about to buy, final build (infrastructure only) comments please.

To start with I know that I am way overpaying for the performance I will get out of this and that I could balance in other directions and get allot more silence without  "waste" on the led lighted fans (the non led version are more expensive, but the waste is the sound dampening ;P). I decided a while back that when I get a chance I will put my system into a Pretty Pretty Princess machine. While at first this system will be a dark lord, it will always have the light of good on the inside ;D

To begin I am going with the Corsair Carbide series 330r blackout. CC-9011076-WW:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R0ZHWC2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_9&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Now I realize that the 330r is a budget class case, as such for example it doesn't have the cable management hole grommets. The obsidian series grommets from all indications on forums fit the 300r and 330r just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJZID48?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A1YAK8U7QV5H1E

I want to toss in some fans and lights just to start off before I get more drastic next year, and since a theme in brand is likely to match well, and a theme with a brand will match even better than usual after modding. Long before the fans, but long after i had chosen my case, i have been shuffling this idea around for over half a year; sticking to a brand was only the last month or so a certainty, of course i went with corsair af and sp fans:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L64NYL6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_11&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER 120mm 2 pack high static pressure for the aio cooler i am using.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6S0XK8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_12&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER 140mm high air flow for the front, i am buying two of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6S13SO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_7&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER 120mm high air flow for the rear.

If I am doing an infrastructure upgrade, and you WILL see how bad I need one, I also need a badass psu within reason. I initially had a very nice and awesome evga psu in this build, it is actually a better psu in my opinion:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Continuous-Warranty-120-G1-0650-XR/dp/B00K85X2AW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456198585&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+650

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Supply-220-G2-0650-Y1/dp/B0106RDIN2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456198628&sr=8-3&keywords=evga+650

As I normally do though I went back over what was available over the time I have been thinking about this project, and decided that sticking to the brand would yield me an excellent psu with some unique features at a slightly higher price with a slightly smaller warranty:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YPNSQTU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_13&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

For my cooler I went h100i gtx:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SV7IEJI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_17&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I also needed storage upgrades, which I consider a part of a system's infrastructure; not it's performance. I went with a couple cheap 3tb drives, I'm going to run them in raid 1 and consider it a good value for moderate data protection for the mass data i collect that only has value in the effort of re-collecting it, (also known as a steam drive):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRLY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_16&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

My intention with this build is only to take an existing base build in a horrible environment and use it until next year when i plan on a platform shift. this build is all about infrastructure, nothing in this build touches on actual hardware performance potential, it is all about allowing that potential the overhead to grow without much pain ;P

Anyway I hope folk actually check out and comment about the parts in this build. I really could use some constructive negatives.

no offense but uhm can you use PCPP? this hurts my eyes 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

1 minute ago, Mohenjo said:

no offense but uhm can you use PCPP? this hurts my eyes 

sorry, i posted without a proof read and i type without caps. repairing now.

21 minutes ago, kght22 said:

my intention with this build is only to take an existing base build in a horrible environment and use it until next year when i plan on a platform shift. this build is all about infrastructure, nothing in this build touches on actual hardware performance potential, it is all about allowing that potential the overhead to grow without much pain ;P

So you plan to upgrade to a new platform next year? I didn't look through all the links (Seriously, I know people said it already, but PCPP so hard) but it looks like you have no CPU or actually functionally parts. If that's what you meant by infrastructure, why not just wait and buy the parts when they go on sale. Or just get it later when there might be something better out. I highly doubt anything will be either gone or without an alternative by the time you build.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

12 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

So you plan to upgrade to a new platform next year? I didn't look through all the links (Seriously, I know people said it already, but PCPP so hard) but it looks like you have no CPU or actually functionally parts. If that's what you meant by infrastructure, why not just wait and buy the parts when they go on sale. Or just get it later when there might be something better out. I highly doubt anything will be either gone or without an alternative by the time you build.

this:

IMG_20160222_2227348_rewind.jpg

1 minute ago, kght22 said:

this:

IMG_20160222_2227348_rewind.jpg

I... I don't understand. A bunch of computer stuffs?

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

15 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

btw, i am building the infrastructure, which costs by my amazon cart about 600 bucks to handle the 9-1200 bucks i intend to dump next year into just motherboard, proc, and memory. the year after that i plan to dump a ton into graphics. this computer case is from 2001. i continuously upgrade a single computer while i use other computers as peripheral devices. my infrastructure is over a decade old. i need to upgrade it. do you maybe get where i am coming from now?

