Openstacks for Business Servers

Well , I guess you can say openstack is sort of a deployment tool to create many mini servers on one server. Openstacks is a way to see what YOU want to see , no more OpenVM or whatever that junkware has to offer. Openstacks creates an area where you can have your bladeserver or just a regular server run mini servers for people that want to RDP to and build sites and have minecraft servers or what not. Openstacks is used by Amazon Web Service. You can sell it but it may be complex. Now if you wanna try this just install Ubuntu Server without GUI and follow the guild ill be leaving below (This is Devstack, same thing . It has issues with running in a virtual machine such as VMWare or VM Box. To fix it , you may need to configure network properties in those programs so it can have its own local ipv4.)

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    i7-3960x
  • Motherboard
    generic x79
  • RAM
    ballistic ddr3 8gb @ 1600mhz
  • GPU
    sapphire r7 250 2 gb gddr3
  • Case
    Lepra, Some LED Fans and a glass window
  • Storage
    1 500gb wd blue hdd
  • 1 1tb toshiba hdd
    1 320gb wd blue
  • PSU
    seagate 400w 
  • Display(s)
    element tv, HNC 720p monitor 
  • Cooling
    2 LED fans 1 Fans
  • Keyboard
    LED vander life keyboard
  • Mouse
    LED vander life mouse
  • Sound
    RIG ps4 headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 , soon 10.13 hackintosh

FOT9D32.JPG

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    i7-3960x
  • Motherboard
    generic x79
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
    1 500gb wd blue hdd
  • 1 1tb toshiba hdd
    1 320gb wd blue
  • PSU
    seagate 400w 
  • Display(s)
    element tv, HNC 720p monitor 
  • Cooling
    2 LED fans 1 Fans
  • Keyboard
    LED vander life keyboard
  • Mouse
    LED vander life mouse
  • Sound
    RIG ps4 headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 , soon 10.13 hackintosh

Wow. You have no clue what your talking about. 

First, it is called OpenStack, not OpenStacks. 

Second, by no means does it run Amazon Web Services. 

Third, it is designed as a Platform as a Service tool for building a dynamic platform for services. This could be virtual machines, containers, or data storage. 

Fourth, devstack works perfectly fine in a VM. The base instructions suggest testing it in a VM. All of the testing of openstack runs purely in VMs, this includes the launching of VMs from the nova api as part of the running of tempest (the openstack integration testing tool). 

Dont believe me go to http://status.openstack.org/zuul/ and scroll to the bottom and look at the nodes graph. That is showing the building and usage of VMs launched in multiple cloud providers in order to run devstack on in order to run tempest against code changes for the openstack code bases. 

Just to elaborate a bit more, OpenStack is the kind of system you want to use if you want to build a huge cloud infrastructure. Traditionally it provides infrastructure as a service (IaaS) but on top of it you can also provide platform as a service (PaaS) or software as a service (SaaS). OpenStack, in my opinion, is by far the most complex and way over engineered solution for this as it uses tons of micro-services to build up one system. Maybe this is necessary for huge cloud deployments, but i find that other solutions like CloudStack, OpenNebula, Eucalyptus, etc... work just as well.

DevStack on the other hand is a script that can create a simplified OpenStack environment based on the answers of a few questions. This environment can be run on a single machine as Xhypno402 pointed out, but it is designed to be used to development purposes only. DevStack skips a lot of the security and hardening feature configuration. It also builds the most simple infrastructure possible, which may not be what you need.

1 hour ago, F4S4K4N said:

Just to elaborate a bit more, OpenStack is the kind of system you want to use if you want to build a huge cloud infrastructure. Traditionally it provides infrastructure as a service (IaaS) but on top of it you can also provide platform as a service (PaaS) or software as a service (SaaS). OpenStack, in my opinion, is by far the most complex and way over engineered solution for this as it uses tons of micro-services to build up one system. Maybe this is necessary for huge cloud deployments, but i find that other solutions like CloudStack, OpenNebula, Eucalyptus, etc... work just as well.

DevStack on the other hand is a script that can create a simplified OpenStack environment based on the answers of a few questions. This environment can be run on a single machine as Xhypno402 pointed out, but it is designed to be used to development purposes only. DevStack skips a lot of the security and hardening feature configuration. It also builds the most simple infrastructure possible, which may not be what you need.

Try managing more then 10 to 15 hypervisor a with opennebula or eucalyptus. 

Cloudstack has its pluses but for stability, ease of maintenance, and administration it is a far cry from OpenStack which is why when it comes to non-vsphere private cloud setups OpenStack is dominating the market. 

I have managed quite a few setups of all mentioned and by far I prefer OpenStack. It powers a 60k hypervisor public cloud at Rackspace for these exact reason. 

59 minutes ago, Xhypno402 said:

Try managing more then 10 to 15 hypervisor a with opennebula or eucalyptus. 

Cloudstack has its pluses but for stability, ease of maintenance, and administration it is a far cry from OpenStack which is why when it comes to non-vsphere private cloud setups OpenStack is dominating the market. 

I have managed quite a few setups of all mentioned and by far I prefer OpenStack. It powers a 60k hypervisor public cloud at Rackspace for these exact reason. 

I'm with you, we manage roughly 30 hypervisors with OpenNebula. For us, OpenStack doesn't make a lot of sense. But i can certainly see it's merits in larger deployments.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2016 at 1:51 PM, F4S4K4N said:

I'm with you, we manage roughly 30 hypervisors with OpenNebula. For us, OpenStack doesn't make a lot of sense. But i can certainly see it's merits in larger deployments.

I've used OpenNebula . It's a headache but once it's done setting up. It's a beauty . 

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    i7-3960x
  • Motherboard
    generic x79
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case