The wait for Pascal

wonderouspizza

Should i wait for Pascal?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should i wait for Pascal?

• Wait for Pascal
    • Get Something else now
    • Polaris

I've been building part by part a gaming computer since last year in August. If you want to take a look at the build this is it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qYTZkL but thats not what this is about. Ever since i started building i've heard from all the computer youtubers that if you are going to buy a GPU you need to buy the newest one available you can afford. But again the pascal architecture is suppose to come this year so this is the dilemma. Should i wait for Pascal or should i get something now? 

wait until polaris unless you can't wait 4 months. Pascal is likely coming much later than polaris.
If you don't want polaris, then I would say grab a graphics card now

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 minute ago, rattacko123 said:

wait until polaris unless you can't wait 4 months. Pascal is likely coming much later than polaris.
If you don't want polaris, then I would say grab a graphics card now

I actually haven't looked at the Polaris at all. All of my friends are Team Green so i just have never been introduced to Team Red. do you run AMD? i would like to know how it runs and if i should really consider AMD. i think one of my friends scared me about AMD back in august because he said they get really hot to where they can kill themselves.

4 minutes ago, wonderouspizza said:

they get really hot to where they can kill themselves.

Any proof ? My 390 never went above 70c.

Also IIRC, some AMD cards are rated up to 90-95c.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

1 minute ago, wonderouspizza said:

I actually haven't looked at the Polaris at all. All of my friends are Team Green so i just have never been introduced to Team Red. do you run AMD? i would like to know how it runs and if i should really consider AMD. i think one of my friends scared me about AMD back in august because he said they get really hot to where they can kill themselves.

You should do better research next time. The only reason AMD GPU's (this only applies to the 290 and 290X btw) is that the reference coolers that came with them were really bad, and even then they wouldn't really kill themselves. Now if you get the same AMD GPU from a partner like Sapphire or MSI, the temperatures are actually not that bad. AMD GPUs have been proven to have better longevity than Nvidia GPUs.

He never showed proof, it was just word of mouth but being new into building a pc i just went with it. I guess i'll do more research on my own into AMD. I know AMD graphics cards are not as expensive as Nvidia's so it would be a boon to get the power without the bite to my tax return.

Just now, Ddave said:

Any proof ? My 390 never went above 70c.

1 minute ago, jbslayer said:

You should do better research next time. The only reason AMD GPU's (this only applies to the 290 and 290X btw) is that the reference coolers that came with them were really bad, and even then they wouldn't really kill themselves. Now if you get the same AMD GPU from a partner like Sapphire or MSI, the temperatures are actually not that bad. AMD GPUs have been proven to have better longevity than Nvidia GPUs.

Looking into AMD honestly i like the small size factor for my Micro ATX build. I just took a look at the Sapphire Radeon R9 FURY X and that is so easy to place in my case. I wonder if i can later get it linked with my predator 240 radiator.

i have not bought anything with a reference cooler in my life lol

always waited till they came out with better cooling

34 minutes ago, wonderouspizza said:

I've been building part by part a gaming computer since last year in August. If you want to take a look at the build this is it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qYTZkL but thats not what this is about. Ever since i started building i've heard from all the computer youtubers that if you are going to buy a GPU you need to buy the newest one available you can afford. But again the pascal architecture is suppose to come this year so this is the dilemma. Should i wait for Pascal or should i get something now? 

Well, 1st don't buy that thermal compound. Get this instead.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-thermal-paste-acmx4

2nd, while the 980 ti is the best dx11 card, it's not doing so hot in dx 12 and dx 12 is coming faster than most people predicted. I would be patient get something cheap like a gtx 950 and wait to see who has the better top end card in the next few months and get that.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 minutes ago, kronickiller said:

i have not bought anything with a reference cooler in my life lol

always waited till they came out with better cooling

I heard the reference cooler on the Nvidia side has been used for a long time now. Nobody told me exactly how long though  

if u want something cheap and good

pick up a used 290x theres always some idiot looking to sell for a minor upgrade

odds are u can get your money back or even make money on it if u find one cheap enough to pass u over till pascal comes out

the 290x series / 390 blah blah should be rated to 95c b4 they throttle

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Well, 1st don't buy that thermal compound. Get this instead.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-thermal-paste-acmx4

2nd, while the 980 ti is the best dx11 card, it's not doing so hot in dx 12 and dx 12 is coming faster than most people predicted. I would be patient get something cheap like a gtx 950 and wait to see who has the better top end card in the next few months and get that.

wow a 950 is cheap as hell to buy!! but what will i do with it after i get the new gpu :/

1 minute ago, wonderouspizza said:

wow a 950 is cheap as hell to buy!! but what will i do with it after i get the new gpu :/

Sell it or keep it as a back up card.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

4 minutes ago, kronickiller said:

if u want something cheap and good

pick up a used 290x theres always some idiot looking to sell for a minor upgrade

odds are u can get your money back or even make money on it if u find one cheap enough to pass u over till pascal comes out

the 290x series / 390 blah blah should be rated to 95c b4 they throttle

hmmm they are pretty high up there in price on ebay but maybe i should hit craigslist up 

I could always keep it around to throw into another build i make for someone else down the road now that i think about it.

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Sell it or keep it as a back up card.

I heard that a lot of ppl had bad experience with EVGA's mobo.

You sure you wanna stick to EVGA???

I personally never owned a EVGA motherboard.

But I heard a lot of ppl complained that QC they did was really poor.

I suggest you ask someone who's more superior with motherboard's stuff, and then decide. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

yeah i put some research into it myself on EVGA's motherboard and i heard about the problems but they same pages said they were reminded with the Micro 2 version i got. sadly i haven't been able to boot it up by myself since it doesn't have any HDMI or display outs but i did use a friends old GPU to get it to post which it did so i'm good there and all my parts came up as well

6 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I heard that a lot of ppl had bad experience with EVGA's mobo.

You sure you wanna stick to EVGA???

I personally never owned a EVGA motherboard.

But I heard a lot of ppl complained that QC they did was really poor.

I suggest you ask someone who's more superior with motherboard's stuff, and then decide. 

ya i imagine everyone is hitting up those cheap  used 290x's on ebay

18 minutes ago, wonderouspizza said:

hmmm they are pretty high up there in price on ebay but maybe i should hit craigslist up 

ya i imagine everyone and their dog are scooping them up lol

i picked mine up brand new for like 375cad lol everytime a newer better card comes out people seem to want to trade up lol

seen someone selling one for like 200cad wish i picked it up for a crossfire

Oh...okay.

Then that's no problem already.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 hours ago, wonderouspizza said:

I used to run an AMD iMac. The only problem I had was that sometimes the driver installation caused a black screen, but I think that was fixed in later drivers. My current computer runs an Nvidia GPU, and my only problem is the lack of opencl support. Ive had a good experience with both companies, and they've both had their fair share of bad drivers. AMD cards don't run much hotter than Nvidia from what I've heard (only something like 25-50w extra heat), it's just that AMD reference coolers suck.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.