Wireless charging possible?

So far the closest we have got to wireless charging for consumergrade stuff is a charging pad(what ever u call it =D) for ur phone and stuff , but the guys at Cota by Ossia have spent 10 years working on it to make it work effectively

“What we’re doing uses the same frequencies as Wi-Fi,” he explained. “It’s the unlicensed spectrum that’s used by Wi-Fi, and many phones, Bluetooth and Zigbee devices and so on in our lives. The nice thing about this frequency is that it’s just the sweet spot for our technology for distance, safety, for the size of the antennas and the hardware that we use, it’s just a perfect level. Also it’s well understood, since people have had Wi-Fi in their homes for a long time now.”

so basically they are using something every one has access to and they said that they will be doing a demo of it at Disrupt this week

it is supposed to give 10% of original source's power at a range of 10 feat

being only 10% its gona be slow so its most likely gona be good for things around the house which can be slowly charged throughout the day but im hoping in some many years from now it wil get a whole lot better

im guessing that the 10% is under good conditions

read more down below =]

sources

http://www.ossiainc.com/

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/09/cota-by-ossia-wireless-power/

Looks cool. 10% speed is decent, wall chargers are pretty fast nowadays. 10 feet range is also ok. This would be next to your computer or office desk so that every time you sit there your phone charges a bit.

Wireless charging is called Wireless Induction (See here, and here for more info). It's been around for a LONG time, GM's kickass prototype electric car the EV1 from the 1990's (96-98) used a Wireless Induction interface where you inserted a flat paddle into the car to charge. They did a live demonstration where they fully submerged the car into a water tank (mineralized water... you know, the stuff that will electrocute you) and was still able to safely charge it.

The big difficulty with Wireless Induction is that the greater the distance, the less efficient you get. As your article mentions, 10% at 10ft is, well, pretty awful. It would be fantastic for industrial applications where safety and difficulty forbid the use of physical cables.

For this to be used in a home-type situation? Complete waste. Imagine the rise in electricity bills if everything you charged or powered was using 90% more power than it needed because of inefficiencies. It might be alright for a small "power station" where you lop all your electronics and they charge at like 50% or 80% efficiency within a foot of the device.

This technology is awesome but still has a long ways to go.

My biggest hope for it is to see orbital power stations that run 24/7 collecting solar energy, and beam that power back down to earth via Microwave transmission to power receivers. Solar Power is so much more efficient in orbit, so if we could take advantage of that, we could come a LOT farther to solving global electricity demands.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

my toothbrush uses wireless charging to charge...mind: blown!

my toothbrush uses wireless charging to charge...mind: blown!

Mine as well :P I've had mine for what, 3 years now?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

this  is odd

most routers ive seen are at 80 Mw   thats 0.080 watts  and legal FCC limit is at 1 watt

Zeine said on stage today at Disrupt, highlighting range as well as health and safety.

health ?

this is worrying to me

there is a thousand studies that show that wireless radiation for phones wifi cell towers etc are ok

and another thousand that says its bad for u in the long run etc

i hate the "radiation is all around us" argument

naturally yes , it is at a safe limit

but artificial ones are above that

its quite a sensitive subject

because if ur talking to a father for example thats saying its fine

and ur saying its bad

ur basically saying ur hurting ur children

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

this  is odd

most routers ive seen are at 80 Mw   thats 0.080 watts  and legal FCC limit is at 1 watt

health ?

this is worrying to me

there is a thousand studies that show that wireless radiation for phones wifi cell towers etc are ok

and another thousand that says its bad for u in the long run etc

i hate the "radiation is all around us" argument

naturally yes , it is at a safe limit

but artificial ones are above that

its quite a sensitive subject

because if ur talking to a father for example thats saying its fine

and ur saying its bad

ur basically saying ur hurting ur children

In terms of the whole "radiation" thing:

There are two kinds of radiation:

1. Ionizing Radiation (Stuff like Gamma rays, nuclear radiation, etc) - This is the NASTY stuff. Ionizing radiation passes through DNA and destroys/modifies it. This is the primary cause of cancer (damaged DNA, either through genetic birth defect, or through external forces such as radiation).

2. Non-ionizing Radiation - This would be things like Radio Waves, wifi signals, etc. Non-ionizing radiation does not affect DNA at all. No study has ever shown non-ionizing radiation to damage DNA.

