Pc for about 1000€ (~1300$) for a friend

Mario-

Hey LTT Community, I just wanted to ask for some help with a PC for my friend ^-^

I'm going to write the components down below and ask some questions inbetween. (Prices in €)

Budget and Location:

1000€ (1300$) & I'm shopping at hardwareversand (a German store)

Aim:

Gaming (Tomb Raider + Far cry 3 and newer games)

No OS needed (already has Windows 7)

Monitors:

He will play on one Monitor.

Peripherals:

Also no keyboard or mouse needed

Why does he upgrade?

Because he has a 5 year old PC that has trouble running Team fortress 2.

Data Drive: Toshiba DT01ACA 2TB (~72€)

SSD:           Samsung SSD 840 Pro (~113€)

CPU:           Intel i5-3350P/3570k (150€/195€) <- Not sure about that, he only plays games and doesn't do anything else really, but you know, I could OC it ^-^"

PSU:           be quiet! Straight Power E9 450W (70€)

MoBo:         ASRock H77M/Z77M (~60/70€) Depends on what CPU I choose

Cooler:       Thermalright HR-02 Macho (36€) <-- also not sure about that, it may be a bit too hogh for the Prodigy M

Optical:       optical drive (~15€)

Graphics:    HIS HD 7950 (~220€) <- maybe an other brand with better cooling? (+ he really wants the never settle games)
Case:          BitFenix Prodigy M (~80€)

RAM:           Corsair ValueSelect DIMM 8GB (~57€)

Overall: 873/928€ + 10€ for shipping

Thanks in advance for the help guys! ^-^

Also: this is going to be my first Build Log ever :3

Bye~

PS: The first one who really helps me with this build is going to get a Medal of Honor Origin key, if he wants it ^-^

Does it work for Europe too?

Because some parts (eg the be quiet! PSU) don't exist on this site o:

Hi, 

First off, please read this and then edit your post with the information that you can give us. 

Where are you shopping? Any prefered stores? Does he need an OS? Wich one does he prefer? 

I think he would be better off with an AMD cpu and motherboard, then spend the money that you safe from that on a 7970. 

But just reply with more information and people will help you!

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Hi, 

First off, please read this and then edit your post with the information that you can give us. 

Where are you shopping? Any prefered stores? Does he need an OS? Wich one does he prefer? 

I think he would be better off with an AMD cpu and motherboard, then spend the money that you safe from that on a 7970. 

But just reply with more information and people will help you!

I'm shopping at hardwareversand (a German store)

No OS needed

Also no Keyboard or mouse needed

Well, I don't know about an AMD CPU, since he wants the Prodigy M and there anren't many mAtx AM3+ boards out there

I'm shopping at hardwareversand (a German store)

No OS needed

Also no Keyboard or mouse needed

Well, I don't know about an AMD CPU, since he wants the Prodigy M and there anren't many mAtx AM3+ boards out there

Does he need a monitor? If not, what is the current monitor that he is using? Model nr would be great! 

Thanks for editing the post, did not see first, much better now!

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

The only thing i would have changed with the build is get a better gpu, so he's set for the "future" so to speak.

Also, get an ASUS DCII, MSI TwinFrozr or Gigabyte Windforce GPU's they cool a lot better then reference design and they look pretty slick too!

Check this one out: http://www.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/104709/Special+item%3A+Gigabyte+Radeon+HD+7970+WindForce+3X%2C+3GB+GDDR5%2C+PCI-Express.article

I've heard the cooler is excellent and it looks pretty nice ;)

Also if the budget is good enough change the cooler to something Noctua. If he doesn't like how it looks like then get new fans or something^^

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

He's using a 24' 1080p monitor with a TN panel, I can't ask him right now, sorry, it's late here in Austria.

He planning to get a new one though (probably also 1080p ~24' but with IPS).

The only thing i would have changed with the build is get a better gpu, so he's set for the "future" so to speak.

Also, get an ASUS DCII, MSI TwinFrozr or Gigabyte Windforce GPU's they cool a lot better then reference design and they look pretty slick too!

