9590 with a NH-C14 ?

MotokoHammond

Hello there my friend is putting together a Micro ATX build and is planning on buying a AMD FX8 9590, they are for some reasson deadset on aircoolers aparantly they "look cool" to him, while I agree I know the 9590 runs hot, he has 150mm of overhead clearance so he wanted me to ask, would the Noctua NH-C14 be sufficient enough to cool a 9590 ?

Why the 9590?! It's like $250... For $50 more, he could get an i7 4790... But if he really wants an FX 9590, he should go for water cooling...

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

Just now, Lolucoca said:

Why the 9590?! It's like $250... For $50 more, he yould get an i7 4790...

please this isnt a amd vs intel descussion, he said he wanted the 9590, Im just relaying the message here, no offence of course, I am currently saving up for my Intel i7-5820k so I am not biast here in any way.

@MotokoHammond That's why I edited my post 3 minutes ago :D But I really wouldn't air cool an FX 9590 since this chip draws 225W without being overclocked :D

Just now, Lolucoca said:

@MotokoHammond That's why I edited my post 3 minutes ago :D But I really wouldn't air cool an FX 9590 since this chip draws 225W without being overclocked :D

Yeah I was going through this with him, but what can I say he really likes air coolers lol, plus he is a big Noctua fanboy lol, anyway I suppose the point in this is more "is it feasible" rather then "is it recomended", as for the wattage Im sure he isnt much worrying about that with a 1000w Superflower psu, its probably overkill for a Micro ATX build but meh whatever makes him happy I suppose, I just noticed you edited your post now sorry lol

Just now, BobbyG2 said:

Are there even any matx boards that can handle the power draw of a 9590?

I dunno what board he is using yet, notsure he has decided himself yet

1 minute ago, MotokoHammond said:

I dunno what board he is using yet, notsure he has decided himself yet

I really don't think any AM3+ mATX board can properly support an FX 9590.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

@MotokoHammond It means that the NH-C14 can handle 140W and a small overclock on an AM3+ socket. It's definetely going to overheat.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I really don't think any AM3+ mATX board can properly support an FX 9590.

Just now, Lolucoca said:

@MotokoHammond It means that the NH-C14 can handle 140W and a small overclock on an AM3+ socket. It's definetely going to overheat.

Looks like I am going to have to convince him to ether spend more money on an i5 or less money on an 8350 I suppose

@MotokoHammond An i5-4690k costs $10 less than the FX 9590, but the FX 8320 is also a good budget CPU... But for gaming, I would get the i5. 

Just now, Lolucoca said:

@MotokoHammond An i5-4690k costs $10 less than the FX 9590, but the FX 8320 is also a good budget CPU... But for gaming, I would get the i5. 

well I will have a word with him see what he thinks, but at the end of the day its not upto me, thanks for the suggestion though

1 minute ago, MotokoHammond said:

well I will have a word with him see what he thinks, but at the end of the day its not upto me, thanks for the suggestion though

Whatever he decides, please make sure he does not power a 9590 on any old board. The 9590 has higher power requirements and will cause issues if the VRM is insufficient.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Whatever he decides, please make sure he does not power a 9590 on any old board. The 9590 has higher power requirements and will cause issues if the VRM is insufficient.

duely noted thanks :)

tek syndicate has done it. probably will be fine. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Ok my friend got back to me, he asks if the Asus TUF Z97 would work with the i7 4790k Devils Canyon?

2 minutes ago, MotokoHammond said:

Ok my friend got back to me, he asks if the Asus TUF Z97 would work with the i7 4790k Devils Canyon?

Yes it will work. Skylake (i7 6700K/ Z170) is the latest Intel mainstream platform though, but Z97 is still fine if He doesn't mind last gen.

1 hour ago, MotokoHammond said:

Yup. 

4 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

tek syndicate has done it. probably will be fine. 

Tek Syndicate does a lot of stupid shit. 

I love them though. But they do.

5 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Tek Syndicate does a lot of stupid shit. 

I love them though. But they do.

I mean if pistol was able to use a 14 on hers I imagine you would be able to use it on yours, either way it's performs almost as well as the 15 or a thin 240 aio

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

11 hours ago, MotokoHammond said:

Looks like I am going to have to convince him to ether spend more money on an i5 or less money on an 8350 I suppose

considering the cost of a 9590 (250$) + 220W capable board (130$ minimum ) + cooler (100 $ ) = 480$,it's actually cheaper to go

i7 4790k ( 320$) + gigabyte z97 mATX board ( 86$ ) + cooler (30$ )= ~440$

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case