SKYLAKE i7 vs i5?

IN SHORT, 

Once upon a time, this was an obvious answer for me. I always associated the i5 with gaming and the i7 with multimedia/office tasks. In any case, some games are finally utilizing more threads and I feel like the i7 is soon going to be experiencing way better performance. This might just be me, though. Basically, I'm trying to decide wether the i7 is worth the price difference and your opinions help. 

If you have the money, the i7 is better. Hyper threading is becoming a useful thing in certain tasks, not always necessarily in gaming. And with new GPU series coming out soon from both AMD and NVIDIA, as well as DX12, and Broadwell-E, more threads/cores/such are going to become super useful for many different things.

id just say get the i7, if you have the cash to do so. If not, the i5's are great too. I would definitely suggest getting the K series chips, overclocking is fun and useful.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

It really isn't and a 4 core i5 plays every game you will throw at skylake wise I i5 6500 if you aint overclocking i5 6600k if your overclocking but if your a editor or gamer (so i5 CPUs are better then older 4 core 8 thread i7 CPUs and (most of the time) wont bottle neck

any 980 Ti.

2 minutes ago, HooDiniX said:

It really isn't and a 4 core i5 plays every game you will throw at skylake wise I i5 6500 if you aint overclocking i5 6600k if your overclocking but if your a editor or gamer (so i5 CPUs are better then older 4 core 8 thread i7 CPUs and (most of the time) wont bottle neck

any 980 Ti.

lol, but an i7-2700k matches an i5-6500 in gaming performance and outperforms it in multi-threaded tasks. Also, take into account that I did say and it is obvious that new games are starting to be able to handle 8 threads. Not overclocking, so it's not too much more money at all.

Nice advice and all, but it's irrelevant and inaccurate. Thanks anyways, opinions still help. 

9 minutes ago, archelocke said:

lol, but an i7-2700k matches an i5-6500 in gaming performance and outperforms it in multi-threaded tasks. Also, take into account that I did say and it is obvious that new games are starting to be able to handle 8 threads. Not overclocking, so it's not too much more money at all.

Nice advice and all, but it's irrelevant and inaccurate. Thanks anyways, opinions still help. 

Hes looking for a good gaming skylake NOT a old BUT good CPU that he or she is gonna get off ebay for 200$ +games like gta v bf4 witcher 3 etc use 4 Cores easy

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Intel-Core-i7-2700K-3-5-GHz-upto-3-9-GHz-Quad-Core-Processor-Socket-LGA-1155-CPU-/231856974725?hash=item35fbc0ab85:g:In0AAOSwG-1Wz0Kj JUST Realized your the poster xD (I dumb)

PS if you have a 2700k then don't say these thingsv xD

Just now, HooDiniX said:

Hes looking for a good gaming skylake NOT a old BUT good CPU that he or she is gonna get off ebay for 200$ +games like gta v bf4 witcher 3 etc use 4 Cores easy

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Intel-Core-i7-2700K-3-5-GHz-upto-3-9-GHz-Quad-Core-Processor-Socket-LGA-1155-CPU-/231856974725?hash=item35fbc0ab85:g:In0AAOSwG-1Wz0Kj

"He" is me. I'M looking for a FUNCTIONAL SKYLAKE CPU. I was simply just pointing out how your arguments were irrelevant/inaccurate. In any case, plenty of games handle 4 cores just fine, but you fail to account for the games that do gain some sort of bonus from having more than 4 threads. Crysis 3, for example, and that game is over 3 years old now. New games are being added to the list of "ok, 4 threads is good, but 8 threads is better", and I think the i7 might be more futureproof. 

I don't really look into things enough to know how long until more than 4 threads will be a standard. That's one of the reasons I'm asking. 

Just now, archelocke said:

"He" is me. I'M looking for a FUNCTIONAL SKYLAKE CPU. I was simply just pointing out how your arguments were irrelevant/inaccurate. In any case, plenty of games handle 4 cores just fine, but you fail to account for the games that do gain some sort of bonus from having more than 4 threads. Crysis 3, for example, and that game is over 3 years old now. New games are being added to the list of "ok, 4 threads is good, but 8 threads is better", and I think the i7 might be more futureproof. 

I don't really look into things enough to know how long until more than 4 threads will be a standard. That's one of the reasons I'm asking. 

