Apple vs FBI

A nice read if you are interested in the case

http://www.macworld.com/article/3038355/security/the-5-biggest-reveals-from-apples-motion-to-dismiss-the-fbis-court-order.html

No, I didn't go to Macworld.com out of my own free will, it was a link from a news site. :P

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I'm glad android is open source. Can't really sneak a backdoor like that without someone noticing. I feel like Apple's stance is the right approach, they shouldn't compromise their user's privacy like that, no matter the reason. If what FBI asks is done, then they might as well get rid of encryption altogether, as having a backdoor defeats the very purpose of its existence.

Oh yeah, FBI is a bunch of incompetent plebs. They better go back to IRC and use girl names to bait for predators. That's all they know about technology.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Damn, I never liked Apple, but after this FBI thing, I am really considering buying an iPhone.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

3 minutes ago, RuLeZ said:

Damn, I never liked Apple, but after this FBI thing, I am really considering buying an iPhone.

Calm down RuLez, we don't need to go that far.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

My parents don't understand the importance of privacy and think I don't have anything to hide so let them snoop around. That's the equivalent of saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say as Snowden said. Their main argument is that we should be doing everything to catch the terrorists and while that is a very valid argument, you need to ask yourself: at what cost? Yes we will get information that may help us prevent future attacks but we will loose whatever privacy we have left to the government and iPhones will be open season for hackers.

not that long but tl;dr fuck the bad guys but fuck the FBI even more

For once I'm completely with Apple with this one. If your bank made someone a master key to all of the safety deposit boxes (including yours, lets assume you have one) and gave it to the government for the purpose of opening one, the only thing that would stop them from opening all of them would be a promise? The U.S. government breaks promises every day, why would this lead me to believe that they would keep this one?  Plus this would open the doors to hackers as well, if you make a universal key, then one exploit would open all of the phones. 

Not that I disagree with you. But the government or the bank can get a locksmith. Just saying :)

This whole case is akin to stating that if a criminal drove a Mercedes, then Mercedes are somehow responsible.

If the FBI want to hack into this guy's phone, then they should figure out how to do it themselves without bothering Apple.

Linus is my fetish.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:45 AM, Bhav said:

This whole case is akin to stating that if a criminal drove a Mercedes, then Mercedes are somehow responsible.

If the FBI want to hack into this guy's phone, then they should figure out how to do it themselves without bothering Apple.

That was the first thing I thought(If the FBI want's into a phone, they should be capable of getting into it themselves).  The problem with this, as I was informed, is that they pretty much can't.

Apparently the iPhone has an option to only allow so many falied attempts(10 I believe) before the phone will wipe it's own storage completely.  This eliminates any real chance of brute force breaking the phones code to gain access.  So from what I understand, the only possible way to get into this phone would be to actually pass an update or alter the OS somehow to the point where the feature to only allow ten tries is disabled(At least from what I've heard).