Building my first gaming PC

fishnchipz

So I have decided to shell out for my first custom built PC. I have selected the parts through recommendations of friends. My budget is around £1000. This is the list of what I have so far: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nqxQTW

I would appreciate feedback and thoughts and potential improvements. The idea of building my first PC is still making me a little nervous but I think it should be fine.

Fish.  

How is the price on a 390 vs 390x in the UK? You might be able to save quite a bit on that. Also, you do not need such an expensive or high wattage PSU.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

8 minutes ago, fishnchipz said:

So I have decided to shell out for my first custom built PC. I have selected the parts through recommendations of friends. My budget is around £1000. This is the list of what I have so far: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nqxQTW

I would appreciate feedback and thoughts and potential improvements. The idea of building my first PC is still making me a little nervous but I think it should be fine.

Fish.  

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£199.96 @ More Computers) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (£45.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£121.63 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£81.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£65.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  (£274.94 @ More Computers) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£84.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£74.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £950.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-20 00:32 GMT+0000

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

The price difference is around £60 between the 390 and the 390x. Not all that much but a decent difference I guess. And the PSU is what I was recommended. Alternatives would be very nice.  I must confess though I am a big of a corsair fanboy so that could explain the PSU :P

If you're set on having a Corsair power supply, I would recommend the CX600M. I don't personally find fully modular PSU's necessary unless you're super focused on aesthetics. Plus, the CX-M series is cheaper than the fully modular series.

Ok that is nice to know and I will definitely take that into account. Any tips for the actual build. So far the things I have heard of are fairly obvious. Take your time, be careful for anti static discharge. There any other nice tips to make things easier. 

Don't fret too much on anti static discharge, just touch the case every now and then if you worry about it. If you're going to cable manage, do it as you install your parts because it's much easier to do that way. Double check that you have all your cables installed, I didn't have the SATA power from my PSU hooked up to my optical drive or my HDD, so I was flustered until I realized that.  And try not to put too much stress on your cables, put them in cable management holes that allow them some freedom, as opposed to having them torqued in such a way that it could put stress on them and potentially the motherboard connector. Other than those, just have fun and be careful!

Speaking of building your first gaming pc here's mine that I built in december.

Been working great for now :)

Case ► Corsair Carbide Series 300R (Just few days ago my 450D window arrived for the case)
Fans ► 4 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM & 1x Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
PSU ► EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80 Plus Gold 
MOBO ► MSI Z170A GAMING PRO 
RAM ► Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 2400 Mhz CL 12 (2x4GB) 
CPU ► Intel Skylake i5-6600K 
CPU Cooler ► Noctua NH-D15 
GPU ► MSI R9 390 Gaming 8GB 
SSD ► Samsung 250GB 850 EVO 
HDD ► Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm