backlit keycaps for cherry mx?

tROVLET
Go to solution Solved by ShaithEatery,

Just bought my second set of the Vortex Backlit PBT Doubleshot keycaps for my new Ducky keyboard at work, as far as PBT Backlit keycaps go they're about the only thing I've personally seen out there, and they feel very good IMO.  The only downside is the number row doesn't quite show the numbers via backlight lighting due to the LED on Cherry switches being on the top of the switch, meaning anything with symbols on the top and bottom will only have the top character shining.  Below is the Amazon link, they have them in black and white (link is for the black).  Sometimes they show up on Massdrop but typically are maybe $5 cheaper than Amazon after the savings.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Black-Doubleshot-backlit-Keycaps-Pc/dp/B00XABAR2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457979852&sr=8-1&keywords=vortex+pbt+backlit

Edit: Also keep in mind, these are standard sized keycap replacements.  If you have a Corsair or Razer keyboard, these do not have standard sized keys on the bottom row (space bar, alt, ctrl, windows key, etc.).  I originally got mine for my Corsair RGB K95, and I was able to get everything to fit except the space bar and windows keys, so they will work with a few exceptions.

Hi i want to buy some custom backlit keycaps

even pbt backlit

but i couldnt find much /: anyone know's where to get em
\

Just bought my second set of the Vortex Backlit PBT Doubleshot keycaps for my new Ducky keyboard at work, as far as PBT Backlit keycaps go they're about the only thing I've personally seen out there, and they feel very good IMO.  The only downside is the number row doesn't quite show the numbers via backlight lighting due to the LED on Cherry switches being on the top of the switch, meaning anything with symbols on the top and bottom will only have the top character shining.  Below is the Amazon link, they have them in black and white (link is for the black).  Sometimes they show up on Massdrop but typically are maybe $5 cheaper than Amazon after the savings.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Black-Doubleshot-backlit-Keycaps-Pc/dp/B00XABAR2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457979852&sr=8-1&keywords=vortex+pbt+backlit

Edit: Also keep in mind, these are standard sized keycap replacements.  If you have a Corsair or Razer keyboard, these do not have standard sized keys on the bottom row (space bar, alt, ctrl, windows key, etc.).  I originally got mine for my Corsair RGB K95, and I was able to get everything to fit except the space bar and windows keys, so they will work with a few exceptions.

1 minute ago, ShaithEatery said:

Thank you mate!
How does the pbt feels compared to double shot abs?

Also,Can ibuy somewhere the custom? like the miami tai hao with backlit ?

1 minute ago, tROVLET said:

Thank you mate!
How does the pbt feels compared to double shot abs?

Also,Can ibuy somewhere the custom? like the miami tai hao with backlit ?

I absolutely love the PBT feel compared to ABS.  I have fairly oily hands, so after only a few days of using ABS keycaps, they feel too click for my liking.  These Vortex PBT keycaps in particular feel very textured and continue to feel the same after having used them for a couple of months.

As far as other PBT keycaps that support backlighting, I don't think there's much else out there due to having to use both PBT for the main keycap, and POM plastic for the clear part that lets the light shine through the lettering.  It requires a completely different manufacturing process as far as I understand it, so that's why they're not nearly as common.

2 minutes ago, ShaithEatery said:

I absolutely love the PBT feel compared to ABS.  I have fairly oily hands, so after only a few days of using ABS keycaps, they feel too click for my liking.  These Vortex PBT keycaps in particular feel very textured and continue to feel the same after having used them for a couple of months.

As far as other PBT keycaps that support backlighting, I don't think there's much else out there due to having to use both PBT for the main keycap, and POM plastic for the clear part that lets the light shine through the lettering.  It requires a completely different manufacturing process as far as I understand it, so that's why they're not nearly as common.

Damn, that sucks!
I realy wanted some cool colors xD

What about the abs caps with diffrent color's? are there any sets out there?

1 minute ago, tROVLET said:

Damn, that sucks!
I realy wanted some cool colors xD

What about the abs caps with diffrent color's? are there any sets out there?

There are tons of ABS backlit keycaps out there, including fully translucent ones and different styles.  I haven't really looked into them much since I wanted PBT specifically, so I don't really have anything to link you but you should be able to find options for Cherry MX pretty easily.

