Suggestions for slim cameras plz

Jonathan W

So for my mom's birthday she agreed to look at cameras with me, but I don't know dick about real cameras, only smartphone cameras. Granted I dont imagine there's a world of difference but anyways these are her basic requirements (subject to change at any time, she's picky):

-slim as a possible (she's a diabetic and carries a lot of stuff already So smaller is better)

-great image processing (one of the most annoying things is zooming in on a faraway shot and it looking like poop. Her HTC 1M8 has this problem with super grainy photos at its max 4x zoom although my LG G4 looks good even at 8x zoom)

-high accidentproof rating (protection from drops, spills, underwater capability etc is always a plus, this will be a vacation camera afterall)

-doesn't rely on big lenses for a great picture (camera lenses that cost more and are bigger than the camera itself boggle my mind and won't be purchased)

-price (keep cost/performance rations in mind please) she won't use a lot of fancy software features so paying for them is pointless

She's not an avid shutterbug like me, meaning fine settings are less important to her (like the G4s manual shot mode) 

The camera needs to be able to shoot high quality, balanced shots even without playing with all the settings mid-shot

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

Just now, mikat said:

max budget?

I'm not good at judging the value of things (not a good price is right contestant lol) So I guess right around 500?

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

1 minute ago, Stupidtiggers said:

I mean the Sony RX100 family is great, but it sounds like she wants a cheap shooter thats small and decent not as expensive as the RX100

No that's actually a great price range

Project Hephaestus

3 hours ago, Jonathan W said:

I dont imagine there's a world of difference

If you just look at the final image, it might be that there aren't any major difference.  But there are differences in what the camera is capable of achieving.

A nice point and shoot camera will suit her just fine.  But if you want one with a long zoom lens, most likely it won't be as "tough" or "proof" compared to this camera (Olympus tough) which has a shorter zoom but is waterproof, shockproof, fire proof, etc. to a certain degree.

If your mother only needs a camera for snapshots, save yourself a lot of cash and get a nice point&shoot camera.  Having to deal with interchangeable lens camera systems might not be her thing.  If you go and buy her a camera with more advanced features than what she requires, you're throwing away money and the camera's potential is being wasted.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

If you were looking for small mirrorless cameras, the GM1/5 would be good choices and can be found at affordable prices online, and also provide a bigger sensor compared to most compacts plus giving you guys the flexibility if you ever wanted to change lenses.

But if you are not looking for any of these and just want a simple point and shoot and don't mind the fixed lens of a compact, then I suggest the RX100 family, as it is a extremely versatile camera and tends to be very user friendly .

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

On 2/23/2016 at 5:38 AM, captainlolz7 said:

On 2/22/2016 at 6:04 PM, ALwin said:

On 2/22/2016 at 2:18 PM, ONOTech said:

On 2/22/2016 at 2:14 PM, mikat said:

So a few people have mentioned the Olympus Tough camera. I like it but i think it is probably a bit much for her..shes not super adventurous all the time. I mentioned splash and drop proof because we, as a family, go on tropical cruises a lot [just went on a 6 day Caribbean cruise this year for instance] and so the camera might get splashed if its by the pool onboard or hit by sea spray/ocean air..little stuff like that, i HIGHLY doubt that she would take it underwater for snorkeling or something like that, but she might...yeah a

- good point and shoot camera

- decently long zoom [higher than 4x] that doesnt give a grainy picture

- no extra lenses required

- under $500USD

- at least as weatherproof as any modern smartphone

Project Hephaestus

12 minutes ago, Jonathan W said:

snip

Visit B&H's website, look for a camera you like within the budget.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer