stupid simple program thatll launch at bootup thatll have a couple buttons open websites or uninstall the program?

HeyKitty

So I'm hoping I could be pointed in the right direction here on where to start.

I own a PC repair shop and the hardest thing to do is get people to write reviews.  So I'm thinking of trying a new tactic.

I want to put on a tiny program that on windows bootup/restart the program will launch and display a little message with contact info and such and the have a list of buttons linking to places they can leave reviews (facebook, yelp, google, foursqaure, bbb, ect.) and then a "remind me later button" and an "uninstall/never show this popup again" button...

What would you recommend for someone who only knows HTML/CSS...

(I figure I'd do a lot of googling/copy/pasting)

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

I wouldn't do this. I honestly believe that you may acquire bad reviews due the the bloat ware that you intentionally installed on the users PC without their permission or knowledge. 

2 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

I wouldn't do this. I honestly believe that you may acquire bad reviews due the the bloat ware that you intentionally installed on the users PC without their permission or knowledge. 

It'll be written on their dropoff receipt they sign, and Ill put up a framed sign next to the other disclaimers.

Edit: Might also want to add, my main customer base is 60+ retired, and I really don't think they know how to find me on yelp to put a review, and without that good review, I can't attract the younger crowd.

Please don't, those types of things are so annoying.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I'm sorry I don't have a suggestion for you, but I wanted to provide you with my thoughts on this idea. I would find this very intrusive if I brought my computer to you and when I got home it asked me to leave a review every time I started it up. In fact I would not go back to you or recommend your shop because of it. I don't mean to sound so harsh but I want to be honest. I think you would be better off asking for an e-mail address and sending them an e-mail after they have picked up their computer. I would also include a business card or a sheet of paper with the computer when you return it to them asking them to leave a review. 

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

Please don't, those types of things are so annoying.

That is why there will be one button thatll uninstall and trash the program, it's just a way to remind customers that reviews really do keep me in business.

2 minutes ago, HeyKitty said:

It'll be written on their dropoff receipt they sign, and Ill put up a framed sign next to the other disclaimers.

To be honest I think you should just pass out flyers telling them where they could go to write a review, less work in the long run and you're loyal customers satisfied with your service will probably do it.  

Instead of pre-installing bloatware on all of your systems, why not just make some stickers with all of the information you want to provide on there, and stick them to the bottom of the devices? Just an idea off of the top of my head.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

Just now, lopj245 said:

To be honest I think you should just pass out flyers telling them where they could go to write a review, less work in the long run and you're loyal customers satisfied with your service will probably do it.  

how is handing out fliers that they then would have to type in links to easier than moving a program over on a USB drive and having a one-button click for the customer better?  The program would be way more convenient for a non tech savvy elder. and if they don't want it, there will be a big ol'e button for them to delete me forever.

Just now, Skyber21 said:

Instead of pre-installing bloatware on all of your systems, why not just make some stickers with all of the information you want to provide on there, and stick them to the bottom of the devices? Just an idea off of the top of my head.

I looked at getting like official PC stickers, but I was quoted anywhere from $2.50 to $7 a piece with a 500 minimum order. I cant afford the nicer stickers that dont look like garbage.

1 minute ago, HeyKitty said:

how is handing out fliers that they then would have to type in links to easier than moving a program over on a USB drive and having a one-button click for the customer better?  The program would be way more convenient for a non tech savvy elder. and if they don't want it, there will be a big ol'e button for them to delete me forever.

I looked at getting like official PC stickers, but I was quoted anywhere from $2.50 to $7 a piece with a 500 minimum order. I cant afford the nicer stickers that dont look like garbage.

I never said it was the best solution but installing bloat on a a users PC is definitely the worst solution.  However, my opinion subjective and it's your choice in the end so whatever route you decide to follow I hope it  works out for ya.

Just now, HeyKitty said:

The program would be way more convenient for a non tech savvy elder. and if they don't want it, there will be a big ol'e button for them to delete me forever.

If you really want the program, I can whip something up for you. I have experience developing Windows programs, and I'm also a graphic designer so the end result would look clean and professional. Since it's such a simple program I wouldn't bother charging you anything. PM me if you're interested.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

3 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Maybe put shortcuts on their desktop, it'll be less intrusive and they'll be more likely to not get annoyed with it.

This is a good alternative.

3 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

I never said it was the best solution but installing bloat on a a users PC is definitely the worst solution.  However, my opinion subjective and it's your choice in the end so whatever route you decide to follow I hope it  works out for ya.

Yeah, I was afraid of asking the techy community, because it is bloaty, but I am trying for convenience, and the only way to know if it is going to be good, or hurt business is to try it out for awhile.

3 minutes ago, Skyber21 said:

If you really want the program, I can whip something up for you. I have experience developing Windows programs, and I'm also a graphic designer so the end result would look clean and professional. Since it's such a simple program I wouldn't bother charging you anything. PM me if you're interested.

I would love this!

Things that will need to happen though:

I will download and install on a workbench PC, and I will want to be able to view all the code (for obvious safety reasons for my customers) and I get to customize the text and such to customize it a bit.

I can give you credit (or whoever wishes to receive credit) for the program.

Just now, HeyKitty said:

I would love this!

Things that will need to happen though:

I will download and install on a workbench PC, and I will want to be able to view all the code (for obvious safety reasons for my customers) and I get to customize the text and such to customize it a bit.

I can give you credit (or whoever wishes to receive credit) for the program.

