Should I?

Tyranade
Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

theory wise, yes, but your build will not be 100% loaded for 100% of the time it is

on, right? usually 20-30% until an app or game calls for full power from the

device(s). then usually it'll be 60-85% which is past the 50% peak of efficiency.

airdeano

Okay so I've just found out about the RM Series PSUs from Corsair and I am getting one when I upgrade my rig. 

I was thinking about the 750w version, but I was wondering... Should I just splurge on the 1000w Version of the PSU? I know it will be completely overkill for my system (See the "Planned Upgrade" Build in my Rig) but should I do it anyway or just save some money?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

No you can SLI 760's fine with 750w.

I know but wouldn't that have the PSU Pretty much on full load at all times?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

I know but wouldn't that have the PSU Pretty much on full load at all times?

only if the GPU(s) are under load all of the time.

the load is what makes the PSU "scalable" in power output. no load, not as much

watt output.

airdeano

only if the GPU(s) are under load all of the time.

the load is what makes the PSU "scalable" in power output. no load, not as much

watt output.

airdeano

I'm thinking more about Life Time and all that, If I do decide to SLI 2x 760s, will I also have any head room for Expansion or Overclocking on the 750w? And Running at the power limit wouldn't it effect the Life Span?

CPU-Z Validation

your SLI 760 config with monster OC eats only 575watts at 100% load.

just the single 760 is just under 400watts. so unless you are looking to run it as a

server with 10+ HDD you will be fine on 750/760 PSU.

biggest problem on PSU and SLI/CFX is whether the PSU has the appropriate GPU

connectors without using adapters!

airdeano

I'm thinking more about Life Time and all that, If I do decide to SLI 2x 760s, will I also have any head room for Expansion or Overclocking on the 750w? And Running at the power limit wouldn't it effect the Life Span?

You will only pull 600-650w at 100% when overlooked. This will not effect life span at all.

your SLI 760 config with monster OC eats only 575watts at 100% load.

just the single 760 is just under 400watts. so unless you are looking to run it as a

server with 10+ HDD you will be fine on 750/760 PSU.

biggest problem on PSU and SLI/CFX is whether the PSU has the appropriate GPU

connectors without using adapters!

airdeano

The 750w has 4x PCIE 6+2 Pin connectors so you can power 2 Graphics cards from it. I think I will go with the 850w, it isn't as overkill as the 1000w will be and I will feel a bit more comfortable using it especially when I get my hands on a 2nd GTX 760.

You will only pull 600-650w at 100% when overlooked. This will not effect life span at all.

Okay thanks. I think I will buy the 850w just so I feel more comfortable for future expansion but I won't buy the monster 1000w.

CPU-Z Validation

The 750w has 4x PCIE 6+2 Pin connectors so you can power 2 Graphics cards from it. I think I will go with the 850w, it isn't as overkill as the 1000w will be and I will feel a bit more comfortable using it especially when I get my hands on a 2nd GTX 760.

as overkill as the 1000w.. LOLs

one thing about bigger is better, sometimes they won't work as efficiently as the

smaller one. the load makes the PSU not work as efficient as it might need to

provide the best, cleanest and efficient output. something to ponder.

airdeano

as overkill as the 1000w.. LOLs

one thing about bigger is better, sometimes they won't work as efficiently as the

smaller one. the load makes the PSU not work as efficient as it might need to

provide the best, cleanest and efficient output. something to ponder.

airdeano

Yeah because aren't PSUs more efficient at lower loads. I was looking at the graphs on the Corsair Website and it is actually less efficient at really high loads so I guess if I get the 750w it will actually end up being less efficient as it will have a higher load on it I think than the 850w. but wouldn't that make the 1000w the most efficient in my system?

RM850-EFFICIENCY.png

(I'll be on 230Vac)

CPU-Z Validation

theory wise, yes, but your build will not be 100% loaded for 100% of the time it is

device(s). then usually it'll be 60-85% which is past the 50% peak of efficiency.

airdeano

To be honest power efficency is a joke on high end desktops. Like do you really care about the 5$ less a year?

airdeano

Okay, Thanks. I'll go with the RM 850w just in case, I do wan't some head room as I have a bout a billion ideas for expanding my upgrade machine once it is build, like adding a Raid Card and other stuff so the 750w is enough but I think the 850w will give me that little extra head room for me.

CPU-Z Validation