Would like help upgrading old PC

Go to solution Solved by jnvqc,

With that budget buy a new one, there's almost nothing worth upgrading. Maybe sell it for parts keep the hard drive. You can make a file server or some other interesting project.

I've owned an emachines el1850-01e desktop for a few years (It was a birthday present). 

During highschool I began working with Photoshop and playing a few simple PC games, and it became evident that my desktop was not good enough to catch up. 

I soon got a laptop that ran much faster, but now that's beginning to fill up with a large number of programs that I use for art (Photoshop, After Effects, Blender, and other tools). 

I would like to bring my desktop back to life to make it my main work/gaming computer, but I know almost nothing about computers.

I just need assistance picking out parts that I could replace in the PC. I want to use the upgraded PC for Painting, video editing, and games (don't need super high quality graphics, just stable and reliable).

Budget: ≈<$700

You current PC sounds well dated, and you'll likely want to build a new one from scratch. Upgrading that PC isn't going to bring you to modern standards.

You current power supply might also not have support for certain modern connection standards, and may need replacing. If you can take a photo of it, we can verify what its usefulness is.

You're likely looking at getting a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and case. Depending on what graphics card you have in there, you might be able to continue using it, though it will be a major bottleneck on your PCs gaming capabilities - but if you keep using it, you can upgrade the rest of your PC right away, while you save up some money for a decent graphics card.

Is your budget USD or CND? You should be able to build a pretty decent computer base for your budget, if it's USD.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

With that budget buy a new one, there's almost nothing worth upgrading. Maybe sell it for parts keep the hard drive. You can make a file server or some other interesting project.

with you current budget

you will be better off with a brand new PC

even thou the old PC is LGA775 and based on the G41 chipset

upgrading to Q6600 may be possible but program you use will still be limited to the old hardeware

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

47 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Is your budget USD or CND?

It is USD and I think I will just buy a newer desktop

50 minutes ago, jnvqc said:

You can make a file server or some other interesting project.

That's something I hadn't thought about thank you