In a pickle with Steam.

Ddm5
Go to solution Solved by Bad2049,

Step 1 - Shutdown PC and disconnect HDD

Step 2 - Go back into Windows and uninstall Steam

Step 3 - Reconnect HDD (from shutdown) and turn PC back on

Step 4 - Install Steam to your preferred location

Step 5 - Enjoy!

Right, so last night I decided to reinstall windows completely on my SSD, wiped it, backed up everything to my HDD and so on, the problem I've run into is that I've accidently installed steam onto my SSD and went through the settings in steam, located my other games and it's instantly recognised the 21 games I had installed. My problem is, can I simply uninstall Steam from the SSD, reinstalling it to the HDD without it wiping the current installed games?

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

Uninstalling steam would delete all your games. So you gotta move your games before you uninstall.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Right, so last night I decided to reinstall windows completely on my SSD, wiped it, backed up everything to my HDD and so on, the problem I've run into is that I've accidently installed steam onto my SSD and went through the settings in steam, located my other games and it's instantly recognised the 21 games I had installed. My problem is, can I simply uninstall Steam from the SSD, reinstalling it to the HDD without it wiping the current installed games?

As long as the game files are on the HDD, and you can point steam to them when you've re-installed, you can install steam wherever you like. I don't see why uninstalling steam would make it delete all your games.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Make a copy of Steamapps, and optionally, userdata. Simply install Steam wherever you want, then copy over both folders and have it overwrite anything in the install directory. Steam will do the rest when you launch it. 

The other option, since you already have a backup, is to copy Steam.exe, Steamapps to any location, delete everything else. Then launch steam.exe and it'll update to the latest version. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Step 5 - Enjoy!

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

I don't see why uninstalling steam would make it delete all your games.

Don't know. Maybe they changed it. Last time I uninstalled steam and all my game were in the steam directory under steam apps,the uninstall deleted all my games.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Step 5 - Enjoy!

Pretty much done that, though I had to wrestle to get steam to install the service / repair. 

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7