is also fine,  but estics wise there is flaws in this block..  

I was one the first people in the world to get this block.. There was 20 pre orders that went out.. But my temps have some stayed consistent, bench Mark tests were rock solid.. I hover at 24-26 idle so I am satisfied with the performance thus far. I have yet to oc it though because everything I threw at it, it doesn't brake a sweat.

27 minutes ago, shawn finkenstead said:

The Mnpctech support bracket works great. I am using it on my water cooled 980ti Classified. Make sure you buy the Riser kit to raise the bump stop higher. It wouldn't reach my block without it. Also you will have to buy 1 screw. 10-32 I believe it was. The one that goes through the bumper isn't long enough with the 4 extra washers installed. I've had the Puget Bracket before and I can tell you the Mnpctech version is better IMO.

Thanks for this reply,  this is probably exactly what I need. Can you get this in Canada do u know or should I just bite the bullet and order from there site? 

21 minutes ago, dubdub said:
2 minutes ago, dubdub said:

Thanks for this reply,  this is probably exactly what I need. Can you get this in Canada do u know or should I just bite the bullet and order from there site? 

Pretty sure you have to order it from the Mnpctech website. They ship Worldwide so shouldn't be any issues.