Just now, kght22 said:

btw, i am building the infrastructure, which costs by my amazon cart about 600 bucks to handle the 9-1200 bucks i intend to dump next year into just motherboard, proc, and memory. the year after that i plan to dump a ton into graphics. this computer case is from 2001. i continuously upgrade a single computer while i use other computers as peripheral devices. my infrastructure is over a decade old. i need to upgrade it. do you maybe get where i am coming from now?

Oh, got it. But why do you have to buy the case and PSU and all that now instead of with the system? You're only potentially constricting yourself in the future when you build the actual computer.

7 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

I... I don't understand. A bunch of computer stuffs?

the silver one is my computer.

athlon fx 8350

16gb ddr3 1600

gtx 960

two 512gb hdds in raid 1 just holding it down on some semi stable redundancy (all raid is semi-stable, that isn't a statement on my drives)

a busted 1tb serving as mass storage (that grey taped wart on the top with wires)

and two 120gb ssdnow 300 (good version) ssds in raid 1.

that is my computer. that is why i am doing this upgrade. not because the platform is good (it does the job) but because the infrastructure is over a decade old.

Just now, kght22 said:

the silver one is my computer.

athlon fx 6350

16gb ddr3 1600

gtx 960

two 512gb hdds in raid 1 just holding it down on some semi stable redundancy (all raid is semi-stable, that isn't a statement on my drives)

a busted 1tb serving as mass storage (that grey taped wart on the top with wires)

and two 120gb ssdnow 300 (good version) ssds in raid 1.

that is my computer. that is why i am doing this upgrade. not because the platform is good (it does the job) but because the infrastructure is over a decade old.

So you want to put your current decent system into a better looking case and get a better PSU for it and fans and all that and then build a new system next year?

Just now, Ryoutarou97 said:

So you want to put your current decent system into a better looking case and get a better PSU for it and fans and all that and then build a new system next year?

i never view it that way, i have a continuous line of hardware from 1999 with my computers, i even transitioned from at to atx with minimal hardware changes. i am asking on this forum about issues with my hardware choices and them working together allot more than i am curious about upgrade philosophy.

Just now, kght22 said:

i never view it that way, i have a continuous line of hardware from 1999 with my computers, i even transitioned from at to atx with minimal hardware changes. i am asking on this forum about issues with my hardware choices and them working together allot more than i am curious about upgrade philosophy.

So what do you want from me? That sounds kind of hostile, but I just don't know how to phrase it. Not intending to be offensive. A compatibility check on the parts above? An EVGA GS PSU will work in that case, and fans will plug into pretty much any mobo so those are all fine. 

26 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

So what do you want from me? That sounds kind of hostile, but I just don't know how to phrase it. Not intending to be offensive. A compatibility check on the parts above? An EVGA GS PSU will work in that case, and fans will plug into pretty much any mobo so those are all fine. 

sorry, took me a while to rebound from being called hostile. nah man, i just progressively build my personal machine because it works best when you don't have much money. i have had a bit more money the last year or so and i expect around the same next year, but right now i just need a clean computer with an infrastructure that is ready to handle whatever platform i throw at it next. i don't know if i go amd or intel next year, although while i love amd and have used amd procs for decades i have of course had my share of intel procs too and unless amd really get's their ass in gear i'll be going mid range intel next year (maybe 6500k or 6700k), but my whole idea with this build is to go overkill for anything that i might use because like my previous infrastructure i hope it lasts a long time. i know the aio is finite (maybe 2 years, 3 at most) but the other parts i hope to last 5-10 years. and i am trying to ask an audience of pc enthusiasts whether the parts i have chosen are good options for: infrastructure. good infrastructure needs to last, it should certainly outlast all of the active parts in your computer.

Just now, kght22 said:

sorry, took me a while to rebound from being called hostile. nah man, i just progressively build my personal machine because it works best when you don't have much money. i have had a bit more money the last year or so and i expect around the same next year, but right now i just need a clean computer with an infrastructure that is ready to handle whatever platform i throw at it next. i don't know if i go amd or intel next year, although while i love amd and have used amd procs for decades i have of course had my share of intel procs too and unless amd really get's their ass in gear i'll be going mid range intel next year (maybe 9500 or 6700k), but my whole idea with this build is to go overkill for anything that i might use because like my previous infrastructure i hope it lasts a long time. i know the aio is finite (maybe 2 years, 3 at most) but the other parts i hope to last 5-10 years. and i am trying to ask an audience of pc enthusiasts whether the parts i have chosen are good options for: infrastructure. good infrastructure needs to last, it should certainly outlast all of the active parts in your computer.

I meant that my first question sounded hostile, sorry. I didn't mean you were, I just didn't really know how to ask what you wanted. If it's for infrastructure I don't really see any problems. EVGA PSU are good and should last. Are you going to run the AIO in push/pull? Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it comes with fans. And speaking of fans I would go with noctuas. Since the case has no window, there's no reason not to go for the gold (brown) standard. They might even be cheaper than Corsair's fans and are for sure better. Otherwise I think it's all good.

52 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:
34 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

I meant that my first question sounded hostile, sorry. I didn't mean you were, I just didn't really know how to ask what you wanted. If it's for infrastructure I don't really see any problems. EVGA PSU are good and should last. Are you going to run the AIO in push/pull? Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it comes with fans. And speaking of fans I would go with noctuas. Since the case has no window, there's no reason not to go for the gold (brown) standard. They might even be cheaper than Corsair's fans and are for sure better. Otherwise I think it's all good.

i have the led fans because i can buy case doors for the 330r and i own a few pretty nice pieces of lightly tinted (one i think is not tempered) glass. if i can cut the untempered one i am going to put a glass window in, if i can't i'll see about buying a window that will fit while shoving a chunk of acrylic with a middle finger airbrushed on it in to hold the space (not likely, might be fun but i am going to buy extra side panels for a reason).

i have the led fans because i can buy case doors for the 330r and i own a few pretty nice pieces of lightly tinted (one i think is not tempered) glass. if i can cut the untempered one i am going to put a glass window in, if i can't i'll see about buying a window that will fit while shoving a chunk of acrylic with a middle finger airbrushed on it in to hold the space (not likely, might be fun but i am going to buy extra side panels for a reason)

• 1 month later...

meh, i went with a 450d door on the 330r case, haven't got the led fans and other bits in yet, don't have the psu either. the hdd on top of the computer in the image shared now has a cable soldered to it and is inside my 330r, it likely won't remain there because i intend to get some round sata cables and train them with zip ties (btw, the difference between a zip tie and a zap strap on amazon is about 5 bucks per hundred ties on amazon, that is why the zip tie is superior linus, they are called zip ties and if you want to buy zap straps you pay extra for nothing, might as well buy apple). although i am not sure about round sata cables, seems like some decent flat black (both color and shape) sata cables might be a better idea even though i love the idea of round ones, and if i go with flat cables i can keep my crappy 1tb sata drive because locating the pins will be easy to resolder a cable on, while a round cable would be a pain for me and cause me to buy a new tool (i really need a ohm meter anyway though) in order to cable the broken drive that i would like to keep for scrap data correctly. i went with the dual 3tb in raid 1 for my redundant, although of course my important data is as it should be backed up very far from me, and the most important data that i have is so many places on the internet at this point that i would be amazed to lose it. 

at this point i am wondering about fan controllers. i currently have cpu fans hooked up to the case fan controller on the 330r and my case fans hooked up to various system fan slots on my board with only the h100i pump hooked up to the cpu fan header.

i am curious: how many fans can i reliably hook up to a built in case fan controller like the one in the 330r. it is wired for two, could i split those do you think? and could i split one of them twice? (i ultimately plan to have 6 case fans, 2  140s in the front, 2 120s at the top on a rad, 1 120 in the rear, and 1 120 hanging from the 5.25 bays in the middle across the video and at the moment chipset, but primarily to make sure more fresh air reaches the vrm. 