Now basically, there have been a TON of studies out there. They all either say 1 of 3 things:

1. Non-ionizing radiation, cell phone/wifi use, etc, is completely harmless, and there is zero basis for concern.

2. Results are inconclusive. They can't say for sure that wireless use causes radiation, but they can't say for sure that it doesn't either.

3. Results are negative but in an inconclusive or unclear manner. These types of studies often show a significant amount of participants get cancer, though they cannot say how those participants got the cancer.

Until a scientific study can CONCLUSIVELY say that Non-ionizing radiation can damage or alter DNA, then I'm fully of the opinion that it is safe for human use. I believe this because all the proper scientific studies (read: Not ones ordered by politicians with ulterior motives and conducted by non-professionals) have shown that it is not a health or safety issue.

Could I be wrong? Sure, but the facts and results don't point to that.

In terms of the whole "radiation" thing:

There are two kinds of radiation:

1. Ionizing Radiation (Stuff like Gamma rays, nuclear radiation, etc) - This is the NASTY stuff. Ionizing radiation passes through DNA and destroys/modifies it. This is the primary cause of cancer (damaged DNA, either through genetic birth defect, or through external forces such as radiation).

2. Non-ionizing Radiation - This would be things like Radio Waves, wifi signals, etc. Non-ionizing radiation does not affect DNA at all. No study has ever shown non-ionizing radiation to damage DNA.

Now basically, there have been a TON of studies out there. They all either say 1 of 3 things:

1. Non-ionizing radiation, cell phone/wifi use, etc, is completely harmless, and there is zero basis for concern.

2. Results are inconclusive. They can't say for sure that wireless use causes radiation, but they can't say for sure that it doesn't either.

3. Results are negative but in an inconclusive or unclear manner. These types of studies often show a significant amount of participants get cancer, though they cannot say how those participants got the cancer.

Until a scientific study can CONCLUSIVELY say that Non-ionizing radiation can damage or alter DNA, then I'm fully of the opinion that it is safe for human use. I believe this because all the proper scientific studies (read: Not ones ordered by politicians with ulterior motives and conducted by non-professionals) have shown that it is not a health or safety issue.

Could I be wrong? Sure, but the facts and results don't point to that.

What about electromagnetic radiation

Like people living under power cables

Didn't those people get braid tumours ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

What about electromagnetic radiation

Like people living under power cables

Didn't those people get braid tumours ?

I would say that whether those people got brain tumours or not from electromagetic radiation is inconclusive. How long did they live under the power lines? Was there a history of brain tumours in their family? Did they have any exposure to ionizing radiation elsewhere in their lives, through work, etc?

Correlation does not equal causation.

The noted health risks of electromagnetic radiation from powerlines is heating of biological tissue (You can even receive skin burns if exposed to powerful enough fields). However, this can only happen with extremely powerful transmissions (those giant power lines coming out of power plants, etc), for which in most countries it is illegal to have any residential dwellings underneath because of other safety issues (unintentional wireless induction is actually one of the potential safety issues, as a current and electrical shock can sometimes be transferred, or the starting of a fire).

EMR actually comes in two classes as well: Low Frequency EMR is non-ionizing (Such as Radio Frequency, Microwave transmissions, and Wifi).

High Frequency EMR is ionizing and thus could cause cancer and brain tumours. This would include the upper section of light rays, x-rays, and gamma rays.

So no, people living under power cables shouldn't get brain tumours BECAUSE of the power cables... but they shouldn't live there anyway because a fire could start, etc.

I would say that whether those people got brain tumours or not from electromagetic radiation is inconclusive. How long did they live under the power lines? Was there a history of brain tumours in their family? Did they have any exposure to ionizing radiation elsewhere in their lives, through work, etc?

Correlation does not equal causation.

The noted health risks of electromagnetic radiation from powerlines is heating of biological tissue (You can even receive skin burns if exposed to powerful enough fields). However, this can only happen with extremely powerful transmissions (those giant power lines coming out of power plants, etc), for which in most countries it is illegal to have any residential dwellings underneath because of other safety issues (unintentional wireless induction is actually one of the potential safety issues, as a current and electrical shock can sometimes be transferred, or the starting of a fire).

EMR actually comes in two classes as well: Low Frequency EMR is non-ionizing (Such as Radio Frequency, Microwave transmissions, and Wifi).

High Frequency EMR is ionizing and thus could cause cancer and brain tumours. This would include the upper section of light rays, x-rays, and gamma rays.

So no, people living under power cables shouldn't get brain tumours BECAUSE of the power cables... but they shouldn't live there anyway because a fire could start, etc.

hmmm interesting

thank you for the info