Converting an R/C car into single-rotor drone?!

ClobberXD
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
5 minutes ago, anandgeforce said:

I've got an R/C car that doesn't do good... Can I just remove the plastic chassis, and wheels, and then fix a rotor to the rear axle (one side), to have a functioning drone? The front axle can be used for left/right flaps...

the motors for RC cars probably arent made for low torque, high speed situations that are meant to be used for propellers

and then theres aerodynamics

and keeping the aircraft from tilting, spinning, and turning without control requires sensors and a microcontroller

simply speaking, its not as cut dry as just attaching rotors to the end of the car

I've got an R/C car that doesn't do good... Can I just remove the plastic chassis, and wheels, and then fix a rotor to the rear axle (one side), to have a functioning drone? The front axle can be used for left/right flaps...

Nothing to see here ;)

I think you under estimate what it takes to make a drone fly. An RC car is not going to cut it.

And flaps are useless on a helicopter. you also need another rotor to counter the torque from the back wheel, and a stabilizing force to direct lift. 

A three channel radio is not even enough to fly a plane with (technically you could do it though)

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

no

thats called a helicopter

and you require very advanced engineering design to make anything that gets off the ground

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

in theory you can.

in practisce, you need a degree in aerodynamic engineering and probably a few years of experience with aircraft.

5 minutes ago, anandgeforce said:

the motors for RC cars probably arent made for low torque, high speed situations that are meant to be used for propellers

and then theres aerodynamics

and keeping the aircraft from tilting, spinning, and turning without control requires sensors and a microcontroller

simply speaking, its not as cut dry as just attaching rotors to the end of the car

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, manikyath said:

in theory you can.

in practisce, you need a degree in aerodynamic engineering and probably a few years of experience with aircraft.

in theory you cant, the way he described it

the motor and gearbox in an RC car are not powerful enough to lift it with a rotor :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

the motor and gearbox in an RC car are not powerful enough to lift it with a rotor :P

Are the motors that weak? So shall I drop this project from my precious agenda?

Nothing to see here ;)

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

some RC cars.. i beg to differ.

but yeah, most likely not gonna happen.

4 minutes ago, anandgeforce said:

Are the motors that weak? So shall I drop this project from my precious agenda?

they are not weak

they are different

rc car motors are much lower higher kV and spin at higher RPM

they are supposed to have high acceleration and speed, not massive torque required to spin a 36" blade (yeah, you would need 36" blade to lift the weight of a regular 1/10 rc car)

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

some RC cars.. i beg to differ.

but yeah, most likely not gonna happen.

there is no RC car that has the required mechanics to fly by directly attaching a rotor to the drive shaft

its simply not possible, unless for some reason your RC car has a plane/heli motor in it, which would be ridiculous, cause rc cars are meant to go fast not slow

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

they are not weak

they are different

rc car motors are much lower higher kV and spin at higher RPM

they are supposed to have high acceleration and speed, not massive torque required to spin a 36" blade (yeah, you would need 36" blade to lift the weight of a regular 1/10 rc car)

there is no RC car that has the required mechanics to fly by directly attaching a rotor to the drive shaft

its simply not possible, unless for some reason your RC car has a plane/heli motor in it, which would be ridiculous, cause rc cars are meant to go fast not slow

it'd come down to prop design, but if OP has to ask, he's probably not up to the task, because if he was he'd most likely be working at noctua :P