Help Me Make an Old Desktop Into A LAN media Server

Soo..... I have spent the past week ripping all of my family's dvds into .mp4's and would like to setup a media server to host them on our local network. I currently have four options here.

One is to go out and buy an external HDD and hook that up to my linksys 6350 router, and use its internal media server capabilities (I currently don't have the funds for the ex hdd).

Two, install windows onto this old desktop i have (Intel core2duo E4200, 3gb ram, 140gb hdd, , 32 bit) and use windows media server. 

Three, Install linux (never used before), and some media server program.

Four, use some media server program as the os. (need help choosing one)

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

Depends somewhat on how you intend to consume that content. Do you have a smart tv with a plex client? Media pc hooked up to tv? 

My suggestion would be use the old desktop as a media server and install Ubuntu + plex. Or just make network shares off the machine and access the content  that way, mind you that's just doing what the router would do. 

CPU: i5-6600k GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti Ram: 16GB DDR4 SSD: Samsung 950Pro 512gb m.2

I'd suggest you install Ubuntu and use standard file sharing. IMPORTANT: you'll need to install windows file sharing protocol on Ubuntu, you can just google that. I've used Plex once, but it's FULL of limitations, you can unlock features by paying while standard file sharing works fine and is free.

If you want to access your server from outside your house, you can use free software called Tonido. This program allows you to log onto your server trough the webbrowser of any pc that is connected to the internet.

I wouldn't use windows on the server, because it's expensive, but if you already own a licence that's not a problem.