BSOD when idling, after upgrade to R9 390

Hey peeps.

I recently upgraded from my old Radeon HD 5870 to a Sapphire Nitro R9 390, and i keep gettings blue screens when my PC stands idle for a couple of minutes.
My complete specs are:
MoBo: ASRock Z170 Gaming K6
CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz 

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 x 16GB
GPU: Sappire Nitro R9 390 at 1144MHz

SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo
PSU:  Corsair CX Series 750M

The bsod happens just the same with no overclock, as i overclocked after noticing the issue, to see if it'd change anything.

As i said, the blue screens only happens when i'm idling, completely idling; When i'm surfing the web, gaming, benchmarking or stresstesting, it all runs flawlessly.
It's also fine if i just leave a youtube playlist or something running.
The issue arose after the graphics card upgrade, so i'm obviously thinking that it's the culprit, but it just seems odd to me that i can play demanding games for hours on end without issues, if it's a bad card.

So far i've tried:

Disabling the power management in windows.
Completely uninstalling graphics drivers and re-installing, non-beta drivers.
Ran sfc /Scannow, which did find errors that it said it has corrected, but the issue persists.
Done windows update.

So i turn to you, denizens of the LTT forum; What have i missed?

Well, A good starting point imo is to un

plug the graphics card and see if it bsod with just onboard graphics. Are you able to test that?

What if, your legs. Didn't Know. They were legs????

1 minute ago, Patrick0Hansen said:

Hey peeps.

I recently upgraded from my old Radeon HD 5870 to a Sapphire Nitro R9 390, and i keep gettings blue screens when my PC stands idle for a couple of minutes.
My complete specs are:
MoBo: ASRock Z170 Gaming K6
CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz 

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 x 16GB
GPU: Sappire Nitro R9 390 at 1144MHz

SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo
PSU:  Cooler Master CX Series 750M

The bsod happens just the same with no overclock, as i overclocked after noticing the issue, to see if it'd change anything.

As i said, the blue screens only happens when i'm idling, completely idling; When i'm surfing the web, gaming, benchmarking or stresstesting, it all runs flawlessly.
It's also fine if i just leave a youtube playlist or something running.
The issue arose after the graphics card upgrade, so i'm obviously thinking that it's the culprit, but it just seems odd to me that i can play demanding games for hours on end without issues, if it's a bad card.

So far i've tried:

Disabling the power management in windows.
Completely uninstalling graphics drivers and re-installing, non-beta drivers.
Ran sfc /Scannow, which did find errors that it said it has corrected, but the issue persists.
Done windows update.

So i turn to you, denizens of the LTT forum; What have i missed?

When its idling maybe  the frequency reaches such a low point that when the OS requests something it just crashes becasue the GPU cant display it in time. Highly unlikely but thats all i can think of really. Its definitely a power delivery issue though. try reinstalling the GPU and replugging the power cables

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

1 minute ago, CarterTJames said:

Well, A good starting point imo is to un

plug the graphics card and see if it bsod with just onboard graphics. Are you able to test that?

I can try that, but as i said; The issue wasn't present when i ran my old HD 5870 in the same hardware.

As for power delivering, wouldn't i have the issue when i was running at 100% load (where there is no issue) instead of at idle?

I'll try both you suggestions and tell how it goes.

Just now, Patrick0Hansen said:

I can try that, but as i said; The issue wasn't present when i ran my old HD 5870 in the same hardware.

As for power delivering, wouldn't i have the issue when i was running at 100% load (where there is no issue) instead of at idle?

I'll try both you suggestions and tell how it goes.

As i stated it could be that when it reaches such a low power state the graphics card just simply wont receive instructions anymore. I'm not too sure.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

43 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Cooler Master CX750M?

Do you mean Corsair CX750M?

I really hate to say this but I think it might be your PSU.

Yes i did, mistype there :P

Well, i just don't see how? The PC ran fine with the old GFX card, i have just pulled out the R9 390 and it indeed ran fine on onboard graphics and it also runs fine even at 100% load on the R9 390.

I'd considered that it may have been the PSU performing poorly under very low load, but the onboard graphics of the i5-6600k should have less of a load than an r9 390 even on idle.

Just now, Patrick0Hansen said:

Yes i did, mistype there :P

Well, i just don't see how? The PC ran fine with the old GFX card, i have just pulled out the R9 390 and it indeed ran fine on onboard graphics and it also runs fine even at 100% load on the R9 390.

I'd considered that it may have been the PSU performing poorly under very low load, but the onboard graphics of the i5-6600k should have less of a load than an r9 390 even on idle.

What old GPU?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What old GPU?

Radeon HD 5870

30 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:
28 minutes ago, Patrick0Hansen said:

Radeon HD 5870

Are you sure it isn't driver related?

It may be, but in that case i need to find an older driver since i'm having the issue with both the newest beta driver and latest "official" driver, which seems a bit odd if it is in fact the driver.

I tried disabling ultra-fast boot and the R9 390's UEFI bios to no avail.

I've also noticed that it happens around the 4 minute mark every time, it doesn't seem to just randomly crash when idle.

Check what amps the PSU can deliver on the 12v rails. GPUs have minimum requirements.

5 hours ago, losyav said:

hello

since your gpu can handle gaming for hours and stress testing then

the proplem I think is from your PSU

that Corsair PSU is terrible

that PSU according to corsair website is only for basic desktop pc not a gaming pc

I think the psu does not give enough maybe low power when idle so you get bsod

please get a seasonic psu for gaming

I have same sapphire r9 390 nitro as you

yesterday I idled my pc for 4 hours completely idle without any proplem

I have seasonic g650 .

I'll try to get my hands on another psu and see if that helps, it just seems odd to me when it can idle with onboard graphics (which should use even less power than idling with the r9 390)

2 minutes ago, losyav said:

sapphire r9 390 nitro is not the same as onboard

but just try to get a good psu from a friend or someone and see if it work

so then buy a good psu like seasonic .

I'll try that; If i in fact find that the PSU is the issue, would the "Sea Sonic M12II-750 Bronze Evo Edition" be acceptable? 

1 minute ago, losyav said:

THAT PSU IS IN  The Top list OF Power Supplies.

but if the seasonic g650 is cheaper it will work good also .

Great ^_^ 
Well, the price difference between the g650 and the M12II-750 Evo is about 5$ over here, so i guess i'm going with the evo.

Well, update, i borrowed a PSU off a friend and the BSOD continued, but i still think i've managed to fix the issue.
Apparently the whole issue was cause by an error in my 1.5 month old windows 10 install.
Reinstalled windows because i was having some (seemingly at the time) unrelated issues, and the bsod-on-idle went away.

I have however only installed updated drivers for the r9 390, haven't installed for motherboard or peripherals yet, so we'll see how that goes.