Just bought my first DSLR! Thoughts?

Got a Nikon D3300 for a really good deal. Super excited to use it in the wild. Just wondering if anyone knows of some must have accessories that don't break the bank?

<3

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

1 minute ago, beebskadoo said:

Got a Nikon D3300 for a really good deal. Super excited to use it in the wild. Just wondering if anyone knows of some must have accessories that don't break the bank?

<3

Polarizing filter is a must.

A UV filter is pretty good as well, I use mine just as a lens protector though.

Quote me if you want me to reply.

Brand Blacklist: Gainward, Silverstone, Cougar, Gigabyte.

2 minutes ago, HatsuneMilku said:

Polarizing filter is a must.

A UV filter is pretty good as well, I use mine just as a lens protector though.

UV filters are pretty useless even as lens protectors.

but that's a good suggestion for polarizing filter 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Get a grip or just a bunch of batteries (Wasabi Power is good.). Seriously, running out of battery on a long shoot or forgetting to charge/accidentally leaving your camera on and draining it SUCKS!!!

If you're doing video get a VariND, but you don't buy a Nikon for video. VariND lets you change the level of light-blockingness from the filter, which is sooo handy. Fotga filters are like $15 and are pretty well built, but do introduce some black bands at certain levels.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

I'll second the recommendation for a grip.  If you have big hands a grip is a fantastic addition.  The extended battery life is also a lifesaver for video.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

On 2/28/2016 at 10:06 PM, awesomes8wc3 said:

Get a grip or just a bunch of batteries (Wasabi Power is good.). Seriously, running out of battery on a long shoot or forgetting to charge/accidentally leaving your camera on and draining it SUCKS!!!

If you're doing video get a VariND, but you don't buy a Nikon for video. VariND lets you change the level of light-blockingness from the filter, which is sooo handy. Fotga filters are like $15 and are pretty well built, but do introduce some black bands at certain levels.

4 hours ago, rmac52 said:

I'll second the recommendation for a grip.  If you have big hands a grip is a fantastic addition.  The extended battery life is also a lifesaver for video.

A grip is a really good idea!

The D3300 has pretty much the best battery life in its class as far as I know, vastly outlasting Cannon and Sony cameras with similar hardware so a spare battery might not be an issue unless I am taking video all day long. I do however plan on buying a battery at some point. What is a little saddening is the lack of Wi-Fi natively on the camera though Nikon does sell an adapter that I may end up buying solely for the GPS functionality that's built in.

My main uses for the camera will be portraits, HDR, Panorama and 60fps Video.

I have been told that for video I should try to find a lens that is near silent during focus because the stock lens is quite a noise machine!

I want to buy the Nikkor 50mm f1.8G but at 200 dollars (even though that is a completely reasonable price) it's just a little outside my current budget so I am picking up an older Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens for 1/10th that price from a friend, though it's older and doesn't have AF.

Does anyone have any lens recommendations that don't break the bank? New or used, it doesn't matter :)

Hail Sithis!

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, beebskadoo said:

<3

Depending on what you shoot, I would recommend a external flash to mount on the hotshoe. I had a small flash for my camera, but getting a larger flash (Canon Speedlite 430EXIII RT) really allowed me to grab photos in low light that I couldn't before. That or shoot at ISO100 all of the time (Sure, I'm blinding the heck out of relatives for using the lowest ISO, but it's alright, I get nice sharp photos). Get a cheap diffuser to put on the end of the flash for nicer light bouncing.

I also second getting more batteries / a grip. It really sucks when your battery dies.

If you are recording video and want proper audio, you should look into a external microphone. Even with the quiet STM lenses on my Canon camera, I can still hear noise from the motor...well, either way, the internal microphone isn't that great.

On 28 February 2016 at 3:58 AM, beebskadoo said:

Just wondering if anyone knows of some must have accessories that don't break the bank?

Yes, learning to be a better photographer.  That doesn't break the bank at all.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

23 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Yes, learning to be a better photographer.  That doesn't break the bank at all.

Savage, but true

3 hours ago, beebskadoo said:

Does anyone have any lens recommendations that don't break the bank? New or used, it doesn't matter :)

Just use the camera for now, there as a lot to learn and no point getting even more equipment to get confused over

give it some time before you spend any more money on stuff, and you can plan out what you need/want/desire as your abilities grow

people can recommend all sorts of lenses, but in the future you will know what you need, I know for example the gear that I need to make my life easier, but that comes with practice and experience 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii