Google Chrome Vs Firefox

Go to solution Solved by Shoob,

Chrome has one big advantage (and imo, the only one) - it's multiprocess. This greatly improves the speed and responsiveness of the browser, but also makes it more resource heavy (which shouldn't be a problem with modern PCs). The people building Firefox are working on implementing the same thing too - Electrolysis. If implemented correctly, that should make Firefox feel much faster than it currently is. 

If you are comfortable with Firefox, stick with it, it's fast enough to not disrupt your workflow. I use it as my default browser, because I can't stand how limited the customization of Chrome is and for the most part how the UI looks. I switch to it (or other Blink based browsers) when watching streams, because it handles Flash way better and don't slow down other tabs (due to being multiprocess). I generally trust Mozilla way more than Google, because they are a non-profit organization and their products are open source, but that's another thing.

I was thinking about looking at chrome, but which is better in your opinion because I have always used firefox

#FirefoxMasterRace I love Firefox and hate Google Chrome.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

chrome ! i have been using it for years and its awsome

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Just now, LiamApex said:

chrome ! i have been using it for years and its awsome

what about it is so nice?

1 minute ago, LunarMagicGaming said:

I was thinking about looking at chrome, but which is better in your opinion because I have always used firefox

I used to use Firefox and it's still my default browser. I usually use it for things I don't want to save and you could argue that there's private browsing/incognito to do the same thing, however, with firefox, i have a few saved passwords and every time I close it, it deletes cookies and wipes history so essentially, same thing as private browsing. 

The reason I do this is cause on Google Chrome, I sign-in and it's where everything I use is connected. I wouldn't want random search results to adhere to a link I randomly opened and is some weird thing my friend may have sent me. 

In short, I use both. Chrome for personal stuff and to get stuff done and Firefox for unknown territory/unsaved history. 

I use Chrome for video and FF for everything else.  Chrome just does GPU acceleration so much better.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I used to use Firefox, but scrolling lags when opening a new tab on all the systems I've tested it on and it's only one process. Google Chrome doesn't lag, integrates better with Google products and is multithreaded, with many processes.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Chrome has one big advantage (and imo, the only one) - it's multiprocess. This greatly improves the speed and responsiveness of the browser, but also makes it more resource heavy (which shouldn't be a problem with modern PCs). The people building Firefox are working on implementing the same thing too - Electrolysis. If implemented correctly, that should make Firefox feel much faster than it currently is. 

If you are comfortable with Firefox, stick with it, it's fast enough to not disrupt your workflow. I use it as my default browser, because I can't stand how limited the customization of Chrome is and for the most part how the UI looks. I switch to it (or other Blink based browsers) when watching streams, because it handles Flash way better and don't slow down other tabs (due to being multiprocess). I generally trust Mozilla way more than Google, because they are a non-profit organization and their products are open source, but that's another thing.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

I'm a Web Developer and much prefer Chrome to any other browser. It has gotten a little heavy over the years but it's still very reliable. It's also nice using things like Chrome Remote Desktop to remote in to another computer. I love having everything sync'd as well, I'm sure FF has similar functionality now but I think FF fell behind in many areas.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

8 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

I'm a Web Developer and much prefer Chrome to any other browser. It has gotten a little heavy over the years but it's still very reliable. It's also nice using things like Chrome Remote Desktop to remote in to another computer. I love having everything sync'd as well, I'm sure FF has similar functionality now but I think FF fell behind in many areas.

11 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

looks like i shall make the switch!

30 minutes ago, LunarMagicGaming said:

what about it is so nice?

well gpu acceleration is really good, it looks nice and is smooth. 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

1 minute ago, LiamApex said:

well gpu acceleration is really good, it looks nice and is smooth. 

I like this :D

i use both, main being firefox and chrome to support. i can't deal with chromes smaller tabs things but i feel firefox is not as fast as it could be

Used opera, Loved opera browser control via voice,. annoyed when opera start use blink engine(chronium), but now more less ok.  And also opera is fast. :)

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

I'm a firefox fan and I also use Chrome. Firefox can be tweaked to run way faster in the settings have a look here

Firefox. It has a lot more addons and allows those addons more control so you can really make the browser into anything you want it to be.

Meanwhile if you use Chrome it syncs with either your ip address or your chrome/gmail account and google keeps a record of literally everything you do online. They also participate in operation prism which means they give the U.S. government full access to their data regardless of if you are a U.S. citizen or not so even if you trust Google not to be creepy you also need to trust the U.S. Government.
PRISM%203.jpg

On top of that you also need to trust Google employees not to be malicious.
http://www.wired.com/2010/09/google-spy/

Google's complete lack of belief that their users are entitled to any form of privacy and willingness to share that information without the user's consent is a complete dealbreaker for me.

On 2/18/2016 at 2:39 PM, Kryptyx said:

Firefox has equivalent sync functionality to chrome (sign into fx account and it can sync bookmarks/passwords/history/addons/preferences/tabs. Works the same as chrome's does except you sign into a firefox account instead of a google account).

Also, since people have been mentioning multi-process as chrome's main advantage here, it's worth mentioning that firefox should have basic multi-process functionality in the near future (I believe currently planned for firefox 46) that splits the content and chrome into separate processes. Not as ideal as chrome's more mature implementation but it's a big improvement that resolves most of the UI hangs one sees in firefox.

I'd suggest people give firefox developer edition a try to preview it (it has multi-process as well as async pan zoom enabled by default which are a big improvement to firefox's UI and scrolling responsiveness.

On 2/18/2016 at 2:28 PM, Husky said:

I used to use Firefox, but scrolling lags when opening a new tab on all the systems I've tested it on and it's only one process.

This is mostly fixed with multi-process and Async pan zoom (which as mentioned above is enabled by default in the dev edition of firefox if you want to try it).