4690K overheating with no OC 90+ C (Swiftech H240X)

So I have a 4690k with a Swiftech H240x AIO. At first I was occasionally seeing spikes to 100 degrees for a few seconds while gaming, then I was running into issues while idling every so oftern. Now I am sitting at 3% load and sitting at 90+ degrees at times with it dropping off over a period of 10 minutes and sitting at around 60-70, as soon as I go into any type of load I go straight to 90+ again. I use an NZXT 440 and I know it has some mediocre airflow at best, but I am using all Cougar Dual X fans, 3 120s in the front pushing and 2 140's on the radiator pulling. In the BIOS I see 0 speed for the CPU fan and I figured that it would have at least shown me the pump speed but I see 0, it also shows the temps in the bios at 90+. I just ordered some AS5 from Newegg as I figured regardless new high quality paste wouldn't hurt but I have literally had the PC for less than a year and never really had any temp issues til 4 months ago or so and now its getting out of hand because I can't game at all, or really do anything for that matter. Thanks for the help

Can you hear the pump running?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well I can't really tell what I am listening for 1 tube is very hot while the other is very cool.

Just now, rdonlick3 said:

Well I can't really tell what I am listening for 1 tube is very hot while the other is very cool.

You're listening for some kind of motorized noise. You'll have to put your ear at the pump, most likely.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Yes I can hear a small noise hard to discern from the fan. The pump area near the reservoir has subtle vibration as well.

The rad feels room temperature, the area near the pump and reservoir feels cool, but the apparatus on the actual processor is pretty hot

Just now, rdonlick3 said:

Yes I can hear a small noise hard to discern from the fan. The pump area near the reservoir has subtle vibration as well.

I just tested my own tubes on my Kraken x60 and they're both warm, so I almost wonder if there's some kind of air bubble inside.

Well coming from the pump should be cool and leaving should be warm, idk why they would both be warm

Also unlike other AIO like the kraken the swiftech pump is up at the reservoir I believe and not on top of the actual processor

2 minutes ago, rdonlick3 said:

Also unlike other AIO like the kraken the swiftech pump is up at the reservoir I believe and not on top of the actual processor

Yes, but it is transferring heat. I would imagine both of them would be warm.

With the increase in problems I have been having slowly over time the past few months I want to believe that it's the paste but was seeing if anyone else had issues or an idea

I mean I very seldomly see little air bubbles in the reservoir window, but nothing consistent 

Gently rock your case back and forth and side to to side. That will generally dislodge any bubbles and air pockets that may have formed inside your case. 

What motherboard are you using?

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

12 hours ago, rdonlick3 said:

Now I am sitting at 3% load and sitting at 90+ degrees at times with it dropping off over a period of 10 minutes and sitting at around 60-70, as soon as I go into any type of load I go straight to 90+ again.

It sounds like there's either a problem with the pump or you have a blockage of some sort in either the lines or the rad.  The lines Swiftech uses are flexible and easy to pinch.  My recommendation is to kill the power to your machine, and hook the pump up to another power supply's SATA connector.  This will get the pump running at 100%.  Once it's running, pinch one of the lines.  Listen carefully for changes in the pump's pitch.  If it doesn't change pitch, you likely have a blockage somewhere or something else is wrong.

Failing all of that, head to Swiftech's website and post in their tech support section.  Their guy @Dango is very responsive.

The symptoms you're listing match what happened to my Corsair 110i GT, which I've since removed and thrown away (piece of crap).  I could clear hear the pump, but my processor would instantly overheat just sitting in my BIOS screen.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Well this morning I powered up after rocking it back and forth and instantly I saw bubbles moving in the reservoir window, temps are down to 20 degrees idle and I definitely see the pump working, so as of right now I hope the issue has resolved itself, already ordered some AS5 and their cleaner so I'll do a full dusting and fresh paste and hopefully I am good to go for that.

Now I also see fan speed in the bios which I had set the CPU fan to Full Speed and it was showing me 2900-3000 rpms, after that restart though I don't see the pump running like before and I see the temps slowly moving up. During the restart in the BIOS I set it back to normal, would it be OK to leave it on full speed all the time?

Yep started running ark and I see no pump movement now and I am sitting in the 90's

So I cleaned everything up properly applied some AS5 I grabbed of newegg, topped off the reservoir, now the pump is not even starting from a cold boot, any amount of load (20-30%) brings the temps right to 90-100.. this is getting upsetting...

On 2/29/2016 at 9:51 AM, rdonlick3 said:

Now I also see fan speed in the bios which I had set the CPU fan to Full Speed and it was showing me 2900-3000 rpms, after that restart though I don't see the pump running like before and I see the temps slowly moving up. During the restart in the BIOS I set it back to normal, would it be OK to leave it on full speed all the time?

I don't think the pump is a variable speed pump anyways, and if that's the case, it should be running at full speed constantly.

Well I thought it might have something to determine whether it needs to be at full speed or not, but honestly I could tell the difference in sound when I switched it to full speed so it must have some kind of control. It was noticeably louder when it was set to stay at full speed.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I don't think the pump is a variable speed pump anyways, and if that's the case, it should be running at full speed constantly.

The pump is PWM controlled.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

The pump is PWM controlled.

You're correct. Just verified it against Swiftech's website.