Rear Projection Screen

Lardzor

We've all seen 3 monitor gaming set ups on someones desk, but the flat screens make the 3 monitors look like half of a hexagon, and the bezels are a big distraction.  What if you could have all that resolution on a perfectly curved 180 degree screen with no bezels.  I think it's possible using projectors and edge-blending.

I just thought it would be cool if Linus Tech Tips could build a desk with a built-in ultra wide, rear projection display that curved 180 degrees. I was thinking about a crescent shaped desk with a curved rear projection screen mounted on it, using 3 edge-blended pico projectors.

You should be able to get over 180 degree field of view even with overlap for edge blending, and some pico projects like those from Microvision use a lens-less technology that gives them 'Infinite-focus' so they can project onto a curved surface without any blurring.

Basically like a smaller version of the display in this video, except with 3 rear mounted projectors instead of 2 forward mounted ones.

Microvision Infinite Focus:

Edge Blending:

the thing is, rear proejections screens suck to make and work with

this is not an easy proposition

that being said, i want this

now

25 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

rear projection screens suck to make and work with

this is not an easy proposition

I've looked into DIY rear projection screens online, and the biggest problem seems to be finding a suitable material for the screen, and mounting it  so that the screen is taught and there are no wrinkles. 

DIY successes seem to always involve shower curtain material for the screen. I suppose it's because shower curtains are a transparent material that also diffuses light. You don't want to use a material with white pigment that reflects light, you want a clear material that is textured or frosted to diffuse light. It seems some shower curtains fit that bill.

I was thinking for a small desk-sized screen, a thin clear sheet of plastic would work if it could diffuse the light. Maybe use sand paper on it, or spray on come cooking oil like Pam cooking spray.

2 minutes ago, Lardzor said:

I've looked into DIY rear projection screens online, and the biggest problem seems to be finding a suitable material for the screen, and mounting it  so that the screen is taught and there are no wrinkles. 

DIY successes seem to always involve shower curtain material for the screen. I suppose it's because shower curtains are a transparent material that also diffuses light. You don't want to use a material with white pigment that reflects light, you want a clear material that is textured or frosted to diffuse light. It seems some shower curtains fit that bill.

I was thinking for a small desk-sized screen, a thin clear sheet of plastic would work if it could diffuse the light. Maybe use sand paper on it, or spray on come cooking oil like Pam cooking spray.

no matter what, any material of a reasonable price is gonna be terrible for something like this

proper rear projection material is expensive as balls, and cheap stuff looks like ass

1 hour ago, Josephdalepi said:

no matter what, any material of a reasonable price is gonna be terrible for something like this

proper rear projection material is expensive as balls, and cheap stuff looks like ass

Looks like you just need a piece of glass and a spray on coating. Something  better than Pam cooking spray though.