I think my friend and I saved someone's life.

Blucyrik

Hey guys, I have a story to tell y'all... It happened yesterday at around 4:45 PM (Feb. 23rd, 2016).

So yesterday, in Colorado Springs, my friend and I were driving back from a craigslist deal (he sold his GoPro) south-bound I-25 back to our dorm. However, as soon as we reached the turnoff to Woodmen Rd, my friend slammed on his brakes, and as soon as I looked up, I saw a bunch of cars stopped in our lane. We looked a little ahead, and saw a black Dodge Challenger idling down the small hill, probably going about 5-10mph. Did he stall his car or something? Car problems? We weren't sure... until we saw something moving frantically through the back window of his guy's car... and then we saw the car roll into the next lane over. Something wasn't right.

So my friend drove in front of the car and pulled over to the side and we turned our heads around. The dude driving was having a seizure or stroke or something!!! My friend yells to me "Call 911!!! He's having a heart attack or something!!!" With us parked on the side of the road, the car is still moving back and forth between 3 or 4 lanes, bouncing off of the guard rails on both sides of the highway. We get out of our car and my friend sprints to this guy's car, trying to open the door of the car to steer off of the road and pull his hand brake, but the door's locked.

Since the car was bouncing through lanes and guard rails, he was probably INCHES from getting smacked by one of the Semi-trucks going by.

As soon as my friend got to our car, the guy was probably about 50 yards down the road, still moving. After finding out the door was locked, my friend sprints back to me, and tells me to get back in the car so we can continue following him. (I was still on 911, trying to tell the operator where we were and what's going on) We eventually lost sight of him. Eventually we got back on the highway (since there was a ton of traffic it was difficult to chase after this guy) and about a half a mile down the road we see him in the median, crashed into one of the guard rails in the ditch.

We pull up, and jump out and try to get this guy out of his car. The guy is probably in his mid-20's. We knocked on one of the windows, and he responds. The guy was COMPLETELY delirious, and had no idea what happened. "I was just driving to school man. Where am I? What happened to my car? Who did this?" he says. We get him out of the car, and there's orange-yellow stuff coming out of his mouth and nose (drug overdose or something?).

He tries to sit on the guard rail next to his car, but he collapses right in front of us.

Mere seconds later, an ambulance and firetruck pulls up. Paramedics rush towards him, and get him into the ambulance in literally seconds. Everyone's yelling trying to save this poor guy, and then the ambulance pulls away, most likely to a nearby hospital. Then some cops came up to us, asking questions like what had exactly happened. We explained the situation as we saw it.

Just minutes ago I found out what had happened. I received word that this was due to a heart condition he had with the combination of heroin. The woman on the phone who told me this was from the hospital he's staying at. She said if we had called 911 just minutes later and didn't help this guy, he would have died.

I'm still amazed at what had happened. I thought I would share this since this is probably the craziest thing I've ever seen in my life. Hope you enjoyed the story :)

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

Good on you! 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

29 minutes ago, Jbax1899 said:

Well damn! Did you ever hear how the guy ended up?

it's at the end silly :P

1 hour ago, Blucyrik said:

Just minutes ago I found out what had happened. I received word that this was due to a heart condition he had with the combination of heroin. The woman on the phone who told me this was from the hospital he's staying at. She said if we had called 911 just minutes later and didn't help this guy, he would have died.

In other words, it looks like he's gonna be ok :)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

the question is...

- heart condition

- heroin

- driving

Yeah really... those 3 don't mix too well.

Just now, Blucyrik said:

Yeah really... those 3 don't mix too well.

like, any two of these together are bad, but the 3..

- heart condition and heorin, sure, if you're gonna die young anyways you may as wel go ham. but dont put any people in danger by driving like that.

- heroin and driving. maybe not together, but after the fact the guy seemed sober, so i doubt he was driving while spaced. but if you know you have a heart condition.. yeah.. no.

- driving and heart condition, i see no problem here, just dont drive if you're feeling bad that day.

i'm not gonna comment on people doing stupid stuff with their own lives, but the moment they bring other people in danger, its our problem as much as its theirs.

Just now, manikyath said:

like, any two of these together are bad, but the 3..

- heart condition and heorin, sure, if you're gonna die young anyways you may as wel go ham. but dont put any people in danger by driving like that.

- heroin and driving. maybe not together, but after the fact the guy seemed sober, so i doubt he was driving while spaced. but if you know you have a heart condition.. yeah.. no.

- driving and heart condition, i see no problem here, just dont drive if you're feeling bad that day.

i'm not gonna comment on people doing stupid stuff with their own lives, but the moment they bring other people in danger, its our problem as much as its theirs.

One thing that REALLY got to me was that people didn't seem to care... Hundreds of cars passed this guy and my friend and I were the only ones that helped.

I understand if you had a meeting to get to, don't have time, gotta get somewhere in a hurry, etc. But that fact that nobody else came to help the poor guy makes me wonder how selfish people can be sometimes.

1 minute ago, Blucyrik said:

One thing that REALLY got to me was that people didn't seem to care... Hundreds of cars passed this guy and my friend and I were the only ones that helped.

I understand if you had a meeting to get to, don't have time, gotta get somewhere in a hurry, etc. But that fact that nobody else came to help the poor guy makes me wonder how selfish people can be sometimes.

the problem is modern society's attitude, they sure want to help, but they dont want to put themselves in danger for that.

also a lot of people that just dont give a crap about being a hero today, and just want to get to work for their coffee.