The impossible has happened: Testing Radeon and GeForce together in DirectX 12

pasmado75

We knew this a long, long time ago...

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

has anyone else actually tested it before pcworld?

I'll give nvidia 6 more months before they forcibly disable anything even remotely close to this.

I mean, its not like theres actual scripting already in the current geforce drivers that cause them to stop running if they detect crimson or catalyst running. Oh wait... That's exactly what there is, and nvidia implemented it for almost the same reason; on the surface it was "to ensure a more stable work environment" when in reality it was "To fuck over people who ran dedicated physx cards along side an amd main gpu for rendering" 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

3 minutes ago, pasmado75 said:

has anyone else actually tested it before pcworld?

Yes. AnandTech did it last year: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview

And just recently did a revisit of it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10067/ashes-of-the-singularity-revisited-beta

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

6 minutes ago, Atmos said:

I'll give nvidia 6 more months before they forcibly disable anything even remotely close to this.

I mean, its not like theres actual scripting already in the current geforce drivers that cause them to stop running if they detect crimson or catalyst running. Oh wait... That's exactly what there is, and nvidia implemented it for almost the same reason; on the surface it was "to ensure a more stable work environment" when in reality it was "To fuck over people who ran dedicated physx cards along side an amd main gpu for rendering" 

if they do I say we boycot them until they allow it again 

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

9 minutes ago, astranger200 said:

If only we all would, but most of people don't care and that's why nvidia is getting away with this MO for years. This is a textbook example of unfair competition.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Just now, A/C said:

If only we all would, but most of people don't care and that's why nvidia is getting away with this MO for years. This is a textbook example of unfair competition.

there is some law against it isn't there? well at the very least we will be able to run two different gpus from the sam brand together :)

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

6 minutes ago, astranger200 said:

there is some law against it isn't there? well at the very least we will be able to run two different gpus from the sam brand together :)

Well we can, for now. BUT, like @Atmos said it's only a matter of time before nvidia disables their cards when a radeon card is present in the system.

There is a law, but as far as my, admittedly narrow understanding of American corporate law goes in this case it doesn't apply. On the other hand who gives nvidia the right to disable MY device which I bought from them and paid for fair and square?

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I don't know why nvidia would want to disable this at all. It gives them a chance to have some AMD lovers to also use their own cards. Nvidia lovers will always be with nvidia, AMD lovers will always be with AMD, but if someone is on the fence then they'll be able to get both. Everyone wins.

33 minutes ago, astranger200 said:

11 minutes ago, A/C said:

Well we can, for now. BUT, like @Atmos said it's only a matter of time before nvidia disables their cards when a radeon card is present in the system.

There is a law, but as far as my, admittedly narrow understanding of American corporate law goes in this case it doesn't apply. On the other hand who gives nvidia the right to disable MY device which I bought from them and paid for fair and square?

you guys dont seem to realize, nvidia has already done this. when geforce drivers detect crimson/catalyst running they disable accelerated physx processing, literslly disabling any physx calculations not made on a cpu. the only reason they did this was to force those of us out there with cheap nvidia cards as dedicated physx cards and  a stronger amd card for the heavy lifting, to either stop using their tech or force us into buying their more expensive product. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

24 minutes ago, Atmos said:

-snip-

Oh we know.

Hopefully this is implemented and adopted without corporate greed standing in the way of the future.

I see no point in this. But it can only get better for us Customers.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO