My GPU isn't cooled properly? Defective pump?

Hello LTT Forum!

Yesterday i finally got my GPU cooler home. An EK-VGA Supremacy (Copper Acetal), for my MSI GTC960 2GB.

I wanted to install it into my existing loop. In 2013 i bought a complete XSPC kit, 240mm.
It includes pump build into the resovoir, a radiator, a cpu block and tubing. However this setup is changed a little.

My setup is as follows:

Asrock Z97-M Anniversary

Intel i5 4460

12GB Kingston DDR3 memory

MSI GTX960 2GB Edition

CPU Block: XSPC RayStorm

Resovoir: XSPC X2O 750 DUAL BAY RESERVOIR PUMP V4

Radiator: XSPC EX240 240mm

GPU Block: EK VGA Supremacy (Cobber Acetal)

Tubing: Primochill Primoflex Advanced LRT

- I hope thats all info needed,

Now, the problem is, that the GPU is not cooled properly. It reaches sky-high degress in a matter of seconds if in use.
The block is seated correctly, and the therman compund is also applied correctly (rice corn) - I have also tried re-applying this.

The odd thing is, the CPU is cooled correctly, and is running at a smooth 34C in idle.

Some odd thing i noticed was, when i first made the loop, it looked like the pump wasnt powerful enough. It wound not push bubbles through the blocks.

The thing i did, was to remake the loop. Flush everything with demineralized water, changing how the loop is connected (From: Pump -> Rad -> GPU -> CPU To: Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> GPU).

So now the situation is, that the water is pushed through - It looks like at "good speeds" since bubbles fly quickly through the tubing. However, the GPU is still hitting 80+ temperatures in a matter of seconds if you just move a window around. However, if you stop moving anything around, and the GPU goes idle - The temperatures drops fairly quickly down to about 45C.

I am hoping some of you have any ideas what might be causing this issue - And maybe even a possible fix.

Pictures show the water direction.

939373_10209305175335825_513283174_o.jpg

12810073_10209305174975816_2095355971_o.jpg

-----------

You sir, have no pancake mix!

There is so many price matching issues with your build i don't even.

Just now, Xenift said:

There is so many price matching issues with your build i don't even.

Might be, this system is build over several years, and not bought and build on the same day.

The watercooling is from 2013, mobo/cpu is from 2015, GFX is from 2016 - And i just got some money on hand, and thought i would watercool the GPU.

Since its a universal GPU block, i can use it on future graphic-cards aswell, if i am upgrading in the future.

-----------

Universal? Then that is okay i guess.

But money should be really spent on something more deserving, like a unlocked CPU.

Even if this is build over the years, there is little to no planning to it for example having a 2GB card instead of a regular 4GB card.

It's my opinion i guess so do what flows your way best.

1 minute ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Did you watercool a 960?

Yes i did.

You might not think thats a great idea, since its a very inexpensive card - And it would have made more sense to just buy a better graphics card.

But the GPU and the waterblock is bought at seperate times.

Actually i watercooled it most for the looks, as i like the look of watercooled systems.

-----------

Just now, DannyRyu said:

240 rad for a GPU and CPU is whats wrong.

I would have thought that would be enough. But that still doesnt explain my issue.

-----------

14 minutes ago, dFine said:

(From: Pump -> Rad -> GPU -> CPU To: Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> GPU).

Do you want to try to cool the GPU first?

Just now, R4z0r244 said:

Do you want to try to cool the GPU first?

Tried that, same result :/

-----------

Just now, R4z0r244 said:

Is the vram also covered by the block?

on the MSI card, there is already heatsinks installed on the card underneath the stockcooler

-----------

1 hour ago, DannyRyu said:

240 rad for a GPU and CPU is whats wrong.

For a non_K SKU and a GTX 960, 240mm rad is enough.

1 hour ago, dFine said:

Tried that, same result :/

Since you're sure water is flowing in the loop. And the CPU is cooling properly. The only explanation would be a bad contact of the GPU block and the GPU die, for some reason. That's the area to investigate.

2 hours ago, dFine said:

Hello LTT Forum!

Yesterday i finally got my GPU cooler home. An EK-VGA Supremacy (Copper Acetal), for my MSI GTC960 2GB.

I wanted to install it into my existing loop. In 2013 i bought a complete XSPC kit, 240mm.
It includes pump build into the resovoir, a radiator, a cpu block and tubing. However this setup is changed a little.

My setup is as follows:

Asrock Z97-M Anniversary

Intel i5 4460

12GB Kingston DDR3 memory

MSI GTX960 2GB Edition

CPU Block: XSPC RayStorm

Resovoir: XSPC X2O 750 DUAL BAY RESERVOIR PUMP V4

Radiator: XSPC EX240 240mm

GPU Block: EK VGA Supremacy (Cobber Acetal)

Tubing: Primochill Primoflex Advanced LRT

- I hope thats all info needed,

Now, the problem is, that the GPU is not cooled properly. It reaches sky-high degress in a matter of seconds if in use.
The block is seated correctly, and the therman compund is also applied correctly (rice corn) - I have also tried re-applying this.

The odd thing is, the CPU is cooled correctly, and is running at a smooth 34C in idle.

Some odd thing i noticed was, when i first made the loop, it looked like the pump wasnt powerful enough. It wound not push bubbles through the blocks.

The thing i did, was to remake the loop. Flush everything with demineralized water, changing how the loop is connected (From: Pump -> Rad -> GPU -> CPU To: Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> GPU).

So now the situation is, that the water is pushed through - It looks like at "good speeds" since bubbles fly quickly through the tubing. However, the GPU is still hitting 80+ temperatures in a matter of seconds if you just move a window around. However, if you stop moving anything around, and the GPU goes idle - The temperatures drops fairly quickly down to about 45C.

I am hoping some of you have any ideas what might be causing this issue - And maybe even a possible fix.

Pictures show the water direction.

939373_10209305175335825_513283174_o.jpg

12810073_10209305174975816_2095355971_o.jpg

Which standoffs did you use when you mounted the EK VGA Supremancy?  The one for the bare die or the one for the integrated heat spreader?

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury