I'm confused with CPU's

Hi there tech tips community, I'm very confused with CPUs at the moment, my friend tells me that his i5 non k version is overclockable and says that it can out perform the tops series and CPUs but what makes the i5 CPUs so strong? Is it cache? Is it cores? Is it frequency? Because I was planning on purchasing an i5 soon but now I don't know if I should opt for the k or not and which i5 should I get? The new skylake? But in general what makes these CPUs stronger say to my current 3.5ghz quad core apu , a10 7800 , it has a higher frequency than an i5 but what makes the i5 so much stronger? And would it be worth upgrading from my current apu to this CPU if all I play are MMOs like wow wildstar swtor? Mostly wow though... I'm really confused with what makes a CPU strong? Why is the i5 so highly rated... I need guidance!

i3's will generally only have 2 cores and 4 threads

i5's can do 4 cores and 4 threads but they are great for budget gaming rigs mainly because you can grab one and overclock it to 4.7 Ghz like i did :P

i7's are fucking insane xD they can use 4 cores and 8 threads and the good ones can use 8 cores and 16 threads. 

P.S the K means its unlocked to overclocking and is designed to be overclocked

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

What does that mean, does that make it worth it to upgrade to i5 for wow and which i5 and k or non k?

Just now, ProKeero said:

i3's will generally only have 2 cores and 2 threads

i5's can do 4 cores and 4 threads but they are great for budget gaming rigs mainly because you can grab one and overclock it to 4.7 Ghz like i did :P

i7's are fucking insane xD they can use 4 cores and 8 threads and the good ones can use 8 cores and 12 threads. 

The i3's usually have 4 threads

What do instructions per clock mean and how does it affect performance so much?

Just now, ChrisLombart said:

What does that mean, does that make it worth it to upgrade to i5 for wow and which i5 and k or non k?

try the i5 4690k or i5 3570k for the best i5 potential :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

How many processes it can do at a certain frequency (GHz)

What does what mean? You should be quoting people so they know you're responding to them.

Do you have acceptable performance in WoW to you? If so, stick with what you have. If you are stuck on upgrading, do you want to overclock?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, pckid said:

The i3's usually have 4 threads

Opps sorry about that xD 

Just now, pckid said:

How many processes it can do at a certain frequency (GHz)

It's how many instructions are executed per clock.

If you have 10 instructions executed per clock at say 4GHz, which is 4,000,000,000 cycles per second, the CPU will execute 40 billion instructions per second total.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

i3's will generally only have 2 cores and 2 threads

i7's are fucking insane xD they can use 4 cores and 8 threads and the good ones can use 8 cores and 12 threads. 

8 cores would be 16 threads lol

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

It's how many instructions are executed per clock.

If you have 10 instructions executed per clock at say 4GHz, which is 4,000,000,000 cycles per second, the CPU will execute 40 billion instructions per second total.

Oh, I wasn't exactly sure what it was and I was trying to put it in a simpler form.

Just now, afyeung said:

8 cores would be 16 threads lol

Lol sorry i keep getting the threads wrong i'm an idiot xD

For World Of Warcraft? Get an i5 non k. It's not a very demanding game.

You will also want to look into a discrete graphics card though.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

2 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

my friend tells me that his i5 non k version is overclockable

while this is true, but its unofficial and you might break things if you do

2 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

says that it can out perform the tops series and CPUs

the latest i5 6600k is pretty powerful, but i dont think it can take on the strongest cpus like the i7 5960x or things of that sort

3 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

but what makes the i5 CPUs so strong? Is it cache? Is it cores? Is it frequency?

different cpu architecture have different IPC, instruction per clock, means how many things can be executed per clock

so having higher clock with low IPC is pointless, but if comparing processor with same architecture, the faster clock speed usually results in higher performance per core

cores have to do with how many things can be passed through at once, think of it as how many stomach u have to digest food, the more stomach, the faster you can digest food

frequency is just how many clocks per second the processor go through

6 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

Because I was planning on purchasing an i5 soon but now I don't know if I should opt for the k or not and which i5 should I get?

if you opt for the K series, you would need to get an overclocking motherboard, for the skylakes its any motherboard with the z170 chipset

getting an overclockable chip allows you to raise your performance slightly at the cost of higher temperature and wattage

7 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

The new skylake?

my opinion on this is, if you have ddr3 platform, you can invest in haswell, since the performance difference between skylake and haswell is not that big of a gap and you save some money on RAM, but if you wanna go DDR4, you can get the skylake

8 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

But in general what makes these CPUs stronger say to my current 3.5ghz quad core apu , a10 7800 , it has a higher frequency than an i5 but what makes the i5 so much stronger?

because the newest i5 6th gen have a more advanced architecture, the IPC is higher and thus can execute more instruction per clock

9 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

And would it be worth upgrading from my current apu to this CPU if all I play are MMOs like wow wildstar swtor?

a cpu normally required you to pair with a GPU if you plan to game on it, but if you're not into hardcore gaming, the integrated graphics is fine too

APU have stronger integrated graphics, but APUs, as of today, have much lower performance in the cpu side so its generally wiser to go with cpu + gpu combo

also, APU is mostly used for light gaming, if you're into more serious games, you would need a CPU and GPU combo

11 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

Mostly wow though... I'm really confused with what makes a CPU strong? Why is the i5 so highly rated... I need guidance!

what makes a cpu strong is how many instruction can it complete in the shortest amount of time,

but it also depends on your use for the processor

for example, most games only requires 4 cores and video editing can use alot of cores

so if u got a 8 core cpu, games wouldnt benefit much from it while video editing will benefit a lot

sry for the long post, and i ran out of potato, pls dont sue me

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

11 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

I would say it isn't worth to upgrade to any of them, since wow isn't a that demanding game. 

If you upgraded to an i5 you would need to get a new motherboard, a dedicated graphics card, and, ofc, a i5 which is about 200€ too.

But i think a APU is perfectly fine for a mmo (ran gw2 better on a apu, than on a 265M).

And if you decided to upgrade, then i would go with the non k, since you don't seem as you had the wish to overclock your system

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

the latest i5 6600k is pretty powerful, but i dont think it can take on the strongest cpus like the i7 5960x or things of that sort

Honestly though. When do you ever need so fast cpu? Other than epeen. Unless you're going to run 200 wow bots or something.

9 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

i3's will generally only have 2 cores and 4 threads

i7's are fucking insane xD they can use 4 cores and 8 threads and the good ones can use 8 cores and 16 threads. 

Pretty sure i3's have 2 cores and 4 threads

1 minute ago, xgn said:

Honestly though. When do you ever need so fast cpu? Other than epeen. Unless you're going to run 200 wow bots or something.

well triple A games nowadays do use lots of cores, im expecting DX12 to push things even further :D

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

For World Of Warcraft? Get an i5 non k. It's not a very demanding game.

You will also want to look into a discrete graphics card though.

I'm getting an r9 280x for it soon so I think that's good enough and also if I have the budget should I opt for the skylake k version or save some money with like the 4690 , also these can overclock even without the k?

So would a non k version of a lower frequency CPU like the I5 4690 do much better than my 3.5 GHz apu? Paired with my 280x?

7 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

I'm getting an r9 280x for it soon so I think that's good enough and also if I have the budget should I opt for the skylake k version or save some money with like the 4690 , also these can overclock even without the k?

If you have the budget, sure go for the 6600k.

280x is good.

The overclocking-non-k-cpus-thing is totally unintentional. I don't know the specifics at this point, I believe it no longer works. Don't count on it working.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well triple A games nowadays do use lots of cores, im expecting DX12 to push things even further :D

Use a lot of core and? csgo use about 1% load on my system. i have around 85-90mibs IPC the 5960x have 235mibs.

Use more cores for what? what game is so demanding.

So let's say I could pick between saving money with the 4460 or should I go with the 4690? For wow would the 4460 still be fantastic? Or should I opt for the more expensive one?