1-2 Second Freezes While Gaming

Slottr

Ive been having some issues the past month while playing games, when something "large" happens, my game will freeze for a second or two and then resume to normal. 

By "large" things I mean when an explosion goes off, or a group of enemies spawn.

I have ran multiple tests on my hard drive to see if that is the issue and they have found no issues. My video card drivers are all up to date, and my memory seems to be doing alright from what I've seen with memtest.

Thanks

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

sounds like your pc just isn't powerful enough. if it has been in past, then there is the possibility that your pc is "full of shit" . id recommend a clean install of your os in that case. 

I'd say look at cpu or gpu usage, because that might be it or its just the game engine is crap and cant handle the draw calls.

1 minute ago, ben dover kid said:

sounds like your pc just isn't powerful enough. if it has been in past, then there is the possibility that your pc is "full of shit" . id recommend a clean install of your os in that case. 

Previous to the past month, I had been running Fallout 4 on ultra without any issues- now I see the problem in all games from Counter Strike Global Offensive to The Witcher 3.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

oh. well, have you checked your cpu/gpu usage? how about disc usage? some processes taking up all the performance? how about do a system restore? use ccleaner to clean up shit and fix registry issues? do a clean install of gpu drivers?

18 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Ive been having some issues the past month while playing games, when something "large" happens, my game will freeze for a second or two and then resume to normal. 

By "large" things I mean when an explosion goes off, or a group of enemies spawn.

I have ran multiple tests on my hard drive to see if that is the issue and they have found no issues. My video card drivers are all up to date, and my memory seems to be doing alright from what I've seen with memtest.

Thanks

Specs?

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

2 minutes ago, ben dover kid said:

oh. well, have you checked your cpu/gpu usage? how about disc usage? some processes taking up all the performance? how about do a system restore? use ccleaner to clean up shit and fix registry issues? do a clean install of gpu drivers?

i7 3770, GTX 970, 16GB memory, 3 TB black drive, 120GB SSD (for OS)

8 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Specs?

Replied to the wrong person sorry, but my specs are there^.

Just now, Slottr said:

i7 3770, GTX 970, 16GB memory, 3 TB black drive, 120GB SSD (for OS)

you shouldn't have any problems. do you have msi afterburner? record the monitor thingy and see if there is something fishy going on while gaming(your gpu is rated 3.5/4, just like mine. pretty good). have you made any big changes to your computer in these past few months? do you use windows 10 which is sending your gaming progress to nsa while gaming? you should look at turning that one off. how about reinstall the games? sometimes things can just get fucked up.

im gonna give u an example of things going haywire: i did a windows 10 clean install, windows, for some fucking reason figured about that it should do a dual boot with one corrupted windows 10, and one windows 10 which was barely working. also ended up losing all my data. and did i do something wrong? fuck no. you can't do anything more in a windows update than click "yes pls force windows 10 down my throat i love u microsoft" . sorry for my rant. 

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Replied to the wrong person sorry, but my specs are there^.

Motherboard and PSU? Any overclocking?

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    

1 minute ago, Kryptyx said:

Motherboard and PSU? Any overclocking?

Motherboard is an Intel DH77KC (ew I know), PSU is an EVGA 500W and no I haven't done any overclocking on this machine.

3 minutes ago, ben dover kid said:

you shouldn't have any problems. do you have msi afterburner? record the monitor thingy and see if there is something fishy going on while gaming(your gpu is rated 3.5/4, just like mine. pretty good). have you made any big changes to your computer in these past few months? do you use windows 10 which is sending your gaming progress to nsa while gaming? you should look at turning that one off. how about reinstall the games? sometimes things can just get fucked up.

im gonna give u an example of things going haywire: i did a windows 10 clean install, windows, for some fucking reason figured about that it should do a dual boot with one corrupted windows 10, and one windows 10 which was barely working. also ended up losing all my data. and did i do something wrong? fuck no. you can't do anything more in a windows update than click "yes pls force windows 10 down my throat i love u microsoft" . sorry for my rant. 

I havent gone to windows 10 yet (still on 7), and I have been frequently checking afterburner while gaming and there are no issues, all usages and temps are normal.

Just now, Slottr said:

I havent gone to windows 10 yet (still on 7), and I have been frequently checking afterburner while gaming and there are no issues, all usages and temps are normal.

this is one of those things that really suck for you. literally you have a beast pc which can run those games, nothing seems wrong, but still something is wrong. if anyone else can't figure out whats wrong id suggest just reinstalling the games, just like my windows update, shit happens. 

What about Event Viewer, anything show up there?

2 minutes ago, ben dover kid said:

this is one of those things that really suck for you. literally you have a beast pc which can run those games, nothing seems wrong, but still something is wrong. if anyone else can't figure out whats wrong id suggest just reinstalling the games, just like my windows update, shit happens. 

I just reinstalled CSGO to see if it would change anything, and still no luck.

2 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

What about Event Viewer, anything show up there?

Everything in event viewer seems to be normal- anything specific I should be looking for?

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Everything in event viewer seems to be normal- anything specific I should be looking for?

Just curious if anything popped up around the time you noticed the micro-stutters. I would try using DDU and reinstalling your drivers. There could be a program or service running that is eating up some of your resources as well. Hard to say. Since you're using a 970, I suspect you're playing at 1080p. Have you tried turning down settings and see if it still happens?

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I just reinstalled CSGO to see if it would change anything, and still no luck.

well that just sucks. did you clean registry + other crap with ccleaner(dont clean your browser cookies), it might help, who the fuck knows. also do a clean install of nvidia drivers. use optimized settings from nvidia experience? i mean, try anything, anything. use a latency checker recorder magic software(such as this: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml), you might be able to diagnose something

1 minute ago, Kryptyx said:

Just curious if anything popped up around the time you noticed the micro-stutters. I would try using DDU and reinstalling your drivers. There could be a program or service running that is eating up some of your resources as well. Hard to say. Since you're using a 970, I suspect you're playing at 1080p. Have you tried turning down settings and see if it still happens?

I have done that, yeah and still no luck, even on low settings.

benchmark all your system components to try and find out what is bottle-necking, if i had to guess it's a problem with the CPU and it may need replacing.

Hey look, my signature is invisible!

Pardon the intrusion but, does the screen flicker or it just freezes for 1-2 secs?

The screen will freeze for a second or two with repeating audio then go back to its normal state.

So I have just run Cinebench and 3D Marks Sky Diver and Fire Strike:

Cinebench had a score of 638 so thats alright

Sky Diver had a score of 21040

Fire Strike had a score of 8146

They all seemed to perform well, and got no freezing during any of the tests either.

Update on the graphics driver install: Done. But no changes, still freezing.

@Slottr kindly check your messages, I've sent links that might help you. I used to experience this in my old machine and the culprit was the RAM, it passed all the tests but later labeled as defective by the manufacturer. Also check your pagefile. Good luck!

Does the game you speak of happen to run on the source engine, specifically gmod?

I ask this because you brought up repeating audio.

Hey look, my signature is invisible!