9 minutes ago, ShaithEatery said:

There are tons of ABS backlit keycaps out there, including fully translucent ones and different styles.  I haven't really looked into them much since I wanted PBT specifically, so I don't really have anything to link you but you should be able to find options for Cherry MX pretty easily.

Damn all I find is some random black/white keycaps

something like this:

wCak6uG.jpg

Keep an eye on Massdrop, they have various sets come up periodically. Drops are updated pretty often, but if you check weekly you won't miss anything. 

I kinda regret not getting in on the Vortex white backlit caps, I have the black but I have a new keyboard coming in that could really use white. The difference between PBT and ABS, is kinda hard to describe. You gotta really feel em, it's not just the slickness on ABS, there's just 'something' else that feels different. I don't like how some of the Vortex double shot the lettering isn't completely smooth on my black set... mine had some less used keys that you could feel where the lettering was (<>?shift keys maybe others, but those are the ones I use and noticed on)

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

21 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Keep an eye on Massdrop, they have various sets come up periodically. Drops are updated pretty often, but if you check weekly you won't miss anything. 

I kinda regret not getting in on the Vortex white backlit caps, I have the black but I have a new keyboard coming in that could really use white. The difference between PBT and ABS, is kinda hard to describe. You gotta really feel em, it's not just the slickness on ABS, there's just 'something' else that feels different. I don't like how some of the Vortex double shot the lettering isn't completely smooth on my black set... mine had some less used keys that you could feel where the lettering was (<>?shift keys maybe others, but those are the ones I use and noticed on)

Thanks bro

I just got my black translucent ABS keycaps from Massdrop, which would be the 2nd standalone set of caps I've ever purchased so now I have something to compare my first order of caps to (Vortex black PBT + POM backlit). 

The ABS caps have not legends, so it's not a fair comparison of that qualitywise, however... the Vortex came in a plastic bag, all just jumbled together like they just toss em into a bag. The caps I just got had them in a bag which is sectioned so each row of keys is kept separate. Very nice and organized, I can only imagine that if they had legends they'd actually be in order of qwerty layout... 

I don't know who the manufacturer of the caps are, but I'm assuming its more or less the same as MaxKeyboard's translucent keycap set without legend options. With shipping they came out to $27.

IMG_2181.JPG

Ahhh, I've got my caps and clear o-rings, just waiting for the keyboard now. waku waku

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

I've been using my Corsair K70 for almost 2 years with the stock ABS keycaps.

About 2 hours ago I received my order from mechanical keyboards for a set of Vortex PBT Double Shot Backlit keycaps ( white )

OH MY WORD !!!! - what a difference the PBT makes -

it's a totally new experience typing on PBT - addictive and very satisfying -

The most immediate noticeable difference is the weighty feel of the keycaps - they just feel soooo much better than the paper thin ABS the K70 ships with.

Secondly - there's a much lower pitched sound when bottoming out - very satisfying - makes you want to type forever -

Then there's the actual feel of the PBT plastic - its not as rough as I expected - but it feels grippy - just perfect - its not at all sticky feeling like ABS feels after your hands sweat.

I haven't used these keycaps long enough to write a review but from what I can tell so far they were absolutely worth it - All the hype was true - PBT double Shot is 100%

better than ABS - PERIOD - I don't care what anyone else thinks or says - I prefer PBT over ABS any day.

To sum it all up - I'm over the moon with the feel of these keycaps - if at any future date I buy another keyboard I will DEFINITELY be upgrading the keycaps to Double Shot PBT

worth every penny .!!

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

Ok, I've just installed all the O-rings and after handling the plain ABS caps, I'd say there less difference from PBT than I'd noticed before. 

The thing is, I've only ever used ABS laser engraved keycaps. These caps are essentially a translucent cap coated with an opaque layer then the opaque layer is lasered off for the legend. That opaque layer has always had a very smooth/slippery feeling to them. 

These plain translucent caps don't have a smooth/slippery feel to them. They actually feel about the same it seems, tho ppl do say that over time ABS will become shiny after some time. Problem I had with ABS laser engraved was they always started kinda smooth anyways, and the laser engraving left something you could feel with your fingertips which is distracting.