Does IPS overclock well?

Hackentosher

So I've heard of a lot of people overclocking IPS panels to rather nice refresh rates, some even pushing like 120hz. Is this just a thing with nicer IPS panels?

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

So I've heard of a lot of people overclocking IPS panels to rather nice refresh rates, some even pushing like 120hz. Is this just a thing with nicer IPS panels?

No, some IPS panels don't fare well past 60Hz, same with some TN panels. There's no blanket statement that can be made about monitor overclocking. It's very specific to each monitor in question.

Just now, Glenwing said:

No, some IPS panels don't care well past 60Hz, same with some TN panels. There's no blanket statement that can be made about monitor overclocking. It's very specific to each monitor in question.

Alrighty, thanks.

ASU

Depends panel to panel and also what manufacture. Dell doesn't like it if you do more than 5Hz and their driver board wont let you go farther. While most LG monitors don't care and will let you push the panel to it's limits.

My LG 29UB55-B (29" 2560x1080) IPS panel can only do 75Hz stable. I've had an Asus with an IPS (IPS panels are LG, PLS are Samsung) do 95Hz.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Just now, AdamIsaacLang said:

Depends panel to panel and also what manufacture. Dell doesn't like it if you do more than 5Hz. While most LG monitors don't care and will let you push the panel to it's limits.

My LG 29UB55-B (29" 2560x1080) IPS panel can only do 75Hz stable. I've had an Asus with an IPS (IPS panels are LG, PLS are Samsung) do 95Hz.

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

a fellow 29ub55-b owner!

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Got an ASUS VX239H 1980x1080p IPS monitor overclocked to 74 Hz from 60 Hz.

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

20 minutes ago, IanDrexP said:

Got an ASUS VX239H 1980x1080p IPS monitor overclocked to 74 Hz from 60 Hz.

Nice, I'm looking at gettnig a PB258Q for that 1440 action.

ASU

I have the XB271HU which runs out of the box at 144hz with an "overclocking mode" that takes it to 165hz. This is enabled through the monitor and then set through the Nvidia control panel. Although I feel this might be kinda gimmicky (not the 165hz part that's great). But why not just ship it out of the box like that. That being said OCing a monitor can get you some free fps so why not.

20 hours ago, foamygopher said:

I have the XB271HU which runs out of the box at 144hz with an "overclocking mode" that takes it to 165hz. This is enabled through the monitor and then set through the Nvidia control panel. Although I feel this might be kinda gimmicky (not the 165hz part that's great). But why not just ship it out of the box like that. That being said OCing a monitor can get you some free fps so why not.

It's not going to ship out of the box at 165 because as we've discussed earlier it depends on the monitor, manufacturer, and whether or not the stars were aligned when the panel was fabricated.

ASU