Water cooling for my CPU

Go to solution Solved by Trav_X,
4 hours ago, Kirya said:

Okey, thx

i'll wait some more response but it was my first thought too. Do you have any recommendation ? Because I choose the thermalright after reading 2 or 3 websites but idk !

For air coolers I would suggest at least LOOKING at the following

- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

- be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

- Noctua NH-D15

- Cooler Master Master Air Maker 8

- Cryorig R1 Ultimate

- Cryorig R1 Universal

Those are kinda my favorites, but it really is your choice. Hyper 212 is the best value BY FAR, super cheap and world-renowned as being one of the best air coolers ever. Absolutely great :) 

Hi guys,

i'm using quite a lot both of my screen while i'm playing,

GPU never goes more than 45°C but my CPU just has his basic air cooling that was with my motherboard when i bought everything, its going around 65-70°C.

I have some money to upgrade my CPU cooling so :

- i was first thinking about this air cooling : http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/macho120_reva.html

- Then i realize i should probably go water ? But i'm not sure if it's actually the case. Something simple like this http://www.corsair.com/fr-fr/hydro-series-h60-cpu-cooler

Config : i5 4690k / motherboard is : Z87-pro C2

I'm using a Corsair 300R as my little box, 2 fans on the side, 2 on the top, 1 in the front. The only noise coming from my computer is the CPU fan going "crazy" compare to the rest.

What do you think about this ?

I'll keep reading around meanwhile,

thanks for your time !

Kirya

Get the all in one water cooler. You'll get good idle temps with even some overclocking headroom. Also, if you were gonna get air cooling, I wouldn't suggest Thermalright, but Noctua, Coolermaster, and be quiet! have good budget air cooling options.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

Either AIO or Air cooling would be fine. IMO single rad AIO are kinda meh compared to an Air cooler, as it usually takes a 240mm rad AIO to seriously compete. Though this is not a high heat output CPU so ... Up to you on what your most comfy doing

Just now, Shimejii said:

Either AIO or Air cooling would be fine. IMO single rad AIO are kinda meh compared to an Air cooler, as it usually takes a 240mm rad AIO to seriously compete. Though this is not a high heat output CPU so ... Up to you on what your most comfy doing

Hello, thank you for your time,

i'm use to change thing and open everything, i use to have a water cooling but it fucked up. So what would recommend the best ? Either air cooling or double water cooling block ?

Okey, thx

i'll wait some more response but it was my first thought too. Do you have any recommendation ? Because I choose the thermalright after reading 2 or 3 websites but idk !

4 hours ago, Kirya said:

Okey, thx

For air coolers I would suggest at least LOOKING at the following

- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

- be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

- Noctua NH-D15

- Cooler Master Master Air Maker 8

- Cryorig R1 Ultimate

- Cryorig R1 Universal

Those are kinda my favorites, but it really is your choice. Hyper 212 is the best value BY FAR, super cheap and world-renowned as being one of the best air coolers ever. Absolutely great :) 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

I might be wrong here but as far as i understood, there is no reason(other than possible lifespan, or noise) to get a better cooler for a cpu aslong as it isnt throttling its speeds due to heat (pretty sure it wont trottle until 85c+?)

aka if you think you might be having low framerate due to a bad cpu compared to gpu, it might be better to save up for a cpu upgrade instead of spending money on a cooler that might* not do anything at all.

13 hours ago, MoDRun said:

I might be wrong here but as far as i understood, there is no reason(other than possible lifespan, or noise) to get a better cooler for a cpu aslong as it isnt throttling its speeds due to heat (pretty sure it wont trottle until 85c+?)

aka if you think you might be having low framerate due to a bad cpu compared to gpu, it might be better to save up for a cpu upgrade instead of spending money on a cooler that might* not do anything at all.

Yeap i'm going for less noise because if i don't have my headset on, the CPU fan is quite lood ! Basically it's going up to 70°C when i'm playing + looking at a stream at the same time and i do that quite a lot ! (and I do have some trottle : not staying at 144 fps while doing that)

Also i think it's a good investment because i could re-use the cooling system into my next setup, putting back the old one to keep this computer alive.

Thank you for your time !

Also thank you Trav for your recommendation, I will be looking into this list.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO indeed looks just good for what i'm doing, and it's definitely in my price range.

I'll still wait until the end of the week if anyone has any advice :)

24 minutes ago, Kirya said:

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO indeed looks just good for what i'm doing, and it's definitely in my price range.

I'll still wait until the end of the week if anyone has any advice :)

That's a good choice, one of the best coolers in that price range, and even competes with high tier options that are like triple the price

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

On 08/03/2016 at 6:49 PM, Trav_X said:

That's a good choice, one of the best coolers in that price range, and even competes with high tier options that are like triple the price

First try, just install it ! I went from 70°C to somewhere around 45°C with much less noise :)

Great choice and easy to install ! Would recommend myself now.