Need help with trouble shooting my computer build.

ishoelaceee

Hello i recently just purchased all the parts to build a gaming PC, i have been playing consoles for the last 7 years and finally decided to make the jump into PC gaming. The problem i am having is that when i try to boot my device i get no signal from HDMI or VGA to my monitor, but if i remove the graphics card and boot it then i can load the BIOS. I am currently in the process of trying to load the my operating system through a bootable usb. I got my hands on a free copy of windows 8.1 with a key just to get the computer running untill i can upgrade to windows 10. When changing the boot order in the bios and saving changes i get a screen that says press any key to boot, the problem here is when i push a key that message just keeps popping up and nothing else happens. 

So i guess i have two issues as of now

Number 1- I can not get windows to boot through my bootable usb assuming that it is in fact a bootable usb lol

Number 2- Why wont my computer boot with my graphics card installed.

Specs on computer

MSI z97s SLI krait-mobo

Intel i7 4790k-cpu

16gigs hyper x fury- ram

gigabit gtx970 windforce-GPU

EVGA 750 watt- power supply

seagate 2TB- harddrive

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything by stating this, but are you making sure to plug your video cable into your graphics card instead of your motherboard I/O when you try to boot? 

On the subject of the bootable usb though, all i can say is try making another bootable usb (after redownloading the img/iso file) or maybe making an install dvd. Sometimes you can get weird corruptions when you download windows install cds

9 minutes ago, Fake Dragonite said:

I'm not trying to be mean or anything by stating this, but are you making sure to plug your video cable into your graphics card instead of your motherboard I/O when you try to boot? 

This 

I5 4470     -     Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo    -    Asus Strix GTX960    -    12Gb ram    -    Adata SP600 128Gb    -    Seagate 2Tb    -    AsRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer    -    Seasonic M12II EVO 520        

IN WIN 703    -     Dell P2414H    -    LG Flatron M197WDP    -    CMSTORM Quickfire XT with MX blue's    -    Logitech  G502

"To finish first, you first have to finish"

Which tool did you use to make the usb tool? I recommend using the windows 7 USB creation tool from the microsoft website. But indeed it can fail making the bootable usb. You could also try another usb stick.

For making a Bootable USB installer for Windows,  I find Rufus is one of the fastest and easiest ways.

And yeah, as was said before make sure when you install your GPU: remember to properly power it from the PSU (should be two 6 pin PCIE connectors) and move your HDMI (or DVI) cable to one of the card outputs.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Fake Dragonite i installed the hdmi into the GPU when trying to boot and i got no signal on my monitor, i tried two diffrent hdmi cables just to make sure that it was not a problem with one of them. but when i remove the GPU and plug hdmi into the mobo i get a picture and can access bios.

Also if anyone could get me a link to a download for windows 8.1 that would be awesome, i would like to try and boot with windows and install drivers for the GPU and see if it works after that.

2 hours ago, Fake Dragonite said:

Fake Dragonite i installed the hdmi into the GPU when trying to boot and i got no signal on my monitor, i tried two diffrent hdmi cables just to make sure that it was not a problem with one of them. but when i remove the GPU and plug hdmi into the mobo i get a picture and can access bios.

Hmm... Did you follow Apollo's suggestion and make sure that your pci-e power cables were plugged into the card? If so, all you can really do is try reseating the card or try a different pci-e x16 slot. After that, unless you have a buddy that can test the card for you, ou are stuck trying an RMA. 

Oh, another thing to note. Have you done a BIOS update yet? A lot of UEFIs will let you do one from their network tabs instead of having to be booted into an OS. That might fix your issue as well. 

35 minutes ago, Fake Dragonite said:

Oh, another thing to note. Have you done a BIOS update yet? A lot of UEFIs will let you do one from their network tabs instead of having to be booted into an OS. That might fix your issue as well. 

Im going to take my hardrive and GPU to a buddys house tonight, He said he can load the OS directly to my hardrive and then ill put my GPU in his computer and see if it will work. I will keep you posted, Im hoping it is as simply as updating the mobo and everything works.