How big of a rad do i need.

hello,

I finally found a compatible waterblock for my asus dcmoc mini gtx 970 (alpha cool gpx 970 m07) and i am thinking of setting up water-cooling for the card and my cpu. I was looking to get the alpha cool nexxxos lt/st with a 30mm thick 240mm long rad. this is the set with the little pump. res in the 5,25" bay and a cpu block for my i5 6400. 

the question is. is 240mm rad enough for my cpu and gpu. and will it fit fine in the cooler master silencio 352. (also, is the pump strong enough)

thanks for the help.

5 minutes ago, JPotze said:

hello,

I finally found a compatible waterblock for my asus dcmoc mini gtx 970 (alpha cool gpx 970 m07) and i am thinking of setting up water-cooling for the card and my cpu. I was looking to get the alpha cool nexxxos lt/st with a 30mm thick 240mm long rad. this is the set with the little pump. res in the 5,25" bay and a cpu block for my i5 6400. 

the question is. is 240mm rad enough for my cpu and gpu. and will it fit fine in the cooler master silencio 352. (also, is the pump strong enough)

thanks for the help.

seeing how a 980ti can be sold as a AIO unit with single 120mm, you'll do just fine

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I did the same thing with my gtx 970 and a overclocked i5. I used a 280 mm Rad and the temperaure was stable while gaming. But when stresstesting the CPU und GPU at the same time the Temperature startet to creep up on the CPU and i stoped the experiment after reaching 70 °C. I added another 240 Rad into the system to solve the problem.

Pump power should not be a problem since im using a Phobya 220 which is stills trong enough. Alphacool Radiators and GPU blocks are not very restrictive.

General rule of thumb for watercooling is 2x120mm for cpu + 120mm for every gpu you have.

It can work with what you have though. don't expect temps to be great though.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

240mm rad is fine, what fans will you be using? A 360mm would be better if you could fit it but it isn't the end of the world :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

37 minutes ago, Hoppa said:

General rule of thumb for watercooling is 2x120mm for cpu + 120mm for every gpu you have.

It can work with what you have though. don't expect temps to be great though.

General rule is to fit the biggest rad you can find :P

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

I bought the most cheapest case which were available when i build my system. quickly i discovered that my 970 was being capped by temp issues at 80 degrees. i hope that i can dial that back to around 50 or 60 with water-cooling so it is not capped by temp and maybe even OC a bit. But my cpu wil not generate much temp to the rad since my 6400 is running with a stock intel cooler atm and never rises above 35 degrees.

So i think i will replace my case for the cooler master silencio 352 and a 240 rad since that is the max what will fit in there.

I think i will be using the stock fans that comes with the alpha cool set. but eventually replace them for noctua fans optimized for pressure.

I have a micro atx motherboard with only a 4pin cpu header and a 4pin case header. How do i connect the pump and the fans to the case? do i connect the fans with a y-splitter to the case connector and the pump to the cpu connector?

18 hours ago, Seri said:

I did the same thing with my gtx 970 and a overclocked i5. I used a 280 mm Rad and the temperaure was stable while gaming. But when stresstesting the CPU und GPU at the same time the Temperature startet to creep up on the CPU and i stoped the experiment after reaching 70 °C. I added another 240 Rad into the system to solve the problem.

Pump power should not be a problem since im using a Phobya 220 which is stills trong enough. Alphacool Radiators and GPU blocks are not very restrictive.

On the contrary, Alphacool GPU blocks are among the most restrictive blocks out there. This is for the GPX GTX 980, but the actual block itself should be identical.It's the VRM cooling portion that they change between models. 

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/04/03/alphacool-nexxxos-gpx-gtx-980-m02-with-backplate-review/2/

980restriction.png

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

17 hours ago, JPotze said:

I bought the most cheapest case which were available when i build my system. quickly i discovered that my 970 was being capped by temp issues at 80 degrees. i hope that i can dial that back to around 50 or 60 with water-cooling so it is not capped by temp and maybe even OC a bit. But my cpu wil not generate much temp to the rad since my 6400 is running with a stock intel cooler atm and never rises above 35 degrees.

So i think i will replace my case for the cooler master silencio 352 and a 240 rad since that is the max what will fit in there.

I think i will be using the stock fans that comes with the alpha cool set. but eventually replace them for noctua fans optimized for pressure.

I have a micro atx motherboard with only a 4pin cpu header and a 4pin case header. How do i connect the pump and the fans to the case? do i connect the fans with a y-splitter to the case connector and the pump to the cpu connector?

If performance is the reason you want to upgrade to a water cooling loop, I actually suggest spending that money on a faster GPU instead after selling the 970. You'll get more out of that under gaming, especially if you consider how much you'll be spending for the new case, the Alphacool kit, and the Alphacool GPU block.

If you really want to go ahead, maybe look at the Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 case, since you can shove two 240s in there, and it's still a mATX, though it is bigger than the Silencio 352. You're limited in terms of how much you can upgrade in the 352.

900x900px-LL-0626132f_tube-routing.jpeg

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

4 hours ago, Jidonsu said:

-snip snip-

huh...thanks. I have not seen that graph before. 

Looks like i need to read even more, but looking at an opened up Alphacool block i have got an idea where the high resistance is coming from.