Sounds good! I'll get back to you shortly.

Just now, Skyber21 said:

Sounds good! I'll get back to you shortly.

Alright, no real rush, I just signed papers to open another location, and I'm opening doors Tuesday... So I am pretty time cramped at the moment. Only here because WAN show :) but I will be around.  I will only be putting it on customers PC who initial that section.  I only work on Win7/8/8.1/10 no need to worry linux/apple/Win Vista and older.

Just now, HeyKitty said:

Alright, no real rush, I just signed papers to open another location, and I'm opening doors Tuesday... So I am pretty time cramped at the moment. Only here because WAN show :) but I will be around.  I will only be putting it on customers PC who initial that section.  I only work on Win7/8/8.1/10 no need to worry linux/apple/Win Vista and older.

That's awesome. Yeah, no problem. Do you have a specific color scheme in mind? If you have a company logo, then it's usually best to pick a color scheme that matches your logo.

Just now, Skyber21 said:

That's awesome. Yeah, no problem. Do you have a specific color scheme in mind? If you have a company logo, then it's usually best to pick a color scheme that matches your logo.

Yes I do, I will message you the color codes... I like to keep my anonymity here.

If you really wanted to do something like this, just go grab AutoHotKey and build something yourself. It's super easy and once you've built it you can compile it as a .exe to make it work on PCs even if they don't have AHK installed.

-KuJoe

6 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

If you really wanted to do something like this, just go grab AutoHotKey and build something yourself. It's super easy and once you've built it you can compile it as a .exe to make it work on PCs even if they don't have AHK installed.

I'll see what @Skyber21 can do for me, but this does look promising if what he is working on doesn't work out.

10 hours ago, Psycosis86 said:

I'm sorry I don't have a suggestion for you, but I wanted to provide you with my thoughts on this idea. I would find this very intrusive if I brought my computer to you and when I got home it asked me to leave a review every time I started it up. In fact I would not go back to you or recommend your shop because of it. I don't mean to sound so harsh but I want to be honest. I think you would be better off asking for an e-mail address and sending them an e-mail after they have picked up their computer. I would also include a business card or a sheet of paper with the computer when you return it to them asking them to leave a review. 

I so agree with this. If I were to leave a computer at a repair shop, I would not want something like this installed. I'd start looking for other potential crap they might have installed (Not at all saying you, @HeyKitty, are, but that's just my own paranoia and how I'd react).

But something as easy as an email a couple of days after that the PC has been returned, containing something like;

"Did you like our service? Recommend it to others by writing a review here or here" etc.. That I wouldn't mind, almost kind of expect. You could also include something along the lines of "Still having issues, do not hesitate to contact us again!" and possibly avoid a bad review if something is still not working a hundred percent.

If they did really like your service though, I don't think they'd mind taking a couple of minutes to review you. But having a random program installed might not be something they'd want. I know I wouldn't.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

3 hours ago, lubblig said:

I so agree with this. If I were to leave a computer at a repair shop, I would not want something like this installed. I'd start looking for other potential crap they might have installed (Not at all saying you, @HeyKitty, are, but that's just my own paranoia and how I'd react).

There'll be a 8.5x11" sign that'll have in nice big letters that a pop-up program will be installed thatll contain links to places to leave a review.

and on their drop-off receipt (when a customer drops off a computer, they  have to sign a "waiver" that gives the company and all employees access to all information on their computer and supply us with any passwords we may require. and then a bunch of storage and other "rules". I'll add a paragraph for the program that they'll have a choice to initial to have the program installed.  if there is no initials, there will be no program.  It's simply for those who want it.

I think by going about it this way, I will get much more positive feedback.

13 minutes ago, HeyKitty said:

There'll be a 8.5x11" sign that'll have in nice big letters that a pop-up program will be installed thatll contain links to places to leave a review.

and on their drop-off receipt (when a customer drops off a computer, they  have to sign a "waiver" that gives the company and all employees access to all information on their computer and supply us with any passwords we may require. and then a bunch of storage and other "rules". I'll add a paragraph for the program that they'll have a choice to initial to have the program installed.  if there is no initials, there will be no program.  It's simply for those who want it.

I think by going about it this way, I will get much more positive feedback.

Yeah, if you really make it clear what you are doing, then it'll probably not be that big of a deal. I thought it was more of a thing you'd do without consent/prior knowledge to the user.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

31 minutes ago, lubblig said:

Yeah, if you really make it clear what you are doing, then it'll probably not be that big of a deal. I thought it was more of a thing you'd do without consent/prior knowledge to the user.

I should of made that more obvious in the OP that I make them sign over pretty much everything to the business and its employees. I even have a big price list of all the services and fees + "other costs" so that if they took the time to read it, they'd know the pricing before I even quoted them... But.... the majority of the customers don't read anything... I hand them the waiver, they read the big bold titles for each paragraph and just sign it... but as long as I have a signed copy, and they get a blank one. It's not my fault.

15 hours ago, HeyKitty said:

I should of made that more obvious in the OP that I make them sign over pretty much everything to the business and its employees. I even have a big price list of all the services and fees + "other costs" so that if they took the time to read it, they'd know the pricing before I even quoted them... But.... the majority of the customers don't read anything... I hand them the waiver, they read the big bold titles for each paragraph and just sign it... but as long as I have a signed copy, and they get a blank one. It's not my fault.

PM links to the websites you want and i can have it made within an hour. This'll only work on Windows but i figure that won't be a big problem.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),