Front panel connecters on new build

Go to solution Solved by G27Racer_188,
2 minutes ago, Matthew_EWaring said:

That means that my onboard audio will still work ( sorry I'm pretty stupid about motherboards)

Yes. The onboard audio is for 3.5mm jacks on the back of the M/B and two for the front that I mentioned before.

I have ordered parts for my new pic and my motherboard came first so I have read through the connecters etc. I have come to the section of front panel connecters which I know which can be annoying and mine is confusing the hell out of me, the only problems I have with it is that I do not know what to do with the GND slot.

picture is manual picture of the fpc's

mobo:ASROCK Z97 killer

image.jpg

The fpc connecters in my case are just reset, power, hard drive led, and power led + and -

That 1 GND (ground) pin will be unused. They probably added it so that it would be easier to differentiate orientation of the header.

Anyway, GND is used for switches (power and reset) and it doesn't matter to which GND you connect them, they'll work.

@GetShrektMrKrabs was refering to the case sepeker (the one found on older motherboard that made beeping sound for warnings), but today they are not used as commonly.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

2 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

That 1 GND (ground) pin will be unused. They probably added it so that it would be easier to differentiate orientation of the header.

Anyway, GND is used for switches (power and reset) and it doesn't matter to which GND you connect them, they'll work.

@GetShrektMrKrabs was refering to the case sepeker (the one found on older motherboard that made beeping sound for warnings), but today they are not used as commonly.

Thanks for the information, so would I not need to look at the audio header on the mobo since my case doesn't have a speaker

Thanks for the information, so would I not need to look at the audio header on the mobo since my case doesn't have a speaker

No, the audio header (most bottom left corner) is used for headphone and mic jacks that are on the front of your case. You can forget about the case speaker, since your board will function without it. Truth to be told, even if you wanted to attach it, your board doesn't even have the header for it, so..... (I checked board pics).

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

That means that my onboard audio will still work ( sorry I'm pretty stupid about motherboards)

Yes. The onboard audio is for 3.5mm jacks on the back of the M/B and two for the front that I mentioned before.