making sure im not stupid (usb header issue)

TwoFace
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
Just now, TwoFace said:

sweet, thank you.

i'm gonna warn you ahead of time usb can be quite inflamatory the wrong way around.

measure twice, dont catch fire once.

standard mobo issue: too many usb 2.0 devices to install in the case, not enough usb 2.0 headers on mobo. really im just here to make sure i didnt waste my money on something i cant use... my 3 usb 2.0 devices are my corsair h110i gtx, nzxt hue+, and my standard usb ports on my case, but my mobo only has 2 usb 2.0 headers... im no tech wizard but from what i read elsewhere the standard headers on the motherboard support 2 usb inputs so that would mean if i plugged my case cables into one header and used a splitter to turn the 10 pin usb header into two 5 pin usb headers and connected the devices accordingly it should work right? to be clear both the hue+ and the h110i headers only take up a single 5 pin slot on their 10 pin connectors. here is the product i purchased: 10-Pin_USB_AC97_HD-Audio_Internal_Header

also this is the idea im going off of m_connectique7.jpg 

everything seems theoretically fine, but i dont know if there are any hardware issues passed this point.

make sure you dont plug it the wrong way around, and it'll be fine.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

sweet, thank you.

10 minutes ago, TwoFace said:

standard mobo issue: too many usb 2.0 devices to install in the case, not enough usb 2.0 headers on mobo. really im just here to make sure i didnt waste my money on something i cant use... my 3 usb 2.0 devices are my corsair h110i gtx, nzxt hue+, and my standard usb ports on my case, but my mobo only has 2 usb 2.0 headers... im no tech wizard but from what i read elsewhere the standard headers on the motherboard support 2 usb inputs so that would mean if i plugged my case cables into one header and used a splitter to turn the 10 pin usb header into two 5 pin usb headers and connected the devices accordingly it should work right? to be clear both the hue+ and the h110i headers only take up a single 5 pin slot on their 10 pin connectors. here is the product i purchased: 10-Pin_USB_AC97_HD-Audio_Internal_Header

Or, you know... you could get you one of these https://www.nzxt.com/products/iu01-USB-Expansion

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just now, TwoFace said:

sweet, thank you.

i'm gonna warn you ahead of time usb can be quite inflamatory the wrong way around.

measure twice, dont catch fire once.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2016 at 3:18 AM, manikyath said:

sweet, thank you.

Everything works great, thanks for the help!