i plan to go uniform on all of my fans, and i do notice my front fans and rear fans ramping up because they are connected to my really unfriendly motherboard ga-970a-ds3p (i am doing a platform upgrade next year remember, i am running this on somewhat dated and not exactly "gamer" hardware) maybe someone can let me know if gigabytes software is good enough now for me to regulate the fan speeds on it's system headers reliably (i haven't tried in quite some time to use gigabyte's software to maintain a set rpm, but i have never had success with removing the speed ramp up either) but on the h100i running the fans that came with it on the controller that came with the corsair 330r at the lowest setting i have never even hit 65c in normal operation on an fx-8350, although my vrm is nearly hot enough to start a fire and even the chipset is burning hot, the h100i block stays at worst body temperature and usually cool to the touch (part of why a 120mm fan is hanging from the 5.25 bays inside, i felt that my board needed more air, no more air cooler to help it out. 

but hell, i'm insane. looks like this right now and if you see anything inside funky keep in mind that i am just shoving my computer into it right now and i have every intention of finalizing the build. when i am finally done i will stop taking pictures with my kindle potato. chuckle, i tried to move that ashtray, i moved it right into the picture =P.IMG_20160406_2015456_rewind.jpg

btw, no, i will not use pc part picker. where on pc part picker can i without customizing add my 450d door with a window, or the 350d grommets that i bought for the holes in my 330r motherboard tray, and how the fuck would you even know what those are if i did custom add them. i happen to not be lazy.

i would also like to add that pc part picker would have just linked to the things that i initially linked, because i used pc part picker for it's role, a tool to help locate prices on parts that i want.

EDIT: if you need pc part picker to understand what was in my initial list of parts you are not a valid commenter on this thread beyond aesthetics. i mean really, do you let pc part picker decide crap for you?

5 minutes ago, kght22 said:

i would also like to add that pc part picker would have just linked to the things that i initially linked, because i used pc part picker for it's role, a tool to help locate prices on parts that i want.

EDIT: if you need pc part picker to understand what was in my initial list of parts you are not a valid commenter on this thread beyond aesthetics. i mean really, do you let pc part picker decide crap for you?

It's perfectly possible to look through all the links, but PCPartPicker makes everything much neater and concise. Some things may not be able to be added on PCPartPicker, but that's when you start using the link method

1 minute ago, lolpwnd31 said:

It's perfectly possible to look through all the links, but PCPartPicker makes everything much neater and concise. Some things may not be able to be added on PCPartPicker, but that's when you start using the link method

no friend, you compose your own comment or article. you use tools for resources.

Just now, kght22 said:

no friend, you compose your own comment or article. you use tools for resources.

Just my own opinion. I just think that a link to PCPartPicker makes everything a lot easier to look at. Also, if you're able to use a tool for something other than resources, why not?

2 minutes ago, lolpwnd31 said:

at the time when i started this thread i was just asking about other people's experiences with the parts that i listed

i fully listed them, and gave a link to good details about them.

i am now asking about fan controllers, can i use the onboard 330r fan controller to run 6 fans (2 are 140mm the rest 120) or should i invest in an actual fan controller.

2 minutes ago, lolpwnd31 said:

Just my own opinion. I just think that a link to PCPartPicker makes everything a lot easier to look at. Also, if you're able to use a tool for something other than resources, why not?

if it makes it easier that is MY failing, not pc part picker being excellent. 

14 minutes ago, lolpwnd31 said:

i have no idea how to explain to you that writing your own article is a little more useful than supplying a link to a tool that you used. clearly in this case it isn't more useful because it hasn't inspired anyone to ask anything beyond the question as to why i had got led fans on a case that comes without a window. but in truth pc part picker would not have helped with that beyond me making an entry that states "450d left window 20 bucks". are you interested in having conversations on this forum, or are you interested in asking about random entries on a pc part picker list. ask actual questions about the system. for example "what will you be running?" i actually don't know, next year i plan to drop 900-1200 into motherboard and proc (i have no ddr4 so that will also be in the mix), it is my next upgrade step and i feel like i want to go hard. but before that i want to take that silver case that you can see at the start of this little thread and change to something that has actual modern cooling potential (once i got my hyper t4 cooler my side pannel would neverfit on again, or let alone the idea of installing an aio cooler, what do i do, hang it out the side of the case?) i had to upgrade my primary system's infrastructure to even handle what i plan to throw at it next year, and i figure 400-600 bucks would let me build an infrastructure that will handle the modern atx standard until it isn't a standard anymore, and i can toss any platform i want at it next year. but to make it even more simple, i want YOUR interest. that is why there are foggy images. and no, you won't get a pc part picker link because pc part picker is about as valid as my nut sack.