Check this one out: http://www.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/104709/Special+item%3A+Gigabyte+Radeon+HD+7970+WindForce+3X%2C+3GB+GDDR5%2C+PCI-Express.article

I've heard the cooler is excellent and it looks pretty nice ;)

That Gigabyte card sure Loks Good :3

I'll look into that ^-^

Sorry for the double post

That Gigabyte card sure Loks Good :3

I'll look into that ^-^

Also as i added to the post now is that you should change the cpu cooler to something Noctua (If you use the 3570k) ;)

Google translate works perfectly on the site xD

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

If it fits in the Case and in the budget, a noctua cooler would be really cool, since it's from a company in my country :3

He doesn't really care about the looks inside.

Oke, I have set a build here with haswell. Uhm, I can change the cooler to noctua for you, give me a second. 

Edit, im stupid - I need to go back to the board - i forgot the SSD haha.. When i was putting down my list, I felt something missing. 

Take your time, i have to sleep anyways, so I'm not able to answer until tomorrow.

Case: €81,00 BitFenix Prodigy M - schwarz, ohne Netzteil

Mobo: €90,28 MSI Z87M-G43, mATX, Sockel 1150

CPU: €208,02 Intel Core i5-4670K Tray,3,4 GHZ, 6MB Cache, LGA 1150, VGA

CPU Cooler: €30,40 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD                                             

RAM: €56,95 8GB Kingston HyperX blu. PC3-12800U CL10                                                            

GPU: €297,41 Special item: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 WindForce 3X, 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express     

Storage: €78,74 Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s                                                             

Storage: €87,66 Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA 6Gb/s                                     

PSU: €65,19 Corsair CX Series Modular CX600M, 600W                                                      

Optical: €11,95 LG DH18NS schwarz bare SATA II                                                                       

Total: €1007,60

Sorry, slightly over budget.

The case is black, for the same price you have a white one. So whatever he wants. 

Anyway, why I picked those components, basicly this will give you a great gaming experience! Will max out all current titles on 1080p. 

The 7970 is a great card for the price. The Haswell CPU is very powerfull and more then enough for gaming. I kept the parts that he wanted. 

Only thing I would probably safe for is an Asus sound card. 

Edit: in this video he is talking about a slim 3,5" mount. Now by the looks off it you should be able to fit the optical drive in there. But I dont know how the spacing will work out, as far as I can tell - I believe the graphic card will fit under it. Something i'll have to check later. You could always decide to go for an USB drive, but they are abit more expensive. (€25 for the cheapest one there) 

Does it work for Europe too?

Because some parts (eg the be quiet! PSU) don't exist on this site o:

Yeah, there's a version of pcpartpicker for Germany. Fyi, Europe is too large and generalized for future reference because of shop availability. 

Here you go: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/1CM43

Edit: Fixed my link.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Case: €81,00 BitFenix Prodigy M - schwarz, ohne Netzteil

Mobo: €90,28 MSI Z87M-G43, mATX, Sockel 1150

CPU: €208,02 Intel Core i5-4670K Tray,3,4 GHZ, 6MB Cache, LGA 1150, VGA

CPU Cooler: €30,40 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD                                             

RAM: €56,95 8GB Kingston HyperX blu. PC3-12800U CL10                                                            

GPU: €297,41 Special item: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 WindForce 3X, 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express     

Storage: €78,74 Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s                                                             

Storage: €87,66 Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA 6Gb/s                                     

PSU: €65,19 Corsair CX Series Modular CX600M, 600W                                                      

Optical: €11,95 LG DH18NS schwarz bare SATA II                                                                       

Total: €1007,60

Sorry, slightly over budget.

The case is black, for the same price you have a white one. So whatever he wants. 

Anyway, why I picked those components, basicly this will give you a great gaming experience! Will max out all current titles on 1080p. 

The 7970 is a great card for the price. The Haswell CPU is very powerfull and more then enough for gaming. I kept the parts that he wanted. 

Only thing I would probably safe for is an Asus sound card. 

Edit: in this video he is talking about a slim 3,5" mount. Now by the looks off it you should be able to fit the optical drive in there. But I dont know how the spacing will work out, as far as I can tell - I believe the graphic card will fit under it. Something i'll have to check later. You could always decide to go for an USB drive, but they are abit more expensive. (€25 for the cheapest one there) 

Thank you for the help, i'll give you a Medal of Honor key (Origin) for that, if you want ^-^

Good thing there's geizhals, a german website for hardware stuff like pcpartpicker.

You get products around 4% cheaper when you go to hardwareversand via geizhals, so the price is perfect!

The power supply doesn't have the right plugs though, the 7970 needs an 8-pin and a 6 pin.

I now took these parts, and it costs pretty much exactly 1000€ ^-^ 

http://geizhals.at/de/?cat=WL-349572

Edit: I'm also not sure about the 7970, since it only gives a 20% performance plus but costs 30% more

Thank you for the help, i'll give you a Medal of Honor key (Origin) for that, if you want ^-^

Good thing there's geizhals, a german website for hardware stuff like pcpartpicker.

You get products around 4% cheaper when you go to hardwareversand via geizhals, so the price is perfect!

The power supply doesn't have the right plugs though, the 7970 needs an 8-pin and a 6 pin.

I now took these parts, and it costs pretty much exactly 1000€ ^-^ 

http://geizhals.at/de/?cat=WL-349572

I have Medal of Honor but thanks anyway! Humble bundle! 

The PSU works, it has an 8 pin and 6 pin PCI-E cable. (PCI-E Cables are the ones you need to power the GPU)

It is aswell semi modulair wich will be awesome for a small case, you just plug in the cables you need. 

The ram you picked there is 1333Mhz instead off 1600. It's just speed, and that's it. For gaming this wont really mather, but for other things - it could. It is aswell only 1 stick (mine aswell, did not look for this carefully) 2 Sticks have a small performance increase since it's making use off the dual channel. 

I tried to look for your CPU cooler that you picked, I just think the 212 is more quite. I dont know about temps, I can't find much information off that cooler. 

I have Medal of Honor but thanks anyway! Humble bundle! 

The PSU works, it has an 8 pin and 6 pin PCI-E cable. (PCI-E Cables are the ones you need to power the GPU)

It is aswell semi modulair wich will be awesome for a small case, you just plug in the cables you need. 

The ram you picked there is 1333Mhz instead off 1600. It's just speed, and that's it. For gaming this wont really mather, but for other things - it could. It is aswell only 1 stick (mine aswell, did not look for this carefully) 2 Sticks have a small performance increase since it's making use off the dual channel. 

I tried to look for your CPU cooler that you picked, I just think the 212 is more quite. I dont know about temps, I can't find much information off that cooler. 

Okay then!

I didn't see that, the specs on geizhals just say something else then.

Yeah, that few bucks for the little extra speed (up to 5% maybe?) won't hurt. 

I found a benchmark for the cooler though 01.png

But I just saw the Thermaltake cooler doesn't fit in the case, so I'm going with the 212.

I found only a german unboxxing wich shows the Corsair CX600M with 2 times a 6+2 PCI-e cable. But im a little confused about this thing. Corsair site doesn't help me either! 

I assume the 2 cables that are hardwired are the 24-pin and 1 time an 8pin PCI-E (normally its the CPU power pin tho) and then you put the other PCI-e cable with the modulair 
cable into the PSU to get the 2nd 6pin connector powered.

Ill try to look for more information about it. I'll look around abit more, will update later.  

Im like 99% sure it will power that graphic card. 

Fyi, fixed my link--it's under 900 euros. For some reason, there was an overly expensive hdd in it at first.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Okay then!

I didn't see that, the specs on geizhals just say something else then.

Yeah, that few bucks for the little extra speed (up to 5% maybe?) won't hurt. 

I found a benchmark for the cooler though 01.png

But I just saw the Thermaltake cooler doesn't fit in the case, so I'm going with the 212.

Old ass benchmark look at the corsair units on it.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fyi, fixed my link--it's under 900 euros. For some reason, there was an overly expensive hdd in it at first.

Still shows the expensive HDD there for me! :o

Still shows the expensive HDD there for me! :o

I guess it's just a buggy link. Just use this instead: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003