Radiator Orientation Help (Phanteks Enthoo Pro)

I've recently swapped out my H440 for a Enthoo Pro full tower case by Phanteks. During the switch, I also swapped the orientation of my radiators as well just for fun. Well, as it happens I'm experiencing worse temperatures than before, and I'm curious to know if the orientation played a bigger part than I thought, or if something else is at play that I might be missing. I've included a picture to help visualize where I'm at. Here is what I have now:

• 280mm radiator acting as exhaust on the top
  • 120mm radiator acting as intake on the bottom
  • Stock 200mm fan as intake in the front
  • Stock 140mm fan as exhaust in the rear

CPU

H440: 28C at idle | 49C at load

Enthoo: 35C at idle | 56C at load

GPU

H440: 25C at idle | 47C at load

Enthoo: 31C at idle | 51C at load

(Stressed with Aida64 for ten minutes w/ everything at stock)

Am I just nitpicking here over a couple degrees or is this actually something worth re-orientating or placing the radiators in different spots/positions? Is there some other way I can optimize what I have? Any advice and insight is welcome, as I am a novice in this area.

And yes, I'm aware my cable management skills aren't the greatest.

IMG_20160219_140356901.thumb.jpg.a8b22a8

That's a 280mm radiator for the CPU...

Rather unexpected results, as H440 has quite small intake at the front.

I personally have a H110i GT and when I set the radiator to the front with fans in pull, I got worse temps (about 5C) than at top in push (because case does not allow pull at top).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

5 hours ago, jj9987 said:

That's a 280mm radiator for the CPU...

Rather unexpected results, as H440 has quite small intake at the front.

I personally have a H110i GT and when I set the radiator to the front with fans in pull, I got worse temps (about 5C) than at top in push (because case does not allow pull at top).

Ah yes so it is 280mm, whoops. I'll change it in my original post, thanks. That was my thought as well, I didn't think my temps should be doing worse. So you think it's worth redoing everything? I don't overclock or anything but I do like getting the most out of my set up wherever possible

9 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

- snip -

How were they set up in the H440? Have you tried using the 120 rad as an exhaust as it'd be dumping war air into the case instead of out

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

I'm sorry but in an Enthoo Pro that cable management is unacceptable :P

ok jokes aside

maybe the CPU block isnt properly seated and did you replace the thermal paste? You probably did but never fails to check

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

15 hours ago, vong said:

How were they set up in the H440? Have you tried using the 120 rad as an exhaust as it'd be dumping war air into the case instead of out

I hade my 280mm as an intake and the 120mm as an exhaust in my old case. Right now it's taking in fresh air from the bottom, but I could try throwing it in the rear like before. I just gotta double check and see if my stock 140mm will fit on the bottom. Does it really matter which side the fan is on a radiator?

9 hours ago, LukaH said:

I'm sorry but in an Enthoo Pro that cable management is unacceptable :P

ok jokes aside

maybe the CPU block isnt properly seated and did you replace the thermal paste? You probably did but never fails to check

The seating is correct and yes I used new thermal paste. I cleaned off the old stuff with some alcohol, as close to a hundred percent as I could find, then reapplied. I'm just not sure if I'm worrying too much about a few degrees here and there, or if I could really benefit from a slightly different set up.

Well the temperatures are not crazy high, so i would not worry too much just keep an eye on them.

On 2/21/2016 at 7:33 PM, LukaH said:

Well the temperatures are not crazy high, so i would not worry too much just keep an eye on them.

True, but a part of me also feels like I should be getting better temps since I'm not doing any kind of overclock and I did spend quite a lot on that CPU cooler. But you're right, can't complain too much I guess unless they get higher. Thanks for the input.

I know that feeling... you could try switching the GPU AIO and back case fan and see if that drops a few °C

1 hour ago, LukaH said:

I know that feeling... you could try switching the GPU AIO and back case fan and see if that drops a few °C

I think I will give that a try, thanks! Would you recommend switching the location of the fan on the rad as well? Like have the fan on the outside of the radiator as opposed to what it looks like now. Or does that not matter?

not sure what fans you are using but when i flipped my noctuas to push rather than pull my temps dropped about 3~4°C you could try that. 

On 19/02/2016 at 7:27 PM, Stylized_Violence said:

CPU

H440: 28C at idle | 49C at load

Enthoo: 35C at idle | 56C at load

GPU

H440: 25C at idle | 47C at load

Enthoo: 31C at idle | 51C at load

Only info missing here is the ambient temp..the relationship just seems to linear to be a case airflow issue. The GPU temp shouldn't get worse as it draws cooler air from the bottom.

On 20/02/2016 at 5:21 AM, vong said:

With adequate exhaust and positive air pressure, this shouldn't matter. I've got a 240mm rad(push/pull) as intake for x2 290X' and my mobo temp never exceeds 32 deg C

1 hour ago, LukaH said:

not sure what fans you are using but when i flipped my noctuas to push rather than pull my temps dropped about 3~4°C you could try that. 

Yeah I just got the stock fans from NZXT/EVGA, nothing really fancy. Worth a try though.

7 minutes ago, EdInk said:

Only info missing here is the ambient temp..the relationship just seems to linear to be a case airflow issue. The GPU temp shouldn't get worse as it draws cooler air from the bottom.

Ambient temp is around 23C/75F. I figured with the more open Enthoo Pro I should get better temps, and I know some have cautioned putting a rad beneath the video card as it can introduce problems. Not sure the reasoning, just things that I've heard. And like I mentioned, the temps aren't terrible or anything but still noticeable from my previous build.

10 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Yeah I just got the stock fans from NZXT/EVGA, nothing really fancy. Worth a try though.

Ambient temp is around 23C/75F. I figured with the more open Enthoo Pro I should get better temps, and I know some have cautioned putting a rad beneath the video card as it can introduce problems. Not sure the reasoning, just things that I've heard. And like I mentioned, the temps aren't terrible or anything but still noticeable from my previous build.

I swapped my 200mm fan with 2x 140 fans and that moved more air than a single 200mm in my Enthoo Luxe. 

20 hours ago, EdInk said:

I swapped my 200mm fan with 2x 140 fans and that moved more air than a single 200mm in my Enthoo Luxe. 

Really? Huh, I remember reading that one big fan moves more air than two smaller ones but perhaps I misread. I'll look into a good pair then. Any recommendations?

2 hours ago, LukaH said:

bequiet, noctua, noiseblocker are kinda top tier.

Thanks