I'm not trying to start something neither are you but BETTER is MORE $ to you I'm getting an i7 in my new gaming rig but i5s are great gaming CPUs my local dentist has i3 AIO PCs and they deal with 40-80 people a day! (2 Cores 4 Threads) they have lots of tabs opening with editing aside (Tabs are more ram based but still)

Just now, HooDiniX said:

I'm not trying to start something neither are you but BETTER is MORE $ to you I'm getting an i7 in my new gaming rig but i5s are great gaming CPUs my local dentist has i3 AIO PCs and they deal with 40-80 people a day! (2 Cores 4 Threads) they have lots of tabs opening with editing aside (Tabs are more ram based but still)

You're clearly trying to start something if you make the blind assumption that more money = better to me. You couldn't have gotten that from anything I've said, only your own close-minded view. 

Can you afford an i7 without major compromises elsewhere? If yes, just get it. More cores = better than fewer assuming all else is equal. Games may not always benefit, but multithreaded tasks will, multitasking will, and you will.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Just now, archelocke said:

You're clearly trying to start something if you make the blind assumption that more money = better to me. You couldn't have gotten that from anything I've said, only your own close-minded view. 

I'm hate arguing! for 1 I was help you save money not LOSE it get an i7 6700k or i7 2600k there 80-100$ if you can get 32gb and 980 ti

Z170 SSDs HDDs SSHDS! I'm talking gaming $ to Performance gaming I'm done man its like a baby on heels WHATEVER THAT MEANS!

IMO, the performance increase in games utilising hyperthreading (I've only seen improvements of 10% max, nothing too drastic) is not worth the price difference between something say a i5 6600K and a i7 6700K. Workstation applications (like video editing, rendering etc.) are a completely different thing, I'd definitely prioritise an i7 then.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

35 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

IMO, the performance increase in games utilising hyperthreading (I've only seen improvements of 10%, nothing too drastic) is not worth the price difference between something say a i5 6600K and a i7 6700K. Workstation applications (like video editing, rendering etc. is a completely different thing, I'd definitely prioritise an i7 then.

If I'm going to be doing both gaming and recording/video editing/rendering, should I get an i5 or an i7? I'm going to be recording the games I'm playing, editing them to get rid of any stuff I don't want, and then rendering them to decrease file size and do whatever else rendering does (idk lol). 

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up

33 minutes ago, archelocke said:

If I'm going to be doing both gaming and recording/video editing/rendering, should I get an i5 or an i7? I'm going to be recording the games I'm playing, editing them to get rid of any stuff I don't want, and then rendering them to decrease file size and do whatever else rendering does (idk lol). 

You'll definitely benefit with the i7 and its hyperthreading in that case then.

I'd recommend something like the Xeon 1231 v3 if you're not completely set on Skylake. i7 performance/hyperthreading at the cost of an i5.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

You'll definitely benefit with the i7 and its hyperthreading in that case then.

I'd recommend something like the Xeon 1231 v3 if you're not completely set on Skylake. i7 performance/hyperthreading at the cost of an i5.

Eh, I would get a Xeon, but I am going to be stuck with integrated graphics for a few weeks until I save the money for a GPU. :P

Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, archelocke said:

Eh, I would get a Xeon, but I am going to be stuck with integrated graphics for a few weeks until I save the money for a GPU. :P

Thanks. 

Aw, shucks.

I guess Skylake will have to do then :P

Spoiler

Most review sites do a really poor job of showing us just how much games can vary in performance characteristics. The two that suggest there is a serious problem with the way most benchmarking is done is Digital Foundry and gamegpu.ru. The former shows there is quite significant frame time issues around the older CPUs and also has games that really benefit from extra cores and architecture improvements. Gamegpu.ru on the other hand does CPU FPS comparisons with high end SLI setups and we regularly see significant fps differences between different CPUs but its just one number.

Yet most sites will tell you that the CPU doesn't matter, one of them must be wrong! The issue is actually that every game is a unique piece of software and behaves differently as a result. A few games do use more than 4 cores but its still relatively rare. But in the case where it matters it really matters is that your favourite game of all time!

I faced the dilema coming from a 3930k of another E chip with the 5930k or a 6700k. In the end I boiled it down to my Arma 3 habit being the game I had the most problem running and that I had put literally thousands of hours into with no end in sight. Given that I threw out all my other needs and went for the 6700k and its fixed my fps issues in the game, but I still got an i7 because of all the productivity/video encoding I do with the machine. If the i7 doesn't compromise other choices in the machine then get it, but its so rarely worth spending that much on the CPU at the detriment of the GPU since most games remain GPU limited in most cases. Its the guys wanting high fps with high end GPU setups that really benefit from those last little bits at this point.