Any good pci I/E Wifi cards?

Flying_Belgian

Heyo,

So i recvently build myself a PC btu I'm only able to get ethernet through a thing that you need to plug into the wall and well its way too slow for what I should be getting for my speeds.

Are there any good Wifi PCI/E cards that you could recommend? Btw looks do matter a bit because my pc is black and blue so i dont want a flashy red card :) 

My internet speed is around 200 mbps and 11 up (not the ebst but good internet for Belgium) and im about 5 to 8 meters away from my modem/router.

P.S. Price range is up to 60 euros 

Thnx for the help

4 minutes ago, Flying_Belgian said:

Heyo,

So i recvently build myself a PC btu I'm only able to get ethernet through a thing that you need to plug into the wall and well its way too slow for what I should be getting for my speeds.

Are there any good Wifi PCI/E cards that you could recommend? Btw looks do matter a bit because my pc is black and blue so i dont want a flashy red card :) 

My internet speed is around 200 mbps and 11 up (not the ebst but good internet for Belgium) and im about 5 to 8 meters away from my modem/router.

P.S. Price range is up to 60 euros 

Thnx for the help

What AP/Router do you have?

Telenet? Probably. I'm sorry, but normally power lines should be better than wifi. Because the wifi in the Telenet Modem/Router/AP/Switch is 802.11g (iirc).

What speeds are you getting trough the powerline atm? @Flying_Belgian

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

24 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

Telenet? Probably. I'm sorry, but normally power lines should be better than wifi. Because the wifi in the Telenet Modem/Router/AP/Switch is 802.11g (iirc).

What speeds are you getting trough the powerline atm? @Flying_Belgian

Yeah im using Telenet and I should be getting 200 down and 11up but with the poerline thingie im getting 18 down and 11 up. so yeah ...5236b1c37c.png

27 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

What AP/Router do you have?

Im using a Telenet router that uses  802.11g (iirc) (according to Mr Kickkiller).

11 minutes ago, Flying_Belgian said:

Im using a Telenet router that uses  802.11g (iirc) (according to Mr Kickkiller).

Well if your AP is using 802.11g you aren't going to get your full speeds. It caps out at 54Mbps. Try to find out for yourself though, just to make sure. They may not use an absolute identical unit at every home. See if you can find a model number on it.

39 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

Telenet? Probably. I'm sorry, but normally power lines should be better than wifi.

Fully 100% depends on the wiring of the house. With massive variation. Powerline is horseshit in my house.

20 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Well if your AP is using 802.11g you aren't going to get your full speeds. It caps out at 54Mbps. Try to find out for yourself though, just to make sure. They may not use an absolute identical unit at every home. See if you can find a model number on it.

Fully 100% depends on the wiring of the house. With massive variation. Powerline is horseshit in my house.

Well I have reached speeds over 150 mbps over wifi btu hardline sucks pretty hard. as for my router im not really sure where to find out what is it using. should i be able to find it on my router/modem itself or should i try looking into the software side of router/modem. (Sry fi this is all newbish but it isnt ereally a thing I know a lot of :/)

Edit: i have reached speeds between 100 and 150 ... not over 150. Sry :/

2 hours ago, Flying_Belgian said:

I am not 100% sure about the router, seeing as it is ,as far as I know, listed nowhere. But I had to assume either 802.11g or 802.11n as there's no way in hell ISP's are gonna deliver high speed (802.11ac) acces points with the prices they're charging.

802.11g can deliver up to 54 Mbit/s on wifi.

802.11n is capable of delivering up to 150 Mbit/s

Note that the 150Mbit/s probably only is on performance models, which we have to assume that the Telenet router is not a part of. (Reason above)

(Information from Wiki page: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11)

Also iirc is a common shortening for "if I recall correctly".

Back to the main problem.

If you're lucky and have a decently recent installation (meaning your acces point in the router supports 802.11n), you should be able to plug in any wifi adapter (pcie / usb) capable of 802.11n. Note that this will not be at the full 150mbps that 802.11n can carry. (Wifi being wifi :P ) Estimated speeds: 100-120 mbps. It also means that you're never gonna get the full 200 mbps you're paying for.

If you're unlucky and the things is already old, meaning it only supports 802.11g. You'll only be getting speeds in the neighborhood of 30-40 mbps (Wifi being wifi: again). Wifi adapters capable of 802.11g will be harder to find because it's older technology, but lucky for us the consumer. All 802.11X standards are backwards compatible! Again, a 802.11n capable adapter should work. But remember that you'll be wasting your 200mbps down connection, seeing as you can't get more than 40-ish mbps on your desktop. And I can't think that anyone would be having 5-6 seperate wifi devices hitting the connection all the time.

To be honest, I would be looking into running a simple ethernet cable between your pc and router, if you're being serious about getting true speed for your money. No wifi disconnect, stable speeds, fully saturating your connection (to the internet), etc. Sadly though many people rent, and therefor can't drill trough 1 or 2 walls to run cables :/

Also, before you jump on wifi as your solution, check if the area you live in isn't already completely saturated with 2.4 Ghz networks. If this is the case, WiFi really isn't a solution. You would be getting slow speeds, dead spots etc. Following video should explain you how to determine whether or not it's really a proper solution to go WiFi

It's up to you what solution to go for. If you need more info, plz message me. I may only be a 19-year old, but i'm a true computer geek and expert in Google/Tech -fu

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

1 minute ago, MrKickkiller said:

It's up to you what solution to go for. If you need more info, plz message me. I may only be a 19-year old, but i'm a true computer geek and expert in Google/Tech -fu

Hmmm thats a lot of information .. ill try finding what kind of router i have. Oh and btw i would want to get myself a direct ethernet cable but the problem is that my pc is like a floor above th e main router and 2 flours above the main router and this houce isnt wired with ethernet (it is bought tho).

I was also thinking of keeping the hardwire that i have right now (gives me around 20 mbps) + using wifi. Would that be a good idea?

2 hours ago, Flying_Belgian said:

Well I have reached speeds over 150 mbps over wifi 

No you haven't. And if you have then it isn't 802.11g. It's probably 802.11n.

I would say just go for a WDN4800. It's solid. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDN4800-Wireless-Express-Low-profile/dp/B007GMPZ0A I've been using it for about 4 or 5 years now.

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

No you haven't. And if you have then it isn't 802.11g. It's probably 802.11n.

Well, I assumed from the start that the router is 802.11g. I don't know OP's situation, but had to assume older installation. Installations < 4 years or so are probably 802.11n compatible.

Just now, MrKickkiller said:

Well, I assumed from the start that the router is 802.11g. I don't know OP's situation, but had to assume older installation. Installations < 4 years or so are probably 802.11n compatible.

Fair enough. 

Yeah @Flying_Belgian it's very likely 802.11n. Grab an app called WiFi analyzer on a phone or laptop to find out for sure, but I would grab the WDN4800.

16 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Fair enough. 

Yeah @Flying_Belgian it's very likely 802.11n. Grab an app called WiFi analyzer on a phone or laptop to find out for sure, but I would grab the WDN4800.

I just plugged in an old 5 Euro wifi usb thingie that works like shit but it allowed me to see wich protocol i have and i do have 802.11n 

cf20da3825.png

Also thanks for the reccomendation. I'll proably pick the WDN4800 up since i dont really know any other good ones for my system/requirements and it will probably do the job excellent.

Thanks again.