Silence will be Bliss!

iDeJayDzn

So im looking to silence or dampen my computer. Im running 4 Corsair AF120's and 2 Noctua NF-12's. noctuas on Rad and the Corsair fans on my case. 2 on the mesh, one in the front and one in the back. Front and side Corsair fans are at half speed and the rear at full. They dont seem to be the problem. However my GPU and Noctua fans seem to be. My GPU fans are at 40% and giving off slight noise. Any higher then its really loud and noticeable and any lower the card tends to reach about 50-60 degrees celcius at idle. With the fans at 40% it remains at around 30-40, mainly about 34. My Noctuas i have to also keep pretty low at 1200rpm as any higher and they are also loud as hell at full speed. Therefore im having to compensate not only cooling but noise distrubution through my case and room because of the noctuas and GPU.

However, im looking for the best cooling i can without making a full loop whilst maintaining noise levels to a pretty low level. My case at the moment is an Orange and Black Phantom. If theres any possible way for my to help improve the noise dampening them please can someone let me know. If not then it looks like a new case might be needed. If a new case isnt needed then what mods can i use to improve the noise levels along with making sure that i still have decent airflow throughout the case.

I wont go on any longer as you can probably get the jist of what im looking for. I just want to make sure my PC is cool and not producing loads of heat whilst keeping it pretty quiet. 

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

What cooler are you running? It might have a very high fin density, meaning the Noctua's would make a lot of noise as the air is disturbed, pushed through the tight space. As for gpu, have you tried making a fan ramp in MSI Afterburner or EVGA Percision X?

I like good humans and good food

Just now, colinreay said:

What cooler are you running? It might have a very high fin density, meaning the Noctua's would make a lot of noise as the air is disturbed, pushed through the tight space. As for gpu, have you tried making a fan ramp in MSI Afterburner or EVGA Percision X?

Corsair H100i AIO rad with the Noctuas on top pulling air out of the case and i cant control the GPU fans even with a fan ramp as as soon as a game hit it goes up to 80 and then at idle drops to 30 almost immediatly but the fans are always at 40%. Lower than that then it tends to rise to 60 and i dont even wanna know what it gets to under games then. Although a fan curve might help i think a new case is needed as the phantom has too many air pockets open. 

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

A new case won't help much. you need to get those rpms reeeaaally low. the WD Red is one if not the most quiet hdd you can get from what i've read so thats good. but I would try to remove the cooler from the gpu and reseat it with just a little thermal paste so you get really good temps and can get the speed of the gpu down too. 
I, myself, use only ssds and run only 3 of my 5 bequiet 140mm shadow wings at around 700rpm. It is just barely audible when getting close with the ear. 
What makes the most noise is the gpu. 
If reseating the cooler does not help at all you could try an all in one watercooler mount for the 970 or an aftermarket aircooler like the mk26 wich would probably be even more quiet.

big fans + low speed + little resistance (or big distance to mesh ect.) + only a few fans + low rpm hdd (like the one you got) = fucking silence <3

I hope that helped

wow... pretty empty here...

1 hour ago, das affe said:

A new case won't help much. you need to get those rpms reeeaaally low. the WD Red is one if not the most quiet hdd you can get from what i've read so thats good. but I would try to remove the cooler from the gpu and reseat it with just a little thermal paste so you get really good temps and can get the speed of the gpu down too. 
I, myself, use only ssds and run only 3 of my 5 bequiet 140mm shadow wings at around 700rpm. It is just barely audible when getting close with the ear. 
What makes the most noise is the gpu. 
If reseating the cooler does not help at all you could try an all in one watercooler mount for the 970 or an aftermarket aircooler like the mk26 wich would probably be even more quiet.

big fans + low speed + little resistance (or big distance to mesh ect.) + only a few fans + low rpm hdd (like the one you got) = fucking silence <3

I hope that helped

The MK26 looks too wide to fit in any case imo although i might just get one of those hybrid cards when the next line of 80tis come out to help reduce noise. Only thing i can really thing of doing for the GPU apart from an entire loop which would cost me even more. I'll try reseat the thermal paste at some point later this week and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice!

43 minutes ago, iDeJayDzn said:

The MK26 looks too wide to fit in any case imo although i might just get one of those hybrid cards when the next line of 80tis come out to help reduce noise. Only thing i can really thing of doing for the GPU apart from an entire loop which would cost me even more. I'll try reseat the thermal paste at some point later this week and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice!

I would definately give it a try :) heres another popular cooler that may or may not fit your case but definately does it's job quietly http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Arctic-Accelero-Xtreme-III-Aktiv_797117.html

19 minutes ago, das affe said:

I would definately give it a try :) heres another popular cooler that may or may not fit your case but definately does it's job quietly http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Arctic-Accelero-Xtreme-III-Aktiv_797117.html

I notice theres a Hybrid cooler by EVGA for the 970 980 etc. Although, They sell them all solo apart from the 970 version. Do you know where i could get the hybrid cooler from for the 970? Then i could just have that aio attatched too it with the rad on the back of the case

9 hours ago, iDeJayDzn said:

I notice theres a Hybrid cooler by EVGA for the 970 980 etc. Although, They sell them all solo apart from the 970 version. Do you know where i could get the hybrid cooler from for the 970? Then i could just have that aio attatched too it with the rad on the back of the case

where do you live? just search for it. i can't really help you with that. you can get the shroud (for the 980/ti)from evga's website but the rest is not that widely spread (atleast in germany). there are other solutions like the nzxt kraken g10 wich takes the most asetech coolers such as corsair h100 (the ones with the circular base)

1 hour ago, das affe said:

where do you live? just search for it. i can't really help you with that. you can get the shroud (for the 980/ti)from evga's website but the rest is not that widely spread (atleast in germany). there are other solutions like the nzxt kraken g10 wich takes the most asetech coolers such as corsair h100 (the ones with the circular base)

UK. I have a h100i on my CPU but thinking a single 120mm fan and rad mount for the 970 GPU would also be my best option. If not then i'll just wait to try get a 1080ti Hybrid or whatever they end up calling the next line of cards.

8 minutes ago, iDeJayDzn said:

UK. I have a h100i on my CPU but thinking a single 120mm fan and rad mount for the 970 GPU would also be my best option. If not then i'll just wait to try get a 1080ti Hybrid or whatever they end up calling the next line of cards.

I think that a g10 would be your best bet and a smaller single rad setup for cpu as it puts out half the heat