Cleaning Surface Pro 3 keyboard

Hello everyone!

My spilled some energy drink onto my surface pro 3, all the keys still work fine, but are very sticky. This is a problem because I use this daily, and the sticky keys are very fatiguing. I am thinking about cleaning by simple washing it with a non conductive liquid, but I am having issues coming up with a liquid I could submerge/spray/rinse the keyboard in.

Thanks.

I've heard suggestion taking of the keys, I'd like to avoid that.

mate, you should've sorted it out before the keys got sticky. I had a Dr. Pepper accident with mine a while ago and it's still not back to normal, it's the same with any keyboard really.

Detach it from the tablet and take it to the sink. Turn the water on and wait for it to get warm. Wash under warm water for a minute or so, pressing the keys as the water cascades over and under them. Don't worry too much about avoiding the touchpad. After that, pour some rubbing alcohol over the keyboard (including the back of the cover, it's really good for cleaning). After that, wash with cold water. Place it in a dry place for 4 days. I know that this is a really long time but there are no holes to speak of for the water to evaporate from. It will be out of action for this time so make sure you have a backup keyboard/mouse for your surface. This method will produce the best result and the more thoroughly you do it the better it'll be.

Don't take off the keys, it breaks them. You need a special tool to take them off.

On 3/1/2016 at 1:02 PM, Mug said:

mate, you should've sorted it out before the keys got sticky. I had a Dr. Pepper accident with mine a while ago and it's still not back to normal, it's the same with any keyboard really.

Detach it from the tablet and take it to the sink. Turn the water on and wait for it to get warm. Wash under warm water for a minute or so, pressing the keys as the water cascades over and under them. Don't worry too much about avoiding the touchpad. After that, pour some rubbing alcohol over the keyboard (including the back of the cover, it's really good for cleaning). After that, wash with cold water. Place it in a dry place for 4 days. I know that this is a really long time but there are no holes to speak of for the water to evaporate from. It will be out of action for this time so make sure you have a backup keyboard/mouse for your surface. This method will produce the best result and the more thoroughly you do it the better it'll be.

Don't take off the keys, it breaks them. You need a special tool to take them off.

I thought that's what I would have to end up doing, I was gonna do it this weekend, but I simply forgot.. Might have to find my spare laptop and use that for a few days.

I am going to try it tonight, and hopefully it'll be fine, or atleast back to decent.