Does bad HDD make lag

Chiken1232

Hello i got a brand new pc with the following specs
GPU: r9 390 sapphire
Ram: 8gb ddr4
Cpu: i5 6600k
so i just wonder some time i lag in game for a sec or two then its back to normal can it be because of the hdd? its kinda old i think and i got it for free its a 500gb WD harddrive please answer im getting worried

Not much .. hard drive mostly effects loading times.

Magical Pineapples

It could cause it if for some reason the game needed to load something just then, or some memory (RAM) was swapped out to the page file, but other than that it shouldn't affect frame rate.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

Not much .. hard drive mostly effects loading times.

well what can it be then :/ it happends when i play the forest some times also when i play batman arkham knight and move over a long area really fast btw im streaming at the same time

Just now, Chiken1232 said:

well what can it be then :/ it happends when i play the forest some times also when i play batman arkham knight and move over a long area really fast btw im streaming at the same time

You might need more ram than ... because i have GTA 5 on my hard drive and i don't see any difference unless your drive is old/broken the speed should be fine. 

Magical Pineapples

streaming at the same time

probably a cpu bottleneck

an i5 isnt meant for streaming and gaming at the same time under intense gaming sessions

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Chiken1232 said:

when i play batman arkham knight and move over a long area really fast

Yeah that'll do it; the game is trying to load and the HDD can't keep up.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah that'll do it; the game is trying to load and the HDD can't keep up.

well then i guess the forest maybe lag sometimes because of alpha but im not sure because im not always running in the forest

2 minutes ago, Chiken1232 said:

well then i guess the forest maybe lag sometimes because of alpha but im not sure because im not always running in the forest

No ... it could be other factors. When you play/stream is your cpu plugged at 100%?

Magical Pineapples

Drivers? Background Apps? Failed Overclock?

CEO of DevTech Studios. OS X fanboy, Windows User. Bob Marley. 

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

No ... it could be other factors. When you play/stream is your cpu plugged at 100%?

i dont really know because i cant see that because i only got 1 screen so i guess when i tab away to see how much cpu im using it gonna go down or am i wrong?

Just now, DevTechStudios said:

Drivers? Background Apps? Failed Overclock?

im not a overclocking guy i got latest drivers and i only got realtemp steam and skype and obs and amd gaming evolved and bitdefender in the background

i dont really know because i cant see that because i only got 1 screen so i guess when i tab away to see how much cpu im using it gonna go down or am i wrong?

you can check the graphs in MSI afterburner.  It keeps a decent amount of history (at least a minute I think) so you can see what it was at while playing.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

you can check the graphs in MSI afterburner.  It keeps a decent amount of history (at least a minute I think) so you can see what it was at while playing.

okey well i gonna go sleep in like 24 min so i write tomorrow about it if thats okey

Whats the Power Supply wattage? Brand? That very well could be it

Just now, DevTechStudios said:

Whats the Power Supply wattage? Brand? That very well could be it

1000w platinum from fractal design the r3 newton

1000w platinum from fractal design the r3 newton

That's not it....... Reinstall windows?

2 minutes ago, DevTechStudios said:

That's not it....... Reinstall windows?

well first i got to see how it is without streaming

18 minutes ago, Chiken1232 said:

That might be it, streaming is a RAM & CPU intensive thing not to mention internet upload bandwidth intensive as well. Have you experienced the same when not streaming?

Stampede

CPU: R9 5900X

COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

MOBO: X570 Aorus Pro (rev 1.2)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB

GPU: EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080

1 minute ago, Vash Baldeus said:

That might be it, streaming is a RAM & CPU intensive thing not to mention internet upload bandwidth intensive as well. Have you experienced the same when not streaming?

the pc is new and i have only streamed those games so i dont know yet i will try to see tomorrow but my friend sayd that its the hdd on batman because its loading stuff in that openworld game like cars enemys and props but an i5 6600k should work fine for streaming i think

the pc is new and i have only streamed those games so i dont know yet i will try to see tomorrow but my friend sayd that its the hdd on batman because its loading stuff in that openworld game like cars enemys and props but an i5 6600k should work fine for streaming i think

'Should' it is a relative term, you forget that Fatman AK has Denuvo in it. Everygame I played that has Denuvo was laggy on loads.(I.E. Fatman AK, JC3 etc) every other game that came out around same time as those without Denuvo was not lagging on my rig.

Stampede

1 minute ago, Vash Baldeus said:

'Should' it is a relative term, you forget that Fatman AK has Denuvo in it. Everygame I played that has Denuvo was laggy on loads.(I.E. Fatman AK, JC3 etc) every other game that came out around same time as those without Denuvo was not lagging on my rig.

so you think its because of the game?

3 minutes ago, Chiken1232 said:

so you think its because of the game?

Might be, dont trust me on that. Just a conclusion I came to. But try without streaming before you come to your own conclision. 

My 2cents here are the fact Fatman AK came out broken initially onto PC, might be the cause too.

Stampede

HDD's can cause issue in game if its faulty, because while Windows tries to do its other functions, a process can become non responsive which may queue requests. Overall system performance will cause issues with running applications like games. 

Given the other specs of the computer, now might be a good time to go for an SSD

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA