DSLR Help

Hey guys, so im looking for a DSLR.

It must have very good low light performance,

I have looked at the Nikon 5200, is that any good?  My budget is around £300-£350 (463.72USD)

Also what tripods would you recommend for long exposure?

I want it to able to take long exposure shots like this:

You.jpg

You won't get very good low light performance for that price, but at the range the D5200 will do you fine.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

You won't get very good low light performance for that price, but at the range the D5200 will do you fine.

What kind of limitations will cameras this price have?

What would be the speetspot for cameras with good low light performance in your opinion?

There aren't any cameras with good low light performance besides the Sony A7s or A7s II. Cameras need light to function, it's just the nature of the beast. I could suggest getting the best camera you can for the money and use Neat Video (or something like that) to clean it up afterwards.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700X Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 RAM: Crucial 32GB 12400Mhz GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

SSD: PNY 240GB HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ Case: NZXT S340 Display: Dell P2416D

Camera: Samsung NX1 Audio: Tascam DR-40 Mic: Rode NTG2

Interface: Focusrite 18i20 Monitors: Event 20/20's Mic: Blue Bluebird DAW: Steinberg's Cubase 7.5, Adobe Audition CC

Guitar: MIM Fender Stratocaster Amp: Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Pedals: Dunlop High Gain Volume, Big Muff Germanium Pi, Boss DD-3 Delay, Roland Tuner

You can achieve the same sort of image with any DSLR.  I've done similar stuff with the Nikon D90, which had worse ISO ratings than the D5200.

And there is NO special tripod used for creating such photos.  Any decent tripod will do just fine.

Learn to become a better photographer and you will be able to create such an image.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 hour ago, Pearsonia said:

What kind of limitations will cameras this price have?

What would be the speetspot for cameras with good low light performance in your opinion?

Sweet spot for cameras with good low light performance? $2,000+ to get a full-frame or larger camera like the Sony A7s.

This camera, since it's an older entry-level camera, will do you fine for now (if you're just getting started and I'm assuming you are), but it does have a number of features that you may want in the future (good video AF, aperture preview, discrete AF/MF switch to name a few).  

Honestly though, you can learn to live with pretty much any camera. I personally have a Sony a6000, a Nikon D5100, and a film Olympus OM-1n, and I honestly say I prefer the OM-1n.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

1 hour ago, sushisharkjl said:

Sweet spot for cameras with good low light performance? $2,000+ to get a full-frame or larger camera like the Sony A7s.

Thanks for the help guys!

I think I was concentrating too hard on the camera model and not considering photographer skill.

Either way this information is really helpful.

You can still do long exposure and low light shots even with an entry level cameras. I do long exposure landscape shots and light trails on my D3200. A good steady tripod and a fast lens will help a lot. Get a decent tripod, not like the cheap ones they usually bundle with cameras. 

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

Generic cheap tripods are a No No in my book:

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer