Case fans for media cabinet

JSind11
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
1 minute ago, Jim-B said:

Oh yeah sorry, I didn't even see the original link. 

That looks like it would work fine, have struggled to find one with a UK plug on it though.

Looks like it could be made from an old laptop Charger? or would that be a bit too much juice?

You would want to look for a 12V one or one that is say 7V if you want to have the fans run at a lower speed, that unit should be capable of 5V, 7V and 12V to give you some options.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phobya-Power-Adapter-Molex-Socket/dp/B003TRT7FA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1458229116&sr=8-3

Have my PC, XBONE and cable box under the TV in a solid wooden cabinet, which I mostly need to keep closed, to keep my 2 year olds fingers  away from my stuff. 

So obviously if the doors are closed and any of the units are on for a while the cabinet heats up more than I would like, hence the reason for the fans.

just wondering what size you guys think would be the best? And how I should power them.

I was thinking I could power them from the PC, but that would mean it needs to be on if I'm using the Xbox, also I would like to have a switch on it somehow so I can turn them on/off etc.

feel free to post pictures of what you guys have tried yourselves.

cheers. 

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

10 minutes ago, Jim-B said:

-SNIP-

Linus did something very similar to this but you can simply get a molex power adapter and some good pressure oriented 120mm fans to give it some airflow.

http://www.amazon.com/100-240v-Molex-Power-Adapter-splitter/dp/B00QUCIQSK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457215960&sr=8-2

if you are going to do it like linus id suggest large fans 200mm (bigger less noise more air movement) and just cut a hole in the back/side/bottom (i prefer less) and have it set to exhaust just to get the hot air out of the cabinet. You could power it of just a simple 12v wall adapter and install a switch on the wire.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

• 2 weeks later...

Would I really need to use fans, or do you think it would be ok if I just made some 120mm holes in the back, 

I say this because I have 4 really nice fan shroud's that do not fit with my case but that would look perfect as "vents" on the cabinet. 

can people post some pictures of the solutions they have tried?

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

On 05/03/2016 at 10:13 PM, W-L said:

Linus did something very similar to this but you can simply get a molex power adapter and some good pressure oriented 120mm fans to give it some airflow.

http://www.amazon.com/100-240v-Molex-Power-Adapter-splitter/dp/B00QUCIQSK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457215960&sr=8-2

When you say "molex power adapter" what do you mean? could you give me a link/picture ?

i think you would still need some airflow to help getting the hot air out of the cabinet... but if you have a exhaust fan near the new holes then that might be enough 

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

36 minutes ago, Jim-B said:

When you say "molex power adapter" what do you mean? could you give me a link/picture ?

What one linked would be the adapter as it is just a power brick with a molex connection allowing you to hookup fans, when not needed they can be plugged or switched off.

29 minutes ago, W-L said:

What one linked would be the adapter as it is just a power brick with a molex connection allowing you to hookup fans, when not needed they can be plugged or switched off.

That looks like it would work fine, have struggled to find one with a UK plug on it though.

Looks like it could be made from an old laptop Charger? or would that be a bit too much juice?

1 minute ago, Jim-B said:

You would want to look for a 12V one or one that is say 7V if you want to have the fans run at a lower speed, that unit should be capable of 5V, 7V and 12V to give you some options.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phobya-Power-Adapter-Molex-Socket/dp/B003TRT7FA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1458229116&sr=8-3

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Ok cool thanks!

This is massively helpful.