Verizon and locked bootloaders

Mew
Go to solution Solved by Bajantechnician,
5 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

My upgrade is available early so I'll be going to the Verizon store tomorrow to upgrade to the S7. Hearing that Verizon phones have locked bootloaders that are not unlockable, is it true that you won't be able to flash to any rom of your choice with any Verizon phone? 

correct.

also, if you flash custom roms even from other providers, it should 99% of the time void the warranty

My upgrade is available early so I'll be going to the Verizon store tomorrow to upgrade to the S7. Hearing that Verizon phones have locked bootloaders that are not unlockable, is it true that you won't be able to flash to any rom of your choice with any Verizon phone? 

5 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

correct.

also, if you flash custom roms even from other providers, it should 99% of the time void the warranty

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

correct.

That's so dumb on Verizon's part. Also, what does it mean when you "trip Knox"? 

Yeah Verizon usually locks the bootloader, but they unlock the phone.

Sucks to have Verizon :/

My Verizon Note 5 has the bootloader unlocked. 

1 minute ago, Bubblewhale said:

Yeah Verizon usually locks the bootloader, but they unlock the phone.

Sucks to have Verizon :/

My Verizon Note 5 has the bootloader unlocked. 

Yea, I like that Verizon unlocks all their LTE phones. How do you go about unlocking the bootloader? 

Just now, kurahk7 said:

Yea, I like that Verizon unlocks all their LTE phones. How do you go about unlocking the bootloader? 

Just hang around the Android XDA forums and hope that somebody can find a solution.

Older phones were able to be unlocked by a small dev or so, but nowadays it's harder to do. 

7 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

That's so dumb on Verizon's part. Also, what does it mean when you "trip Knox"? 

Knox is a bit flag that is set to 1 whenever you flash a third party rom or a custom recovery kernel. Having a tripped knox basically equals voided warranty, since it's impossible to reset knox.

Source: https://www.kingoapp.com/help/samsung-knox-counter.htm

My username was supposed to be maxzhu273 but I typoed and the "x" was left out.

Made with love <3
                 -Cat

5 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Just hang around the Android XDA forums and hope that somebody can find a solution.

Older phones were able to be unlocked by a small dev or so, but nowadays it's harder to do. 

Alright, thanks.

3 minutes ago, mazhu273 said:

Knox is a bit flag that is set to 1 whenever you flash a third party rom or a custom recovery kernel. Having a tripped knox basically equals voided warranty, since it's impossible to reset knox.

Source: https://www.kingoapp.com/help/samsung-knox-counter.htm

Wow..... that's more intrusive than even Apple. 

Just saw this: http://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-pay-not-supported-on-knox-tripped-devices/

So basically, once Verizon and Samsung stop rolling out updates, If I want to continue to use an updated version of Android, I will lose Samsung Pay. That is messed up.