AMD releases new low power mobile APU

Andrew48

According to the article:

SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwired - Sep 11, 2013) - AMD (NYSEAMD) today announced a new addition to its 2013 Elite Mobility processor family, expanding the options available for anyone seeking crystal-clear HD entertainment, power efficiency, and accelerated performance in small screen touch notebooks, tablets, and hybrids. The AMD Elite Quad-Core A4-1350 accelerated processor is the second quad-core accelerated processing pnit (APU) in this category, with an estimated average power at or below 3 watts for many common use cases. The new APU is expected to begin shipping to customers in October, 2013. Other AMD Elite Mobility APUs are available in systems today, including the HP Pavilion11 TouchSmart and the Acer Aspire V5.

Delivering high-quality HD media and gaming experiences in small-screen touch and emerging form factors elevates AMD Elite Mobility APUs to a class of their own. Available in dual- and quad-core configurations, the series combines "Jaguar" x86 central processing unit (CPU) cores with Graphics Core Next AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series graphics. Key performance metrics for the AMD Elite Mobility family include:

• Up to 172 percent more CPU performance-per-watt and up to 212 percent better graphics performance-per-watt than the previous generation;
  • Up to 12 hours of resting battery life;
  • Up to 45 percent longer battery life and nearly five times more GPU performance than the competition.

The most interesting thing for me here is that this is a quad core-cpu and a low-end GPU with a total TDP of 8 Watts. Thats crazy!

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/amd-expands-elite-mobility-apu-line-up-with-new-quad-core-processor-nyse-amd-1829405.htm

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

If 8 watts is the true TPD, this might be pretty good. Although, low TPD and AMD together kinda seems like a contradictory statement. 

Back from the dead....

The only question I have is how much better is it than an AMD E-450. Because I absolutely hate that chip.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1Ghz that's cute.

Did you expect anything more?  Remember I7's used to be 1.4-1.7GHz in the mobile world.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

The only question I have is how much better is it than an AMD E-450. Because I absolutely hate that chip.

Probably like a E-350... which is fine... when using Win XP.  :rolleyes: 

Did you expect anything more?  Remember I7's used to be 1.4-1.7GHz in the mobile world.

Except an i7, i5... hell and i3 too at the same speed will be faster.  Single threaded operations are horrible, and graphics is ram speed dependent.  These thing will just be comparable to an atom processor.

My Rigs (past and present)