Dual-channel is faster, right?

Go to solution Solved by MageTank,
2 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

I have the choice of 1x 4gb 1600 Mhz CL11 and 2x 2GB 1600 Mhz CL11 memory modules. Shouldn't I use the 2+2 then instead of the single 4 gb?

Dual channel has twice the peak theoretical bandwidth of single channel. Quad channel has four times the peak theoretical bandwidth of single channel, and twice the peak theoretical bandwidth of dual channel. However, as you add more channels, efficiency decreases. With single channel being the most efficient (being able to hit its rated bandwidth nearly perfectly) dual and quad channel struggle to do so. My dual channel configuration, when heavily tweaked in every single timing, is only 98% efficient (I can hit 98% of my peak theoretical bandwidth) and quad channel tends to fall even shorter, topping out at around 95% efficiency.

In your specific case, dual channel with 2+2 would be a good idea, if you do not need more than 4GB of ram. Both are single rank, so you do not have the choice between Rank Interleaving and not, like you would if you were comparing 4GB vs 8GB. 

I have the choice of 1x 4gb 1600 Mhz CL11 and 2x 2GB 1600 Mhz CL11 memory modules. Shouldn't I use the 2+2 then instead of the single 4 gb?

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

sure, but not enough to notice a difference.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

yes

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600 MHz Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Case: NZXT H440 White 

4gb isn't really much... Are you on a 32-bit OS? I would go 2x4gb at least. Getting 2 sticks of 2gb ram leaves you with less upgrade room in the future.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

2 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

Dual channel has twice the peak theoretical bandwidth of single channel. Quad channel has four times the peak theoretical bandwidth of single channel, and twice the peak theoretical bandwidth of dual channel. However, as you add more channels, efficiency decreases. With single channel being the most efficient (being able to hit its rated bandwidth nearly perfectly) dual and quad channel struggle to do so. My dual channel configuration, when heavily tweaked in every single timing, is only 98% efficient (I can hit 98% of my peak theoretical bandwidth) and quad channel tends to fall even shorter, topping out at around 95% efficiency.

In your specific case, dual channel with 2+2 would be a good idea, if you do not need more than 4GB of ram. Both are single rank, so you do not have the choice between Rank Interleaving and not, like you would if you were comparing 4GB vs 8GB. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Thanks for your replies guys!

3 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

4gb isn't really much... Are you on a 32-bit OS? I would go 2x4gb at least. Getting 2 sticks of 2gb ram leaves you with less upgrade room in the future.

That wasn't the question. Purpose is to run a small computer with linux for my parents everyday use. I'm rather sure they won't require more than 4 gb of RAM considering my old laptop with Win7 and only 4 GB ram can handle most things I need to be done, even some light gaming (like even battles in Total War: Rome).

At my University we had a 3Ghz hexacore AMD running win 7 with only 2 gb ram. THAT was not enough I can tell you. :P

Spoiler

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

Just now, Mortis Angelus said:

Thanks for your replies guys!

That wasn't the question. Purpose is to run a small computer with linux for my parents everyday use. I'm rather sure they won't require more than 4 gb of RAM considering my old laptop with Win7 and only 4 GB ram can handle most things I need to be done, even some light gaming (like even battles in Total War: Rome).

At my University we had a 3Ghz hexacore AMD running win 7 with only 2 gb ram. THAT was not enough I can tell you. :P

I can understand that but a browser can easily eat up that memory. Since memory is so cheap I thought I would recommend going with 8gb instead unless of course you were on a 32-bit OS. GL.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

14 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

I can understand that but a browser can easily eat up that memory. Since memory is so cheap I thought I would recommend going with 8gb instead unless of course you were on a 32-bit OS. GL.

Thanks for the concern. :P But considering I currently have Spotify, Steam, Logitech Gaming Software, Cooler Master Keyboard driver, Dropbox, Uplay, Spyder Elite Calibration Software, overwolf, Norton Antivirus, and mozilla with 9 tabs open running now on my windows 7 machine and I only pull 3.4 - 3.5 Gb of memory I don't think it will be an issue for my parents. Especially since Linux (should) uses even less resources. My parents are not that heavy on multi-tasking. ^-^

Spoiler