Overclocking a 5820k

Ok, so for christmas I saved up and built myself a new rig. I have been curious just how much extra performance I could squeeze out of it by overclocking.

Being a total noob to this, I've been snooping around for some help. Sadly, all forums online seem to go into a lot of detail and don't actually recommend any settings. This I really don't understand so would love just some straight up info on what a good mild overclock would be(It'll be my first one so I don't want to over do it. I'll leave a full list of specs since though I can guess which will actively affect this I really don't want to assume and mess up.

Cpu: intel i7 5820k

cpu cooler: corsair h55 (single 120mm rad)

Gpu: gigabyte g1 gaming 970

Mo-bo: msi sli+ (might need for bios? no clue...)
psu: xfx pro 850w (80+ gold)

Ram: 16gbs corsair lpx ddr4 2133mhz

storage: 1tb wd blue hdd + 256g samsung 850evo ssd

case: nzxt h440 (I know it doesn't matter)

Thanks in advance.

somewhere between 0 and 30%

no way to know until you actually do it...lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You either win or lose the silicon lottery :)

Thanks,

Reese

I got 4.4GHz stable on my chip, and got a little further (about 4.7GHz, albeit unstable) at about 1.3V-ish.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

27 minutes ago, Enderman said:

thanks, should hopefully help. wish me luck!

I have a 5820k with a hyper 212 evo (should be roughly similar to the h55) and am comfortable with a current OC of 4.2 @ 1.26v.

Aida64 temps are about 75c on the hottest core and CPU intensive games and programs stay under 70c.

Normal web browsing, watching videos and other non intensive programs have the CPU run at about 35-40c.

1 minute ago, Snadzies said:

I have a 5820k with a hyper 212 evo (should be roughly similar to the h55) and am comfortable with a current OC of 4.2 @ 1.26v.

Aida64 temps are about 75c on the hottest core and CPU intensive games and programs stay under 70c.

Normal web browsing, watching videos and other non intensive programs have the CPU run at about 35-40c.

Great, this is just what I needed. Thanks!

Just now, Superiority said:

good luck with piece of shit cooler.

Salty as you may be, I know what you mean. I had went to get a hyper 212 evo or such but shop was out of stock. this was best I could get. anyway if my cpu struggles(I will be testing it) I'll just dial down a bit.

Just now, Oishter said:

Salty as you may be, I know what you mean. I had went to get a hyper 212 evo or such but shop was out of stock. this was best I could get. anyway if my cpu struggles(I will be testing it) I'll just dial down a bit.

hmm ok but personally i would go for something better for a high overclock.

hmm ok but personally i would go for something better for a high overclock.

I would have, but My budget restricted me. I amn't exactly going for balls to the walls yet, I just amn't ready for that. Still learning.

Just now, Oishter said:

I would have, but My budget restricted me. I amn't exactly going for balls to the walls yet, I just amn't ready for that. Still learning.

use p95 26.6 1344k to stress test, run it for an hour, that will crash an unstable oc within minutes yet aida would take hours.

use p95 26.6 1344k to stress test, run it for an hour, that will crash an unstable oc within minutes yet aida would take hours.

great, thanks for the advice.